1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there anything i could delete my hard drive C?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheUninvited, Dec 14, 2013.

1. TheUninvited

Thanks Received:
    Those who are selected i can't delete because is my files.

I was wondering about those eula. and this file called : VC_RED.cab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Download and install, Ccleaner. See if it cleans any of that up. Or, you could gather those files and drop them into a folder of their own.
    TheUninvited says thanks.
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You're being overly paranoid it seems. eula means End User License Agreement, and commonly comes with most mass distributed software, esp expensive ones like games. It's just a legal contract agreement on terms of use, and part of the install when you click Agree.

VC_RED.cab is just temp files placed by MS for Visual Studio and part of the C++ code for graphics programs. Pretty much all games have a Visual Studio C++ Redistributable Package. It's akin to the DxSetup and NET Framework updates needed for most games.

Furthermore deleting them wouldn't get you much space anyway if that's all you're looking to do. It would literally be like trying to make room for more hay in the barn by removing the needle from each stack.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Download and install treesize that will show you whats taking the space up.. Just be carefull what you do delete though.
  5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I bet what you find is REALLY taking up most of your C drive space is the WinSxS folder in windows. It's likely in the many gigabytes, and from what I've been able to discover, you're basically stuck with it thanks to the vastly inefficient way in which Windows updates have been distributed since Vista.
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    A common unnecessary space hog on the OS drive is Windows Update backups. Just run Disc Cleanup and it will take care of that and any unnecessary junk or temp files.

I have a 128GB SSD for my primary drive with a mere 30GB partition for the OS, so every now and then I find ways to make more space. Last time I ran Disc Cleanup it removed 4GB worth of Windows Update backups.
  7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    do you install your gfx driver overtop the previous without uninstalling (or if you're nvidia, without checking the clean install option)? if so, you're losing 200mb every time you do that

how much space do you have & how much are you trying to gain?

disabling sleep/hibernate will free some space if you had them enabled

those eulas & vcredist files in the root of C are actually a known bug in the vcredist installer, you can delete them (notice they're all november 2007), you dont gain much, you can see the size right there, it's just annoying to see
  8. TheUninvited

Thanks Received:

I have got plenty of space on my hard drive is just that i dont want you know to have unneseccary things:p
  9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    you can erase temporary file/folder, yeah i use ccleaner to make it easy to erase