1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by bongpack05, Mar 17, 2012.

1. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Hmm you may be on to something here. I mean my monitor is not that high end. 60-65 hz and a 5ms delay make me think that the monitor isn't keeping up, not the video card. Thx for the ideea, now i have to look for a new monitor too :laugh::toast:

edit: Checked and it does the line thing just wen it changes resolution adding the slow speed of the monitor i tend to go in favor of the monitor as being the problem. Well not a problem just that you see what your not supposed to, or something like that, not sure tho.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    8800 GT doesnt do it so it's the card not the moniter.

3. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Can you give your system specs ?

And for me is not happening all the time. At list wen system shuts down correctly and reboots correctly the lines may appear 5-10% of the time, but wen i recover from a not normal shut down (like in your case) they are pretty there all the time in fact i'll give 99% of the time.

And i still have no idea if it is a bad sine or just a bad monitor refresh rate thing.

4. Bambooz

Bambooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been getting the same thing with my Sapphire HD6870 every time the screen res changes during booting (BIOS to bootscreen, bootscreen to desktop). If you're not getting any artifacts in 3D mode (under heavy load) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You could probably provoke it manually by changing resolutions, allthough that might not work if the driver is loaded (= windows all booted up)

5. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    the 8800 could use a slower resolution switching method. The monitor would be able to catch up before the lines were displayed.

The reason i picked the monitor been at fault is i used to have an older LCD that used to do something similar when paired with a faster card. The card was pushing the monitor at a rate the monitor couldn't handle before the drivers of windows kicked in. Once widows is up the drivers keep everything under Vsync and the problem disappears.

The easiest way to replicate it in windows would be to turn off Vsync, run a game at 640x480, then alt tab to desktop a few times. You should be able to replicate the problem.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It looks like it happens when the display get enabled/disabled or when the resolution changes. Do you have another display because it could be the monitor trying to change display modes, not the GPU if you're not noticing artifacts during normal operation. Also do you have another GPU to confirm that it is the video card and have you experienced any stability issues since this started?

Who ever said that the GPU is faulty off the bat needs to learn how to troubleshoot issues before sending stuff back right away.

Edit: I do recall slow resolution switching with my 8600 GTS.

95Viper says thanks.
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    My HD6950 has done it since day one.
    And, it plays games fine. Have had no other lines, except during the start-up of Windows.
    Like, Iceni stated, I, too, believe, it is the switch in resolution from the Windows boot resolution to your chosen resolution of your os.

If, I recall correctly, I use to get this in the old DOS days using that DOS GUI, whatever that was called.

Edit:

IMO, I believe it does have to do with the resolution change during boot and the drivers loading and switching to the resolution of your choice.
    Since, it is hardware dependent, some may see it and some may not.

Quotes from Engineering the Windows 7 Boot Animation:

I tried on my 2nd system with a GTS 465 and got the same flash of a bar of white at the top of the screen, just before going to the Windows 7 desktop.

8. bongpack05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i had a 560 ti and it didnt do it.

9. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ I agree... It doesn't look like artifacting to me... It looks like a refresh rate thing... New catalyst drivers maybe got installed when you put your SSD in??

10. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Mine does it (5870) and has done it since it was new, it is caused by the GDDR5 and core changing speeds, and or a frame drawn that is changed before it gets fully rendered.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Irocing

Irocing New Member

Thanks Received:
    CF 5770's only within 10% of 5870:confused:
    Not to many 5870,s keep up.

Soon gone for 4gig 680.:(

Later:)
    My 5770's;)

Attached Files:

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You know, it might not be the video card, but rather the display. Has this been reproduced on multiple displays?

13. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Beat me to it. Both of my HD4870s did it in single and crossfire modes, and both of my HD6850s do it in single and crossfire mode. If you overclock your card, it'll do that on clock change as well.
    As far as I can tell from the video and what you've said in this thread, there is nothing wrong with your card.

14. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    "Not many 5870s can keep up??"

Antandtech tells a completely different story. The 5870 keeps up with the 5770CF just fine. They seem somewhat on par.

My comment is correct, the 5770 CF is within 10% above or below the 5870 depending on the task.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  15. Irocing

Irocing New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usually below if decent cards.
    Had an OC,ed OC ASUS 5870 in another another rig and was slower in benchmarks.

No biggie as both good cards and does take two 57's to compete.
    Plus CF problems if any, And only one game I play it affects< MS Flight.

Later:)

Dent1 says thanks.
  16. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    A line that huge isn't an artifact. As long as it runs fine and doesn't do it in game, I don't see a problem with it. Like others have said, could just be a weird mixture of your motherboard/ram/bios/monitor..etc

17. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    Its the monitor changing resolutions

18. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Right now i'm stating to think this is not a problem of any of theme. It's just some soured of a lag, if you like, that appear when the graphic card changes resolution. A sort of delay in the chip or something on that line, that is making the monitor go in sleep mode (as if no signal) and then (after the res change, probably in under 1 sec or so) the signal comes back and the monitor gives those white line as a result of the mix .... Or at list something around this lines. And let me say it clear ... this dose not mean that your card is broken, if you don't have any other problems, artifacts or suspicious behavior. That is just my opinion on the mater. :toast:

19. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    my x1800gto flashes white and red lines while booting and while ati tray tools are loading up (idk what is exactly going on when att load, i suspect it's some very low level mode switching), it's been doing this since i first installed it in 2006. while overclocked 40% and it's not dead yet so i think your card will be just fine.

that artifact line is a bit suspicious though, does it happen when your card switches to higher clocks? the only logical explanation i have for that is that clocks are set a little bit before the voltage kicks in therefore causing a little bit of artifacting.

20. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Btw i did found the problem ... i'm running 1680x1050 and his res is 1280x800

Dent1 says thanks.
  21. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Isn't a major factor really, because the performance gap and disparity between the 5770 and 5870 is so wide and vast that even running at a higher resolution of 1680x10650 the performance difference should still be leaps and bounds ahead of a single 5770.

1680x1050 isnt even considered high resolution these days anyways.

Edit:

If you look at the image below. You'll see the even at a lower resolution (1280x1024) the 5770 is still 29% slower than the 5870 at a higher resolution (1680x1050)

[​IMG]

Edit 2: Important:

PS. I used the 5850 as I couldn't find the 5870 on the graph - but they both perform similarly.

However, in the case of Battlefield 3, it's an exception to the rule. Judging from the image below that particular game doesn't show the performance gap as wide as others.
    At 1280x1024 the 5770 gets 31.2FPS and the 5850 gets 35.7FP at 1680x1050. Very similar frame rates which which mirrors yours and your mates experience. Which brings me to the conclusion that BF3 just isnt optimised well enough to show the true performance gap between the two cards in question like the other charts/reviews show.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  22. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    Neither is my hole system :laugh: but wen i turn every detail on/max it out, only in bf3 is not up to the job ... i will try this card whit the new ivy bridge system and it shod give me a little more. But on ultra + 1680x1050 just not sufficient video memory, even on high there is a little lag here or there or better said sufficient to make me quit rage and almost throw something at the monitor :roll:. But for now no maximus 5 formula no 3770k and still not sure witch video card to get 7970 or 680 :banghead:.

But yes the card is a beast and it does everything i want, the problem if I can call it that, is the game (y u need so much video memory) :laugh: :banghead:

Dent1 says thanks.
  23. Vendor

Thanks Received:
    i have the same card and same issue and actually i don't think it's an issue becoz this is one of my newly bough card and works fucking perfectly and i installed in gentally too, no overclocking done just some fan speed adjustments in MSI Afterburner, i don't think it's a issue.

24. sykozis New Member

Thanks Received:
    My HD4850, GTX275, GTX460, GTX560Ti and HD7870....all experience this same anomalie. I doubt that the card is faulty....otherwise, my last 5 cards have all been faulty.

25. craigo

craigo

Thanks Received:
    your card is obviously irrepairable and broken
    you should immediatley remove it from your system carefully package it and send it to Australia
    the only hope for it to ever operate correctly again is as the third card for a tri-fire setup... remove the card and send it to me asap!
    :D
    previous replies have recomended everythin i was going to and more