1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by bongpack05, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    No its not normal.

It's normally a hardware fault and sign of a dying card. RMA it!

3. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    I have a 5870 and i get that some times. I think is because of the SSD's speed or at list that didn't happened wen i was on a normal HDD.

Still not sure if it's normal or not.

4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    It's not normal, your card is dying. Those are artefacts which occur when there is a physical fault. Usually you get artefact if you OC a card too far, but it isn't always OC related.

zootac says thanks.
  5. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    The strange part is, is doing this for almost 2 years. But i do admit that i had a bad feeling whit this card ever since i bout it (performance wise of course). Well i'm glad it got me here, just a little longer and she can rest. :laugh:

Waiting for yvi to show up :toast:

6. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Performance wise the 5870 is a beast. Beats out the 7700, 6850 and 6870 and GTX 560ti with ease and its hella old. Nothing to feel bad about.

7. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Well my "bad felling" started wen i compared it whit a friend 5770 OC version. I was disappointed to find out that it struggles to keep up or in some cases it only got 5-10 fps more. And since i was out of money :slap: i had to live whit it and was pleased until i hit BF3 :roll::shadedshu:banghead: the first game that i cant play whit all on max :twitch: :laugh:

Thx for confirming my doubts, hope to get more to confirm that, just to be sure :laugh::toast:

8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It only happens during bootup and it's been happening for years? I doubt the card is faulty. Maybe you have a quirky bios or something.

m1dg3t and 95Viper say thanks.
  9. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    You beat me to it.
    I would like to know do you see any kind of artifact's in games or in BM?
    If not It is not the card. Sounds like your card is fine IMHO.

10. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Your card could be faulty to begin with hence the artefacts and slow performance. Doesn't matter how much you OC a 5770 it won't touch a 5870. You'd need to put the 5770 in crossfire to get within 10% of the 5870s performance.

Most manufacturers offer 3 years warranty. RMA if in doubt.

Also what erocker said is correct. Hardware faults will cause artefacts, in boot, whilst watching dvds or and in games and cause instability. Really in any situation where the GPU is working.

If its just in boot, but you don't see artefacts in games and multimedia it might be at a driver level or a bios issue or another external issue. But a 5770 outperforming a 5870 does indicate major performance loss.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  11. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Well in my case is not all the time, and to be honest i didn't even bother to see if it's a pattern of some sort. And also i'm running win7 not vista just to be known.

12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    How did you come to this conclusion? How is His card faulty? I have had this happen to me before and the card was fine.
    I would have to say if this happens in games or BM then yes the card could be bad, But this is during a start-up and then every thing is fine.

13. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Artefacts are a fault by definition. Your screen should be immaculate and crisp at all times.

Obviously the extent of artefacts vary, some are more serious than others. Some people will get instability, some people it won't cause a noticeable fault for.

The OP nor radusorin really went into depth about the artefacts so I'm really diagnosing at face value with the little information I have.

14. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Yep, only on start up. Not a single problem in games or movie, not even a BSOD (except wen i was playing whit the OC, but that is normal :laugh:). That is one of the reasons i didn't RMA, i had no way of proving that the card was faulty.

15. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I am kind of thinking the same thing erocker is thinking here. If this was truly a bad card it should have also shown artifacts in games and other applications as well. Seems like it is a BIOS issue more than a bad video card.

16. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Might not be hardware then, it's 50/50 tossup.

Your crap performance could be driver related, maybe format, reinstall windows fresh?

If you want to RMA you have to break it. Unscrew one side of the heatsink and tell HIS it come off naturally and then send it back! (or break the fan, and tell HIS its stopped spinning)

Edit:

What is your full system specification?

17. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its only during boot up and it just bought it powercolor single slot 6850, my crysis 2 peformance is ass though.

The 8800 GT i have doesnt do it on the same set up.

18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    It would be best to just try and get to the bottom of this first.
    Like start with your BIOS have you updated it?
    One thing is for sure this is NOT a driver issue. See during start up the drivers are not loaded till windows starts to load. This issue should be looked at from the Mother Board first then video card. Because this issue is only at start up this leads me to think that some thing is not right with the BIOS or MB.

Please fill out your system spec's.

19. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's definitely the card since my 8800 GT doesnt do it,i had a x1800xt that did the samething which is dead now.

20. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well RMA it. You do not have to break it just tell them what is going on easy as that.

21. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Ok in my case the specs are there. The bios is up to date and i did that every time they did a bios update. Ok just now i see there is a bios update after a 2 years off no activity stunt, was running the latest tho. Thx to you guys i just discovered i have a new bios update to do :laugh:.

And do no if it help but i notice "the white line's" only after i got a ssd. In my head it was because of the speed something like it booted to fast to load a image so only the line appeared as a attempt. Since in any other application the card was running ok. About the performance drop, i have no idea why and no clue from what. I will not bother whit RMA, the card is pretty old, and since i have some dust filter missing, is getting very dirty and loud. At list louder then i can bear. Tried to clean it but 3 screws ar stuck (this also for the waned to change the cooler on it part). So for now i'm looking at a 7970 custom cooling (msi r7970, sapphire or HIS iceQ not sure yet, still waiting for wizz review on them :laugh: especially noise/OC potential/performance) or the new 680 (of course wizz is involved again :laugh:). So no point in RMA.

Well i'll be off for a little, that new bios has to be mine :roll:

22. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    RMA it anyways. You can probably RMA saying its "suddenly" become noisier than usual. They've stopped making 5870s so they'll probably give you brand new and free 6870 or 6950 instead which you can then sell $£$! to fund your 7970 or GTX 680.

23. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my bios is up to date.

24. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, not a bad idea. Going to look in to it tomorrow maybe, just maybe i can get some $$ of it :laugh: this new stuff is pretty expensive :laugh:. A new one is ok too, planing to sell the hole system anyway. I'll see what's going to happened in the end for now, come on ivy:laugh:

Done whit the bios update, the lines are still there.

Thx for the help guys :toast:

25. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    It may be a shot in the wrong direction but that could be the monitor or the card on resolution change.

Does your monitor use a lower Hz rating at lower resolutions, and can you lock the Hz to 60 on the monitor. If you can try it and see if the problem goes away. Failing that borrow a monitor and their cables and see if the problem vanishes.

The only artefacting i've seen on boot is random, Never a full solid block like that. Added to that boot artefacts often have areas of solid and dotted colours. You would expect to see the same effect in game as well. The other main type of artefacting is tearing triangles from a single point. Again you do not seem to have this problem.

You could also try it by using a game and switching resolutions and seeing if you can recreate the issue.

95Viper says thanks.