1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this a ''legit'' 16x PCI-E slot, or what? (AsRock 4Core-VSTA)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Xolair, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I've been scoping out for a new GPU a while now, but probably won't buy one just yet.

Anyway, I came across the website of my own mobo, and in the support list of the PCI-E graphics cards, there are now BOTH 8800 GTS and Ultra, but no GTX, although this wasn't so some time ago. Is it possible to have a 16x slot ''clocked down'' to be a 4x slot? Here's few pics:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r150/Xolairs_bucket/AssRock.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg

Apparently, from top to bottom in that 2nd image:

• 4x slot
    • 16x slot
    • 1x slot
    • 16x slot
    • Regular PCI slot.

The 4x slot seems like a bit too short for my mobo, or then I've got something wrong with my eyes. So, how's the deal? :confused:

P.S. Just been looking out for the new GF 8800 GT, and to see if it'd work with my mobo. :p

2. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Oh... so any PCI-E card you'd throw to it would work? Would there be any way to... ''overclock''/unlock it to 16x speed? :p

3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    has to do with lanes availiable on NB/SB

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its 4x. i've ran an 8800GTS 640MB on that board and it was definately hampered, but not like it was useless or anything.

Personally, i'd get something like an x1950 or weaker or just spend the money on a better mobo in the first place.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Just an FYI, the top slot is an AGP 8x slot. Not a PCI-E x4.

Also, I believe the 8800GTX actually had problems with PCI-E slots that were not real x16 slots. It wasn't just a performance issue, sometime the cards wouldn't work at all. However, I believe it was rare.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci_express_scaling_analysis/page5.html

There is a nice read on how an x1900XTX and an 8800GTS perform in different speed PCI-E slots. The PCI-E x4 slot really hampers the 8800GTS.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Xolair New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ Well, hopefully at least the next-gen 3800 series of ATI doesn't get too much hampered by the 4x speed if Nvidia often does... but you never know with these new PCI 2.0 cards, sadly. :(

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    and just so you know, its not like you cant throw an 8800GTS in that slot - you CAN, its just that you'd want to save up for a better motherboard after you buy the video card :)