• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is there a big difference with sound cards?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
if you have shit Chinese $15 headset or speakers, a $200 sound card will not make them sound any better.
You'd be surprised. Running it through the crappy little speakers on my monitor actually made quite a bit of difference, with the sound having a lot more treble and sounding much punchier, although still poor, lol. A lot of that is due to the extensive eq available on the X-Fi cards, of course. And of course, one needs to run it through a decent amp and speakers/headphones to get the full benefit.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
There is a noticeable difference, yes. The biggest differences I've noticed rely on what the analog outputs have for op-amps and what the software allows for EQ tuning and shaping and the form of signal boosters. Going from onboard years ago to an old X-Fi Xtreme Music was a MAJOR difference. Going from that card to a much more expensive Auzentech X-Fi Forte was a slight difference but that card better handled the style of sound I liked (bass heavy), and had a headphone amp on rear and front outputs.

I also own an Aune T1, which is a solid investment if you want a quality and affordable external sound solution.

Something else to keep in mind is how you drive what you're listening to. Right now and for over a year I have been using optical to my Denon AVR 1613, relying on my sound card only for its EQ. I recently removed the sound card due to driver issues/bugs I was done dealing with and downloaded Equalizer APO and then found a 32-band EQ to tune my wound with.. My onboard is the not-stellar Realtek ALC1150, and it is doing a fine job of sending the digital sound signals to my receiver. What am I getting at here? Well depending on your output choice you may or may not notice. If using digital, odds are you won't notice from your sound card... my Denon is doing processing to convert the sound to analog at this point. I am again pushing an EQ'd sound signal to my receiver.

Now if you are using your analog connections, then a better sound card will make a difference. Going from the onboard ALC 8xx series on my old lady's P61 board (specs in sig), to an Asus DX or GX ($30 PCI version) was very noticable. We have an old pair of refurbished Logitech X-230's and they also use headphones on that PC a lot...so direct analog connections to the PC. This is where a good sound card can make the most difference. A good sound card does not have to be $100, 200 or 300+. Really, I feel that if you're used to cheap sound...and you feel it sounds good, you might not find the value in something that creates a similar sound that costs way more...depends on how sensitive to sound changes you really are.

I really like the cheap Asus sound cards, even with stock drivers. I also miss my old X-Fi XtremeMusic, that card was truly a gem. The Auzen Forte is good, but its drivers were a nightmare and newer drivers are no longer being made for this card that I could find...there were some from one or two years ago iirc.

It really depends on the sound you want too...honestly it pays to keep it simple because audio gear gets expensive very fast. I got into audio, next thing I know I have a $300 pair of Denon D2000's, a $120 sound card, a $250 receiver, a $400 pair of HE-400's, a $100 pair of JVC HA-DX3's, etc. etc. etc.... and honestly I've stayed on the cheaper side of things. Other users here can add a couple zeroes to the end of what I've spent.

If you're happy with it, don't change it, if you want change, be specific in what you want from your sound and if possible go somewhere and test different hardware (tough to do for many). :toast:

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
Here are my 2 cents: lots of people are convinced modern day Mobo's are equipped with decent or sufficient audio codecs and only if you are audiophile or you are having 500 bucks headphones you need a dedicated DAC for them. That may be true, but my humble experience show otherwise.

Few years ago I bought very cheap Creative 24 bit live, which is running the same audio chip as the 2 times more expensive Creative Music X-Fi. Well I had an expensive MoBo then, but WOW what a difference in the audio. Everything from Youtube, Skype, games sounded SO much better. Since then I've never run onboard audio to my financial ability. Right now I have Creative X-Fi go Pro + JVC RX700 (budget setup I know), but I am planning to get a higher class USB sound card since my next build is hopefully mini ITX.

I'd say this: know how you use your audio - whether you are a Headphone person or a Speaker person and if you get a deal on a sound card- get it. I mean I paid 10 EUR, back then it really wasn't that big of a deal.

System Name No Name
Processor i7 980 @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard GA-X99M-GAMING
Video Card(s) MSU Gaming X 1070
Audio Device(s) X7 Creative LE
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard K95 Corsair RGB Blue
Hey everyone, I just have a general question about sound cards. I have been using the same one for a few years now. Its a rocketfish sound card which is basically a rebranded audigy se that i payed around 30 bux for. so my question is if i where to upgrade to a really expensive sound card would I notice a huge difference.
depends, if you play PC games (especially FPS) go for Creative Zx for surround sound. It's also good for music without breaking your bank, and lasts for many years :) Cheers!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You hear it in the speakers or form the AC adapter itself?
Yeah, if I get up really close to it I can hear the squeal coming from the AC adapter. I suspect it's inductor wine from a high frequency VRM that's oscillating at a resonant frequency. I suspect the resonant frequency changes when you plug in the iPod because when you put current on the output capacitors, you're changing the characteristics of the circuit. So it makes sense that the pitch drops when the iPod is plugged in. It also doesn't have a choke on the USB cable because there is no cable. The dock is entirely enclosed. There is probably a RCL circuit involved at some point. It's worth noting that the AC adapter is weird, it doesn't have a 0v ground, it produces something like +17v and -17v, probably to drive the output on the DAC, so I suspect something weird is happening with the conversion... maybe a transformer is oscillating or something. Who knows.

Either way, I do feel that if you don't have good headphones, a good audio device won't mean anything. I've used nice headphones before, but flat response headphones kind of changes everything for the better for me.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Yeah, if I get up really close to it I can hear the squeal coming from the AC adapter

I would have got mad and discarded the device in your place :D

Either you or the postman :D(didn't use Mailman for a reason :D) dropped it, and the transformer coils are deformed inside(gap), but in most cases, poor design as such. +/-17? Well only if there is further inside a circuit that creates artificial zero, such low currents why not.

Flat response? I wonder what you mean by that? AKG K550? They are boobless flat :D, I use Beyerdynamic DT-150, they are not actually flat, they have raised a bottom bit, but sound very straight, critical and honest and look ugly as hell :D. But driving them is very tough, 250Ohms, they doesn't feel good at low voltages, like sound cards deliver.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
You'd be surprised. Running it through the crappy little speakers on my monitor actually made quite a bit of difference, with the sound having a lot more treble and sounding much punchier, although still poor, lol. A lot of that is due to the extensive eq available on the X-Fi cards, of course. And of course, one needs to run it through a decent amp and speakers/headphones to get the full benefit.
I am still inclined to say that one will notice a bigger improvement in sound if they change speakers or headset first.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
I am still inclined to say that one will notice a bigger improvement in sound if they change speakers or headset first.

The most important thing that many notice only... The new card goes to eleven lol. Not the fidelity.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus b450F ROG Strix
Cooling 3 case fans plus deepcool maxx V2 cpu heatsink
Memory 16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3060 TI
Storage 3 SSD's, 1 Samsung 970 Evo NVME and 2 sata (Crucial 1 TB and ADATA 480 GB) and 2 sata hardrives
Display(s) 27 inch Asus 75hz gaming monitor
Case NZXT h500i black
Power Supply Corsair cx650m 650 watt psu
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Keyboard Inland RGB mechanical keyboard with blue optical switches.
Software windows 10 64 bit
I have some headphones i got from garden ridge fridge for about 15 bucks. There pretty good for gaming and music. audio sounds pretty clear on them actually for what I payed for. There also semi noise cancelling which I like as well. Only issue I have with them I wish they where a little bit louder. Some games sound quieter with them than others.

Also when I wear them I can't hear my loud ass pc which is a definate plus. I have 8 fans in my rig lol.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Oh yes, absolutely. Indeed, changing those are the single biggest improvement one can make to sound by a country mile.

It's just surprising how audible the differences between electronics are though, even through cheap speakers or headphones. Comparing the X-Fi card with a previous cheapie, but decent Creative card and the onboard sound will all processing settings to flat, still revealed noticeably more presence and clarity than you'd think, even through those tinny monitor speakers. I wouldn't have believed this was possible had I not tried it myself years ago.

Back in the 80s, I had a decent 3-head tape deck* and two sets of headphones, one supercheap around £5 and one reasonable pair for about £80, but not audiophile by any standards. The supercheaps had a pretty crap sound as you might expect, especially the midrange, sounding all peaky and boxy, but could surprisingly kick ass with the bass. The big surprise was that the quality drop of the analog recording was somewhat more obvious using the cheap headphones than the better ones, even with metal tape. I don't know exactly why that was, but I suspect that it was due to the poorer treble and the peaky midrange which did it, with the decent treble of the better headphones masking some of the quality loss in the midrange, perhaps. Also, back then, I used to record off FM radio which has never exactly been a high quality signal source.

*A Denon DR-M33HX for cassette deck enthusiasts.

MarioOVER9000

Well.. you will notice some difference but it won't be huge unless you have really good speakers/headphones.