• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is the PC dead?

Is the PC dead?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • No.

Votes: 79 94.0%
  • In a few more years.

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
So, we might be starting another holywar here, but the statistics is not lying.

well PC's market share diminishing is to be expected. no logical person would expect them to ALWAYS be at the top. this has been talked about before, and one often overlooked reason mentioned is that: you don't need to buy a new computer as often as those other devices if you want to stay up to date. you have to entirely replace your phone every few years whereas a pc can just get upgraded. and when the current pc's hardware handles EVERYTHING they need, why upgrade it when you can get a new toy for the same price?

my point is, just because people aren't buying new PCs as often doesn't mean they're dying. imo they are settling to a more sensible market share.

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
I don't think he's trollling. Ok, the title should have been "Should I build a new PC or get a tablet?" but if you read the post is pretty obvious what is he talking about.

Look at how he phrased his post. He comes in here, trashes Apple, calls the PC worthless and a waste of money, says PC gaming is dead and calls consoles the real gaming platform...how exactly is that NOT troll? His post in intentionally inflammatory, completely false and meant to inspire an arguement on a forum devoted to PCs and PC gaming. That is the very definition of troll. Now please stop posting in the thread and close it, it's ignorant and the OP hasn't posted recently either.

System Name W.I.P.
Your PC may dead, however mine isn't. It's a contantly living, evolving, and breathing creation of my design that will do basically whatever I need it to do. Anything else is just child's play and the reason I discovered this hobby, always interesting.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tablets are nifty and all but holy fuck does my neck hurt when I use them? It does. You essentially have to be curled on couch to use it without injury.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I checked mine and while it doesn't respond to verbal questioning I did turn off voice features......but no its not dead.

There are still so many things a PC does that tablets, laptops, and phones don't, and while they may slowly catch up it falls back to the "we will never need more than 640kb" argument, as things get faster its the ones who push the envelope that pave the way for the followers. The PC is and will be the leading hardware machine, fastest CPU's, GPU's, memory, highest capacity for change, evolution, revolution, and sets the bar for the other devices.

I use a laptop for work, and its OK, I have tried some tablets at work, my phones are nice, but I still use my compy.

Wow, is this question poorly structured. There are two problems here, which lead me to my answer of no.

1) What do you define as a personal computer? Is a tablet, a desktop, or a laptop the PC; perhaps all three and more are PCs.
2) Death really never comes to hardware. Terminology changes, and that which once existed is evolved to fit our current needs.

Let's strip the first statement down. A PC can be defined in a multitude of ways, but none of which is power consumption. A tablet, desktop, laptop, smartphone, and console video game system all process data via a CPU and GPU. They each output their data to a screen, and interpret user inputs to influence what they output. By that definition, the PC is alive and well. There are more smart devices out there than ever before, meaning that more PCs are available than ever before. I see no way that this would lead people to conclude the death or death knell of the PC.

The cloud is basically a series of servers. Servers were an evolution of the mainframe. The mainframe was a beefy computer designed for interaction with multiple PCs. Likewise, the tablet is the successor to the laptop, which was a portable version of the PC. Smartphones are a tangential evolution of the tablet, and therefor share a common ancestor. You might say that no computer hardware ever dies, it evolves into something better suited to whatever niche it is currently occupying.

Now, the point that new PC sales are down is interesting. This can be attributed to two main factors, no regular OS updates and immensely powerful PCs without the need for upgrades. Assuming that we can not start a flame war, I would posit that windows 8 is not gaining traction. It has its place one touch interface devices, but the PC is not generally touch screen. Arguably, this means the an upgrade to windows 8 isn't a reasonable expense for most users. That lack of a worthwhile (in people's opinion) upgrade on the OS side is crippling upgrade PC sales. Sandy Bridge is a surprisingly awesome set of silicon. It has been over three years, and SB is still where the overclocking (for raw numbers) is at. Most general users could still theoretically be on a Core2 quad, without appreciable dips in office applications. Though the high end is pushing forward, the average user isn't seeing a need to go out and buy a new PC when the one they've got still runs everything fine.

You can say that the PC is dead in the same way that cellular phones killed the wired phone. It has just about as much relevance, and every single big box retailer that I've been to still has a section dedicated to wired phones and prefabbed desktops.