1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there any difference between 1000 DPI and 2000 DPI?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Weer, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, apperently, the Microsoft Wireless 5000 mouse has a 1000 DPI laser, and can last for months without new battaries.

On the other hand, the Logitech G7 has a 2000 DPI laser, but needs a change of battaries every few hours.

So, is there really that big of a difference between 1000 and 2000 DPI that the battary life goes from months to hours, and if so, is it really worth it?

Thank You!

2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It has to do with the number of times/second the position of the mouse is reported to the USB HUB and transfered/verified to the display monitor. Higher DPI is better for Aiming in FPS games like COD, but long battery life may be more important in RPG's like WOW.

:toast:

3. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    But I keep hearing people say that they neer raise their DPI level above 800 because it's just too much. Would the extra 1000 DPI really make a difference, and how would 1000 DPI compare to Infra-Red?

4. AsGStorm New Member

Thanks Received:
    of course, the higher DPI = more sensitive = better for gaming. i wouldn't bother caring if about the battery, don't get wireless. instead get a wired one, alot better.

5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Realy depend on the components of the computer and the game your playing, Higher DPI is more accurate and reacts faster if your rig can handle it.

What kind of games do you play?, and fill out your SPECS using the User CP menu.
    Might help.

Wireless almost always have issues, so yeah, get a wired one.

6. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    The DPI of a mouse is how far the mouse cursor will move on screen per inch of travel on the mousepad.

so a 2000dpi mouse cursor will travel twice as far as a 1000dpi mouse cursor for the same physical mouse movement.

High dpi mice are a must have when using larger/higher resolution screens other wise you would be moving your mouse all over your desk :)

7. SlipSlice

SlipSlice New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really, all have to do is turn your mouse sensitivity up..I have a 22' in acer and i have my mouse sensitivity like halfways up and one stroke and its across the screen. Its just a 20 dollar wired laser one to made my microsoft but its nice.