1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this NORMAL? Gettin 70 c core temp

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 760SNAKEEYES, Apr 19, 2005.

1. 760SNAKEEYES New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hows it goin, just got ati tool last night, and im running the new ati omega drivers.....i havent touched the overclocking in the omega drivers or the atitools yet....everything is at default....i play FARCRY and after installing atitools i bumped up my fan speed to 100% just thought maybe the cooler the better......i tried playing FC and was getting phenominal framerates- i am new to this whole overclocking thing- but its pretty cool so far!

i am currently running a amd64 3500 939, 1 gig ram, and a ATI 9800XT......when playing FARCRY i was getting like 90-150 fps which is amazing but i just dont know if its stable or not- and i dont really want to risk frying my card! im gettin around 70c and when i run FARCRY i think i saw it go up to about the 80's!!!! dont knwo if thats really a good thing!! if anyone knows more about this please let me know if something is wrong! considering i havent really touched anything yet! everything is still on default- i only cranked up the fan speed!!........ thanks 760SNAKEEYES

2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if it's the videocard or the CPU that's getting 70c+, but both shouldnt get that high, definately not at stock speeds. Check if your fans are mounted well, my guess is that it's that. If not try to use standard drivers so you can exclude problems with the drivers.

3. 760SNAKEEYES New Member

Thanks Received:
    well....on the temp monitor on atitool it is telling me 70c and higher when im playing FARCRY....but i do have another program alled Everest home edition..... it basically gives inroformaiton on your hole computer- and there are sensors on there that tell you your cpu core temp. and all that good stuff- well it says my gpu is around 50c and a lil higher when im playing FARCRY?!! So i dont know what to believe...atitool temp guage or Everest homedition temp guage?!! hmmmmmm

4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    could you be a bit clearer on what you're talking about? CPU or GPU? Don't think Everest gives GPU temps. In that case it would be the GPU overheating.

Ofcourse it isn't a bad idea to use your magic finger to check the temperature.

5. 760SNAKEEYES New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh im sorry dan for nto bwing clear....but yeah it is the gpu temp that reads lower on the everest home edition program supposed to the atitool temp guage......uh yeah ur right i could use my magis finger to see....so i guess if it burns my finger its over-heating right? i guess im gonna have to find out! SNAKE

6. geeman74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what does overdrive trll you your temps are?
    im sure my 9800xt used to run hot even watercooled it ran at around 68

7. FatMaserati New Member

Thanks Received:
    A 9800XT watercooled running at 68!? Something has to be wrong there...

8. 760SNAKEEYES New Member

Thanks Received:
    im not using catalyst drivers anymore...i using the new omega drivers. The catalyst drivers gave me some wierd problems ( the newest catalyst drivers 5.4) i was using overdrive for about 2 dayz and after playing FARCRY all day, i closed the game after playing and opened it back up and all my grphics got all distorted.....so i rebooted thinking it wasnt a big deal...and even graphics on my desktop were screwing up. So that when i decided to download the new Omega drivers. Anyhow im just using a 9800xt with no extra kind of cooling....so does anyone think that overclocing with atitools without cooling is a bad idea? But let it be known that even with omega drivers and atitools with everything on default....the temperatures were still reading pretty high (gpu core temp. 70c) so i dunno what the deal is......

9. geeman74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    not really it was pushed to the limit :D
    i was trying to say dont worry about the temp to much
    i always used overdrive with the omega drivers its safer
    enable it overclock the card if it gets to hot overdrive underclocks the card to cool itself down
    saves on vpu recover

10. geeman74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    have you tried taking the hs&fan off n cleaning it?
    your paste may of gone off also they ati didnt put much on mine