1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

IS this computer good? pls help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lillukic, Feb 4, 2012.

1. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone i just made a account here and im really new with computers and stuff well anyways im thinking about buying this desktop computer i saw but im not sure if its good for playing games so can you guys tell me if it is and if it can run most games on high or medium setting pls cause that would be very helpful pls and thx.

specs:
    AMD Phenom II 925 Quad-core Processor
    2.80ghz-6mb L3 Cache
    8gb ddr-3 memory- 1 tb hard drive
    1gb ati radeon hd 5570

so are these good specs and would they be able to run bf3 and l4d2 on med - high setting. oh and by the way the computer costs 400 after tax and stuff and its running windows 7.

and if you need more specs just tell me and i would be happy to give them to you.
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Hello lillukic and welcome to TPU.

Your computer is fine, the only thing I think might let you down, is the videocard, you may need a slightly better one for games like BF3.
    lillukic says thanks.
  3. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    like how bad is the video card like would it be able to run bfs on med setting or would it still have trouble with running it on medium setting?
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I reckon it will run it at low-medium settings. It probably will be playable, but imo I think you should maybe get a slightly better card.
    lillukic says thanks.
  5. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    k thx alot for your help
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    No problem
  7. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    That card is very bad. BF3 out of the question. What resolution are you playing?
  8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, pre-built desktops always short change people on the video card. A HD 5570 is an entry level card that could play L4D2 on High, but will be running BF3 on low to get consistently playable frame rates.

I think it is time to be baptized in true gamer waters and join us for real. Are you ready to build your own system from scratch? I promise for the same money, we can get your far more performance.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    5570 is a nono when it comes to gaming.
    rest is fine.

infact you could have dont with 4 gigs of ram instead of 8, and used that for a better video card.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Haven't played BF3 have you? It likes having more than 4gb's of RAM.
    AlienIsGOD, Darkleoco and de.das.dude say thanks.
  11. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea i would be fine with buidling a custome desktop for like the same price of like 500 bucks :p cause i didnt build this desktop i purchased it
  12. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i have. on 4 gbs of ram. i dont think i faced any problem..
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    So you already purchased it? Tell us what PSU you have so we could recommend a better affordable card that can play BF3 decently.
  14. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    um can you pls tell me what a psu is? and i have purchased it but i am able to return it and get all my money back still
  15. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I have an ASUS GTX460 DirectCU 2DI 1GB GPU that I do not need that I would be glad to sell you for say $125 shipped.
  16. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing if it's a prebuilt, then we are most likely talking generic power supply. That is what will limit him regarding a decent video card.
  17. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    um is that a good graphics card? cause im really bad with computers :p
  18. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Power Supply. It's the foundation of your computer. This is the one component that you want to get right. The right power supply can give you stable power, and the flexibility to run any card you want. A crappy power supply can limit you at best, and can kill your system at worst. Before trying to help you determine a video card that's appropriate, we need to know the brand, model, and wattage of your power supply.
  19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'd say the GTX460 is between good to decent, capable of playing BF3 on mostly high settings. $125 for it is a decent price.

But like PaulieG said, we need to make sure your power supply can handle it. We don't want to fry your computer because the power supply can't handle a video card.
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  20. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay so how do i find out on the box of the computer what wat of power supply i have so i can tell you so that you can tell me if i need a better one or not. also can you tell me if i got a good price for this computer even tho i need a new graphics card apparently

also the brand is hp and the model is the hp pavilion magnesium gray edition p6641f
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
  21. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Your going to have to open up your computers case and actually look at the power supply. A power supply look like this- [​IMG]

On the side of the power supply you'll find a sticker. If you can, take a picture of the sticker and post it here. If you can't take the picture and post it, well need this info-[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  22. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    Although I don't think HP would sell you a PSU that'll cause damage to anything, that PSU is only 250W (according to HP's website). It probably wouldn't be a good idea to power anything much greater than what you have. Is $80-$100 a worthwhile price to pay to upgrade from a 5570 to a 6670? Seems not likely, which means that to upgrade the graphics any time soon, a PSU would be your first stop.
  23. Paulieg

Thanks Received:
    Please try to go back and edit your posts rather than double or triple posting. Thanks! I just merged these 2 for you.

That PSU gives you no significant options. A 460 or anything like it will not work. I think you should take the system back, and get a refund, if gaming is it's primary function. For $100 more, we can help you configure a much better system, if you're willing to try and build something for yourself.
    Crap Daddy says thanks.
  24. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    k so i should first upgrade the power supply and then the graphics card> okay ill do that but in general can someone tell me if i got a good deal on this computer i paid 400 for it after tax?
  25. lillukic New Member

Thanks Received:
    OKay i dont mean to repost but i just saw that you replied when i commented so i will take this desktop back and then you guys can help me make a better desktop computer for a 100 bucks more. cause if you guys can that would be really helpful.