1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there a Socket 478 Mobo with SATA 2?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by reddragon105, Aug 16, 2006.

1. reddragon105 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need some new hard drives. Partly because one has completely failed and partly because I need more storage space. Because the price difference is negligible I've bought a pair of SATA 2 hard drives even though my motherboard will only run them at ATA-150 instead of ATA-300.

But then I started looking for a new motherboard to see if I could easily swap my Asus P4P800-E Deluxe for a similar board, just a more recent model that supports SATA 2. The simple answer is, no. I can't find a board that supports SATA 2 without it being a different socket to my P4 478 (meaning I'll need a new CPU), with PCI-E ports (meaning I'll need a new graphics card) and DDR2 slots (meaning I'll need new RAM) and, for some strange reason, lacking firewire ports (meaning I won't be able to connect my camcorder and do the video editing that I bought the nice, spacious, fast, new hard drives for).

So what gives? Admittedly I've pretty much limited my search to Asus motherboards, because I've got one at the moment and have been totally satisified with it and would like to stick with them if possible, but I would like to find a new board that will allow me to upgrade to SATA2 without having to buy all new components. I suppose I wouldn't mind switching to P4 socket 775, but I'd still need new graphics and RAM and be without firewire.

Can anyone recommend a decent board for me?
  2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well u dont need sata2 on ur hard drives. they will run at sata150 speeds. and to answer your question i havnt seen a single skt478 mobo with sata2.
  3. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I haven't seen one either, but alot of them have SATA1, mine does and my PC just cruises. My IC7 has firewire. Abit IC7 are nice boards look into them, they overclock fantastically, but for us socket 478 users its about time to upgrade to a new platform. I'm going to squeeze one more year out of my system.
  4. savor_of_filth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope...
  5. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. reddragon105 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i know the SATA2 hard drives will run at SATA1 on my mobo, so i don't *need* a SATA2 mobo, it's just that i would like one. my PC is geared towards video editing, which is why i've gone for huge and fast hard drives and i'd like to get the full potential out of them.

I guess i can quite happily run them at ATA150 until the time comes to get a SATA2 motherboard and upgrade the rest of my system. I was just wondering if I should make that time now...
  7. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    from what i read the bandwidth provided by ide isnt used up never mind sata 1 and certainly not sata 2..

sata cables are neat thow.. he he

extra bandwidth will only produce extra speed if that bandwidth is needed or used.. if it isnt its all pie in the sky as are lots of things do to with a PC..

extra bandwidth just gives the "possibility" of more speed.. on its own it does nothing..

trog

trog