1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there any way to break the GTX 670 thermal+power limit?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Gainward, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Gainward

Thanks Received:
    Hello :)

So I've been reading few guides about how to overclock the GTX670,
    and how the thermal and the power conditions can effect the frequency of the core :shadedshu
    as soon as the card goes over 70 degrees it starts to slowdown and that's really annoying
    so I've been thinking, is there any way to break this limit? i read earlier a thread talking about this but I cant find it :banghead:

2. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Maybe this - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171441

- a workround for this *May be fit a water block - keep the card 30c cooler or there abouts, may help to slow the limit reach time

nb: last time I looked into this was with JrRacinFan who had a GTX 560, the NV Bios had four states of P that control the Power state and Throttle the latter but had no way of editing these.

atb (all the best)

Law-II

3. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried to make a fan profile to keep it under 70c ?

On my MSI 660ti it is easy to keep it under 60c and still only hit low 50% fan usage .
    I use AB but there are many OC apps that have profile fan options .

4. Gainward

Thanks Received:
    actually I was thinking about adding a GPU block to the loop I currently have but I dont know if it's worth it, because even if I solve the temp problem, I still have the power limit ...
    I hate this Turbo Boost thing, it was much easier to Overclock my old GTX470 ...

5. Gainward

Thanks Received:
    I think the air flow in my case is a bit crappy, gonna try to get better fans

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    _any_ way, yes. something that you can do without messing around with a soldering iron on your card, no.

i wouldnt worry much about it unless you are a hardcore overclocker, those few % extra performance are probably not worth it

7. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    right, OC the GPU at least Nvidia 6xx is not going to get ya a whole bunch of improvement (something like 5 -10% ) and that is if your lucky to get close to 1250-1300 range .

But you should have no problem keeping temps below 70c , if your case has side opening for fan that is place to get some air in .
    Also I found if I go to cool (below 60c , w/o raising the clocks it downclocks the default by 13mhz , so to cool it seems to down clock too, of curse you can raise it but just make sure no app go over the 60c mark or clocks will change . not sure if 670, 680 does same but I bet it does too .