1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there something wrong with my CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by spirates, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, well the last few days i've complained over high noices comming from my computer somtimes, I suspected it was my cpu and today I think I got evidence for it :p.

I also want to say that I installed a new gpu , GFX 275 a few days ago and that my cpu never acted this way with my old gpu ( radeon hd 4850 )

[​IMG]

Why is my cpu acting like this :S?

----------------
    Edit

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? Explain please :).

Is there some downside on having Cool & Quit on? For example its maybe not increasing in speed when neededd and therefor make me lagg more or is it bulletproof?

Why do my cpu work this hard sometimes with my new gpu and not with my old one?
    Is it so that my old gpu couldn't do so much work as my new gpu can and because of that my cpu didnt need to work as hard aswell?

Edit 2:

Okej guys I just made a fantastic discovery :D. I entered a game and my proccesor thingy went up to 3ghz! And it doesn't make any more noice!! I have thought until now that when my proccesor thingy went up, my fan would automatiqually go up aswell (= more noice). But the proccesor can run at 3ghz without the fan going mad.

Then the question becomes, why do my fan sometimes get so high if my proccesor most of the time can run at 3,0ghz with a slow fan?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you set AMD cool and quiet to "Enable" in the bios by any chance? looks like the Processor is under-clocking by those screens

A 940 is supposed to Run at 3ghz, so that speed is fine, go into the Bios and disable what i mentioned, unless you want to save on your power and your electric bill just leave it

In a nutshell what is it doing is lowering power consumption and clockspeed, when you run a program or whatever it will increase to what it needs until it hits the max you have it set in the bios, which by default is 3ghz for the 940x4

I think that will answer your question,

3. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:

o_o...

So its normal for the cpu to make that much noice :p? I've had my cpu for some months and its always been at around 800 >.<..

Well, before I ask how I fix my cpu to work as it should, what will improve if i put my cpu at 3ghz? And please try to not use to advanced computer language :)

4. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's Cool & Quiet doing it's job. The noise problably comes from the stock cpu fan if your using that.

Get a 3rd party cooler with a fan control if you want more silence.

5. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:
    =( I dont understand a single word of what you just said..

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? And then increase it when its needed?

6. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    You probable dont have much tech experience, but yes your CPU couldnt possbile make any noise because its a silicon chip with small transistors and a steal thermal transfering case around it. What could possibly be makeing the wierd noise is obviosly the new GTX 275 video card. If you case dosnt have good airflow and the drivers are jacked up or the card might have a problem, which it most likely dosnt then you dont have enough airflow and its overheating and the drivers of the such so card are taking controll and increasing its fan speed. Now i would almost decide to take the AMD power feature of the the bios cause i would like my CPU not to be at 800Mhz more like 1.8Ghz at the least. :cool:

7. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    By noise do you mean fan or a high pitched sound ?

Stock cooler is the heatsink that came when you got the CPU, should be a silver looking block with copper pipes with a fan on it for AMD.

Cool and Quiet is a feature built into the CPU to save power and keep it running cooler, to disable and enable it you have to go into the Bios

8. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well Iam sure its from my CPU, or if its needed to say, the fan sitting on the cpu.. I opened my chassi and put my ear in and its clearly from the cpu area. And yes iam sure its a fan sound, I can hear the air :)

And as I said, everytime the sound goes louder, my cpu goes faster.

9. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats nothing to worry about then "Stock coolers" tend to be loud when at 100%, the only way to solve this would be to buy and aftermarket cooler and install that. But dont worry, there absolutely nothing wrong with your CPU

10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Stock coolers (fan + heatsink) from both Intel and AMD are terrible for keeping the CPU cool and operating quietly at the same time. When you apply a heavy load on the CPU (for example, a game), it ramps up to the full 3ghz so your game gets good frame rates, but that also makes the processor run hotter. In order to keep the processor cool enough, the fan also has to spin up. Your computer would be far quieter with a quality aftermarket cooler such as the Xigmatek HDT-S1283

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okej, well I still got some more questions that I would like to get answered.

"Cool & Quit", Is that some kind of programs that automaticually decreases my speed if its not needed? Explain please :).

Is there some downside on having Cool & Quit on? For example its maybe not increasing in speed when neededd and therefor make me lagg more or is it bulletproof?

Why do my cpu work this hard sometimes with my new gpu and not with my old one?
    Is it so that my old gpu couldn't do so much work as my new gpu can and because of that my cpu didnt need to work as hard aswell?

12. spirates New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okej guys I just made a fantastic discovery :D. I entered a game and my proccesor thingy went up to 3ghz! And it doesn't make any more noice!! I have thought until now that when my proccesor thingy went up, my fan would automatiqually go up aswell (= more noice). But the proccesor can run at 3ghz without the fan going mad.

Then the question becomes, why do my fan sometimes get so high if my proccesor most of the time can run at 3,0ghz with a slow fan?

13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I only see only two differences between the CPUz shots:

• CPU Multiplier
    • CPU Voltage

Those are the two things that power optimization usually adjusts during LIGHT vs. LOAD conditions.

Edit: Look at task manager.. sort the processes to "CPU" during load and see what comes to the top.

14. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now you have just gone and made it confusing for him lol, best keep it simple. Its 99% sure to be Cool and Quiet doing its job.

Its to do with Heat, hotter your CPU gets the faster the fan will go until it hits 100% of its max rpm

15. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received: