1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this a good overclock result for my graphic card?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Brawly, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Brawly

Brawly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Newbie here! I have attempted my first graphic card overclock. I have an ATI Radeon X800XL PCI-e 256Mb graphic card. After much google searching regarding the best overclocks attained with this card, the core speed seem to revolve around the 450 mark for best stability. Because of my research I did not expect anything higher. After usiing ATITools to automatically calculate the best overclock I was amazed at the results! As a matter of fact, the utility did not reach a point during the process where my card began to overheat, nor did it clock back due to artifacts! This tells me that there is still overclock "headroom" available. Unfortunately, this being my first time overclocking a graphics card, and fearing irrepairable damage to the card I stopped the test before it actually completed! I have attached the before and after results for review. Any feedback that you can give would be appreciated, because I am still hesitant about stability and safety for my card (I am currently running my system card with the new overclock settings). Is there a utility with ATITools that will check system stability after you have set your overclock? Thanks to everyone who responds!:)

Attached Files:

2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    That is pretty decent yes...

What you should do though is play some games with it like that now and watch for artifacts... ATITools didn't find any on my overclock, and yet I started to artifact at its original state after about 2 hours of gaming..

3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. ATITool artifact detection doesn't always catch everything, it's best to watch the 3D cube and look for any errors along with it.

2. If #1 is fine, and you're comfortable with the temperatures that are being produced keep going.

3. Keep going until some factor makes you uncomfortable in going further. Then clock it down a little.

4. Run your favorite, most demanding game, for a long time. If you don't notice any artifacts, or nothing else out of the ordinary occurs, then you've found the point you want to be.

4. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    damn I cant get mine past 445/540......:shadedshu

5. lufrey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a pretty decent result to me ;)