1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is the PC dead?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by trickson, Dec 4, 2013.

?

Is the PC dead?

Poll closed Dec 11, 2013.
  1. Yes.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. No.

79 vote(s)
    94.0%
  3. In a few more years.

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Maleko

Maleko

Thanks Received:
    I have dual screen, one because I love dual screens, second I use dual screen for photo editing, Bride in one screen and photoshop on the other, thirdly BF4 is awesome with dual screen with the battlescreen :p

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    worthless two months after purchase? you are doing something wrong. if you do anything more than word processing and email, then you don't want a tablet. imo watching movies on a 10" tablet is not as enjoyable as a 23" monitor or hooked to an hdtv. yes tablets CAN hook to tvs but controlling it while it's on there is awkward and for me it just wasn't good enough.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i do that daily with a spare galaxy s3 here. they can use bluetooth mice nad keyboards very easily.

digibucc says thanks.
  4. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    I do the same thing on my iPad sitting in the kitchen and drinking hot cup of coffe :toast:
    For things like e-mail and web-surfing I rarely use my laptop.

There is a funny thing about the dual monitors:
    When i'm working on something like web design projects or coding - i use my tablet as a secondary tool for viewing reference docs or checking designs in an alternative environment :)

So maybe i was wrong ...

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you are going to be hardcore gaming then a desktop is the way to go. If you are only surfing/documents/videos/ light gaming (old HL games, FB games, anything older really) then get a new touch screen tablet with windows 8

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    fair point, i was talking about the device itself being awkward, buying a bluetooth mouse for it would be better. I don't have any bluetooth peripherals though and won't buy them for that.

7. Maleko

Maleko

Thanks Received:
    Most of the time the 'average joe' won't know how to do that or even that they CAN do that, but the feature is great non the less :)

8. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My grandma is no longer popular, therefore she must be dead

^ Journalism Logic ^

silentbogo and Mussels say thanks.
  9. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    Troll thread. Nothing to see here, move along...

10. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Apart from some 'interesting' avatars.

11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    How would you ever use excel or any kind of real power task with a tablet, thats what I don't understand.

12. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    as was mentioned, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. i have an asus transformer that docks into a keyboard. it's possible on the tablet alone but obviously not very productive.

13. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I've not really thought trickson was trolling. I think he's genuinely wondering, what with the rapid expansion of technology (who can blame him), if the desktop/PC has been left behind. The answer is, a little, but it's not forgotten and and certainly not dead, for what it's now best for. It's a little like a large family with several children, and a new baby comes home. The oldest child may not be the "child of the day", but it doesn't mean he is unloved or unwanted, or that he doesn't still have a vital role in the family.

Anyway, trickson just wanted to know the state of things now, and I don't believe the guy was trolling.

14. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I don't think he's trollling. Ok, the title should have been "Should I build a new PC or get a tablet?" but if you read the post is pretty obvious what is he talking about.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    quote="trickson, post: 3028083, member: 4654"]Been debating, Should I even build a new computer or not? I have seen the tablets that are out and love them they do every thing and more than any icrap! But is there a need any more for the big bulky desktop any more? The tablets are faster too. Is this the end of the desktop? I just do not see spending thousands and know in 2 months it is worthless like the stuff I have now and for what 350 you can have a tablet now? I can see the PC gaming industry is dead as well. Xbox one and PS4 are the real game platforms any way, Right?

What do you think?[/quote]
    I d

I don't think I could possibly disagree more ?;)

More than 25k PPD
  16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    At the heart of the inflammatory reporting on PC decline I'd say data interpretation is at fault. Most of the gamers I see buying laptops and tablets already have a decent desktop. You have one market at saturation and others that are expanding, but not often at the expense of PCs. Blame Intel, Nvidia, and AMD for limited advancements. Blame consoles for holding back games. When there's a reason to upgrade older hardware you can expect better sales.

17. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    I've just finished working on my resume on the iPad :)

18. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    i'm sorry bud but that's not a power task. and it doesn't negate the fact that using a tablet to do REAL every day work without a keyboard or mouse is simply nonsensical. yes i can edit php code and fix issues with my tablet, but i wouldn't use it EVERY day to do my job it would just be a pain.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i could connect my mouse and keyboard to my spare S3 here and connect it to my HDTV and browse TPU all day, but i cant easily do what i'm doing now - three browsers, 150+ tabs, a HD movie and four chat programs.

(ya know, i'll actually try that for lulz now)

remixedcat and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  20. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    From a 'Coon's point of view, it's easier for me to steal your phones and tablets than you're deadweight PC's that nobody wants to buy off of me.

Mussel's S3 is easy to walk into a shop and flog. His 18 gorillabyte PC however is heavy and a pain in the ass, and pawn shops rarely purchase whole systems.

digibucc, Mussels and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  21. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Feel ya on that one. But there should be a reason why so many people buy All-In-Ones and laptops comparing to the high-end desktops.

this is a quote from an old article from the computer world magazine, just to warm up before this:
    [​IMG]
    So, we might be starting another holywar here, but the statistics is not lying.

digibucc says thanks.
  22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    my actual screen is a 32" toshiba tv usually i have my 2 24".

back when i had my Toshiba Folio 100 working i used it on a HDMI 26" screen with a bluetooth logitech keyboard and a Razer Orochi mouse, usefull for film mail and internet when you don't want or need to start your computer but not practical for the rest :D

23. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, the PC is not dead (yet). It will only die if another DECENT alternative become available. And tablets, notebooks, "ultrabooks" will never be an alternative for me. The PC is still much better, especially if you don't go out like me.

And where I live, the chances of you coming back to your house with your tablet, notebooks or ultrabooks (and alive) are not the highest. You're safer at home.

And if you're safer at home, the PC is the best solution.

See the mouse(hardware), after so many years and it is still alive. Why? > Because no decent or more comfortable alternatives were invented (not for me).

But if the PC dies, and no other decent solutions are available. Then I will die together with it (not literally).

That's just my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  24. RCoon

Thanks Received:
    Do you live in the gypsy part of Romania or something? Those guys chased me down a dirt path whilst wielding a scythe. Craziest holiday I ever had.

25. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    No.