1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is This Board i just bought better than my other one ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Virus-j, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

About 4 weeks ago i went DDr3 Bout New Board and memory Etc.

I ended up going with some kingston Hyper X Memory 4Gb
    But i wasent sure on what Mobo to get my plan was to Get a Mobo that unlocks Core's.
    Which i Did But my choice of boards that i liked and seem good value was the

Asrock M3a Ucc and the MSi 770-C45 Well in the End i Went for the Asrock M3a Ucc Which i Regret now as I think the MSi 770 Was Better as it Had he 770 Chipset.

Anyway I just Won on Ebay the MSi 770-C45 For £30 Brand new including postage. But i thought Id ask here if this board is Actually Better then My Asrock M3a ?

Also I could not unlock My Cpu with the Asrock But does that mean it dont work End of or Could i have better luck with the Msi ?
  2. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I think it will be a better board because of the newer chipset. You MAY have a chance of unlocking it on the MSI.
    Virus-j says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Thanks ...... Glad about that then.

Also With the 770 Chipset Does that mean i Can Use AMD OVerdrive now ?
  4. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    you should be able to now. If you can't your not missing much
    Virus-j says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    No offense, I know what's done is done, you should have saved your money. Good luck on the unlock gamble, I hope you win. You should have went with the MSI to begin with.
    Virus-j says thanks.
  6. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Yh, Im not to botherd about the money, Sold Some Old Pc parts and will most likely Sell my Asrock M3a Board to a Friend shuold get what i Payed for This MSi Board, So nothing lost Really.

+ I like Taking a Gamble ; )

Never bought a MSi Board Before iv always seem to of gone with FoxConn or Asrock... But from what iv Read about MSI and this Board Made me Wish id of got it so saw one on ebay and went for it.

Yh HopeFully it will unlock. Oh Is The Amd overdrive Software For Monitoring you pc abit better and overclocking ?
  7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Don't bother with overdrive IMO. When I was on AMD, I had nothing but problems using the software(specifically with a 9850 Black+DFI 790FX/SB600). Now it does work "ok" on my wife's sytem in specs but I keep it uninstalled.

I am serious though, good luck with the unlock. I did hear the 440's do have a good and high success rate.
    Virus-j says thanks.
  8. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I may take a look at it, but il prob take your word for it. I only tend to overclocking in bios + speedfan Suits me just fine for checking Temps Etc

Yh well i was gonna Buy a Quad Core but i Decided to Get a Tripple and Play about with it Hoping Id Be lucky. Only Really bought it as Alot of the Reviews on Ebuyer Were able to unlock the 4th core.
  9. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Virus-j says thanks.
  10. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that Pretty Good Appreciate it .Adding that to Favourites and will be installing tommo as will come in handy.
  11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome.

Oh also welcome to TPU! Don't feed the trolls.
    Virus-j says thanks.
  12. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    lol, ok. Loving the forum very helpful people.
  13. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I have that board and it isn't too bad. Seeing as your using a Athlon and not a Phenom you're probably better off because of less cpu load.

As for unlocking, I've had 3 unlockable chips. Two Phenoms X2s and an Athlon (Deneb die) and it was able to unlock them all without problems. Memory overclocking isn't that great but can't complain. If your 440 is unlockable then that board should do it. If it doesn't then it was an X3 for a reason.

One thing I like about the MSI boards is the ablility to control fan speed on even the 3 pin headers and cpu fan speed even if only using a 3 pin fan.

Since I've been wanting to put my Athlon on that board I'll do that tonight and see how things go with it. Not really expecting any surprises but at least I'll be able to have it up and running in case anything comes up for you.
    JrRacinFan and Virus-j say thanks.
  14. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mastrdrver, Seems like a good board was checking a few reviews and the Msi Website, Good Quality.

Should Be Getting it on saturday with any luck if not should be here monday guaranteed.

Also When u unlock cores on this board do you just Enable a Option in Bios or Are there a few options to Enable ?

Let me know how it goes With unlocking Your Athlon would Like to know.
  15. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I recently switched from a ASRock board to a MSI one. while I do miss the ASRock board a bit because I got so use to it's easy to use bios, the MSI board is much nicer, and I've enjoyed using it so far, even in bios. :D
    Virus-j says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    sure msi will be better, msi care with high quality and sure that's mean bit higher price, not like asrock
    Virus-j says thanks.
  17. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Oh it won't have any problem unlocking it. If it does I'd be truely amazed.

For unlocking if the bios is 1.9 or prior then you just enable ACC and set to auto, per core, etc and it will take care of the rest. Any bios after 1.9 does away with ACC in the bios and just provides an option call "unlock cores" or something like that. No percentages to mess with. Just like my MSI 890gxm board.
    Virus-j says thanks.
  18. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just got my Mobo Today and i am fitting it now..... But....
    This is a most likely a really stupid question but i Cannot get the Ide cable in there are no Bent Pins Etc Tried about 8 different Ide cables None will go in one side will the other wont so Do Msi have special Ide cables or something ?
  19. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The IDE connector is the blue one, the white one is for floppy (that board only has one IDE connector).

EDIT: Oops sorry, thought you still were on the ASRock one.

There is a notch on each IDE cable that you must align with the connector on the board, meaning that the cable only goes one side.
    [​IMG]
    See that "cable key" that's the notch the notch I'm referring to.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Virus-j says thanks.
  20. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Well, It's Black on this one and No i havent got them Mixed up...Lol

I am Definitely Putting it in the Ide Slot but it wont go in...

Thanks For the help there. It appears it was a bent Pin Only a fraction out of place, It was when i removed the sticker on it some of it got stuck inside the slot so i had to get it out and think i hit a pin... It's ok now though sorted it : ) Dunno why they stuck a sticker over it
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  21. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Check the pin layout, I have seen boards with all pins still in the ide socket but some IDE cables have a pin blocked out so the cable wont fit.

If this is the problem you might be able to make a hole in the IDE cable using a hot needle.
    Virus-j says thanks.
  22. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Stuck the board in Now all Drivers Installed and i went to Bios 1.9. I Went into Bios and Enabled Acc and set to Auto. But i also noticed there was a option for unlock Cores which i wasent sure if that was Right as it shouldent be on 1.9 should it ? Anyway i enabled that but all i got was a black screen and the Computer Kept Restarting so i take it that means it was locked for a reason ?
  23. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes if you unlock the CPU ends up needing quite a bit of extra voltage to unlock and be stable. Alot of the "locked" core processors have unstable cores, or damaged cores. Honestly there's a chance you'll never be able to unlock all cores. It's part of the risk involved.

(I did quite a bit of research on this, as I was thinking of getting a "locked" CPU to use with my MSI mobo, and ended up going with a X4 instead as I didn't like the risks involved.)
    Virus-j says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Virus-j

Virus-j

Thanks Received:
    I suppose i could Wack up the Voltage abit i did read on a few Forums that this is what Alot of people did to unlock the Core for this Cpu. At the moment it's Running on 1.325 The Max for this Cpu is 1.45 but from what iv Read some have gone up to 1.55 Is this Safe ? If so What would u say i could go up to ?
  25. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    i would say your safe up to 1.5v on decent air
    Virus-j says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU