1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there anything better than a linksys wrt54g?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by LoneReaction, Apr 11, 2009.

1. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    I have an aging linksys wrt54g (version 4), flashed with the latest tomato firmware.

Is there any wireless routers out there that is better than the wrt54g? I torrent alot, so a router that can handle many connections effortlessly would be great!

Cheers :toast:
  2. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I think there are, but most of newer devices advertise Wireless N as their selling point plus Gigabit Ethernet, so if you can't benefit from that, I think you should stay with your current one.
    LoneReaction says thanks.
  3. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    hows tomato stack up against openWRT + X-Wrt? thats what i use... i have a v2, it has 32mb of ram and that allows for more connections... honestly? i don't think your going to find anything thats gonna perform better, it'l let you route a lot of traffic and if tomato is as good as openWRT then you are not gonna ever slow it down or crash it.. setting torrents and other large data transfers to bulk in QoS helps, i don't get lag in my games that way even bandwidth is in use.

whats your avatar from? got a link to a full version?
    LoneReaction says thanks.
  4. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    My avatar is a character from the anime, Hayata no Gotoku! Got the picture from deviant art. Link

I used DDWRT and other firmwares before (that was like 2 years ago) before I finally setted on tomato. Really like it's interface, and it's performance is similar to DDWRT. Will try out openwrt when I have the time!

Looks like the home networking industry hasn't really changed much..
  5. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    I've heard alot of good things about tomato, i hear its much better than DD-Wrt, dd-wrt sucks :p
  6. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    I love Tomato.
  7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    how compatible is the uPnP in tomato? i recently got a good daemon for whiterussian going, its compatible with *everything* yay, that has been a problem for me the last few years, especially with messenger, more recently with xbox360
  8. LoneReaction

LoneReaction

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, there hasn't been a problem regarding upnp for me yet. Maybe you might want to give tomato a try?
  9. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    WRT600N
  10. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    rev 1.0 Broadcom4705@300 MHz
    rev 1.1 Broadcom4785r2@300 MHz
    they each have 8mb flash and 32mb ram, looks like DD-WRT supports it, it doesn't look like openWRT does, since it has 32mb ram expect it to only be able to handle the same amount of connections ours already can, expect that the 300mhz clock on the [otherwise exactly identically performing cpu] to add another 10mb/sec or so in general routed traffic.

the big upgrade here is if you like 802.11N, all tho a bad side would be that i don't think tomato supports it and i'm sorta pretty sure that openWRT doesn't either