1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this system good enough for older generation gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Nov 23, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine is asking me to build him a new PC, he can't really go above $650. I've never put together a computer with an AMD processor actually but I figured in his case I'd use one of theirs instead of a $150+ Intel. Keep in mind while looking at the system he has zero interest in the latest generation games until Starcraft 2 comes out, at which point he'll build another system anyway. He plays mainly WoW, Warcraft 3, some Command & Conquer games, etc.

First off are the parts compatible? I'm actually not sure if AMD requires something else. Also I went with a fairly cheap AMD processor and I'm not sure of the progression of chips like I know of Intel's. Is there something a little better that costs a *little* more, stressing the little part for the budget. Also if this CPU is powerful enough for these older games thats alright. So for the cost and it's purpose, do you think its alright? If I could make it cheaper somehow that'd be good, but I'm not sure how to lessen the cost. I don't feel this computer needs a 3870 or higher, as the CPU will bottleneck it anyway, but I didn't want to go less than a 3850.

So thoughts and input please, keep it's purpose in mind. It's not meant to be a Crysis or futureproof rig. Here's the NewEgg wishlist.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4271209

2. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    With the AM2 chips, if you want your cpu and memory bus to run at 1/1 (800mhz) then you want a cpu with a even number multi. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/272
    That 2.1 Brisbane would not let you run 1/1. I would say pick a different even multi. cpu. A Black Edition one and you would be set. :)

3. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    that looks like a pretty nice little machine... I have heard mixed reports about rosewill psu's, some say they are good for the price others don't want to know about them...

Also that mb has a budget 6100 onboard video.... Maybe you should spend another 30 bucks on the mb and grab a higher model one....

Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

I don't know all that much about amd chipsets though...

4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be disabling the onboard video anyway and using the 3850. These AMD chips are confusing me. Also all the 65nm chips are 2.X GHz where X is odd, thus can't be run 1/1? The only even numbered one is the black edition, but thats more than I was looking to spend on the CPU in this budget. NewEgg has the 4200+ Winsdor that is 2.2GHz, would this allow memory to run 1/1? Also, this chip is 90nm. I was looking to possibly assemble this in a MicroATX case, so I wanted it to be nice and cool. Wouldn't 65nm be preferred even if the memory can't be run 1/1?

My only problem with MicroATX cases is I can't find a decent MicroATX PSU. Any thoughts?

5. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll go with your suggestion Hat. Now lastly before I give him the parts to place the order, he was really interested in a MicroATX case, and I think they look cool too. I'm concerned about the PSU though, PSU's that come with cases are never good, and there doesn't seem to be a large selection of MicroATX PSU's. There are only 2 that have a PCI-E plug. What should I do? He really had his heart set on this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108060

7. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the motherboard won't fir in that case. At all.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I know, I picked this mobo for use with the ATX case I picked out, but if I can find a good PSU solution to use this case, I'll pickout a MicroATX mobo.

9. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    OrbitzXT says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arg this is turning out more difficult than I thought it would be, staying under budget, and looking/running cool.

11. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I kind of like that case, and its ATX so I can pick from a bunch of better quality PSUs, I'll have to see if he likes it. The front confuses me though...when you open a CDROM drive what is it that pops out?

13. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Probably some tard who doesn't know what he's doing. Probably forgot to screw the drive in, lol.

I gave you a link to a great PSU. :slap:
    2.6k posts :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha I've used the Rosewill in my first post in a few builds now and they've all been fine for over a year, I'll likely go with it again. My other more "high-end" choice is OCZ for certain builds. Congrats on 2600 posts!

15. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    No really, I strongly reccomend that power supply. So will Wile E.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i would definately use this psu over the one you chose: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817101021

its much better and even costs less, i also see no need for a sound card for what hes doing onboard sound is fine.

forget the floppy, they are only good for flashing and thumb drives will work for that so floppy is not needed.