1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this HDD WD20EARX good?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by razor2890, Sep 5, 2012.

1. razor2890

Thanks Received:
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's fine. I have three of the older version and they all work fine. It's intended as a data drive rather than a system drive. However, when I tried it, it didn't feel particularly slow.

razor2890 says thanks.
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have the older version, the WD20EARS. I think the only difference between the EARS and the EARX is the EARS uses SATA 3Gb/s and EARX uses 6Gb/s. Bear in mind it takes a fast SSD to go over SATA 3Gb/s, so that won't help you for a spinner, especially not the WD Green series. As qubit said they're best used as storage drives, that's how I use mine. Installation files for games (not the actual game installation I load from when I start a game, but the installation files), backups, movies, music and such go on my EARS, and I use my 500GB Black drive for the system drive.

Their data throughput is fast enough, faster than my 500GB Black, maybe even faster than my Velociraptor in sequential read when I still had it. It's a 5400RPM drive though, so data throughput may be nice, but seek times are going to suuuuck. So, once again, not meant to be an OS/games drive, but for storage.

razor2890 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    So which HDD will be a good OS/Games HDD?? That can be used for OS installation rather than storage?

5. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    For that, you'll want high RPM. The Caviar Black and VelociRaptor lines, for example. SSDs are also an option.

razor2890 says thanks.
  6. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  7. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    WD black is good for game/OS. If you can afford, here is the perfect combination:
    - SSD for OS
    - WD black for games and bit torrent
    - WD green for other data/movies (should be connected via hdd dock)

WD green is not designed for sustained, high volume reading/writing, that's why it's cheaper.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I believe those Green drives are 5400RPM. In any case, even if they are 7200RPM, the Black will still be faster. I know one benefit is the Blacks have two processors on the controller board, that helps a bit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    you could go with a Green and get a very small and cheap SSD and use intel speedboost or readyboost, i forget exactly what it's called. It will basically cache all your most accessed files on the SSD boosting the speed of your main drive.

I've not tried it, but it sounds interesting and is a good option when you don't have the cash for a latest gen SSD.

I would imagine WD Green + SSD on ready boost is better than a smaller WD black and would also cost less.

10. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt recommend using this drive for anything but storage as above...

i am unsure weather this drive would perform on par with faster drives using srt... my gut feeling is it would be slower...

the seek time is less than average and ive heard these drives feel slow as main hd....

good luck...

a friend just told me to advise you not to buy one, as their known for failing and being very slow(other people are saying their fine)...

he pointed me to a thread on toms and there are a couple of people are complaining... scores 5.4 on windows performance index...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Check Toms Hardware. Under charts. Samsung F3 used to be one of the fastest and not the most expensive. But really you should look into SSD there not that expencive. I just bought a 120Gb for $60 after rebate

12. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys for all of your opinions....
    I needed new HDD as my Primary HDD so went for Caviar Black(WD Raptor was crazy expensive 150Gb costed $130)....
    So went for Western Digital WD2003FYYS 3.5" CAVIAR BLACK, 2TB,7200RPM,64MB,SATA3 for a stunning $190.....

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Great drive for a Primary;)

Run 2 1TB in RAID 0. Nothing bad to say about them at all. Glad I bought them over my usual Seagates.

razor2890 says thanks.
  14. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    thanks all of you...hat,qubit,silkstone,purecain,jester,silapakorn, instg8r,SaltyFish......

Love this forum....You guys give the fastest solutions...

qubit says thanks.
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Glad to help. :)