1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is watercooling really worth it?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by m3lisk, Jul 27, 2007.

1. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I were to get the setup I want right now for watercooling it would cost me about $100(tubes, res., pump, pending trade) and I'd just buy the CPU block and radiator, but would the cooling be worth $100 + the trades, or should I get the Tuniq Tower?

2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    wc is fun man, it all really depends on how much you are going to oc, I mean a good aircoooler is just as good unless you have a huge overvoltage... man it looks nice though.

WC will be able to handle more heat than an aircooler not necessarily be able to get lower temps....

Its up to you :)

GET IT :rockout:

3. ShadowXP New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't convinced when it came to water/liquid cooling, because of all the horror-stories about leaking coolant, electrocuted parts, RMA-hell and such things. Was a sworn fanbased cooling-proponent until I bought my Kandalf LCS. And now...well. :toast:

Go back to fan-based cooling now? Hell no. Not when I've got core-temps on my non-OC'ed E6300 hovering at around 25 to 30c on a normal day, with core-temps jumping up to between 35 and 40c after prolonged heavy gaming. In comparison to 50ish with the stock fan-cooler (which is crap, I know :p) and experiencing throttling (sets in at 85c on the E6300) while gaming. Going to expand the LCS with a waterblock for both the Northbridge and the Rx1950Pro I've got further down the road, or go for a Tidewater for the 1950. Not sure yet.

All in all: Worth the money? Very much so. :rockout:

IF you do go for a water/liquid cooling-setup: Put some money into it. The cheap stuff is usually cheap for a reason :p

4. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I think it would be worth it that is why i started to get the stuff to do it than i ran into some money problems. Leaks aren't vary likely if you take your time and leak test you also will want to check every now and then to make sure the pump is working right and that you don't have a kink in the tube and your water level is fine.Also you want to keep an eye on the temps (or atleast i would) to make sure you aren't getting temps rising vary fast if you do get that it could be anything from air in the lines to kink maybe even a weak pump. But i think water cooling is worth it.there is a little more risk to water cooling but the benefits are greater.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. savor_of_filth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I 2nd that..

p_o_s_pc says thanks.
  6. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, alright, I guess since money is gonna be a bit tight because I need a car and insurance, then I'll buy the parts one at a time until I have them all, and I guess I'm better off then most, cuz I'm getting the res, pump, and tubing with stuf I wont be even using, so I just to need to buy a radiator, which I found a nice one for 35, and some waterblocks for my CPU and maybe the vid card.

7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I was able to OC WAY more on my video card on water than Air.

8. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, well my dad doesn't quite understand, so will I be fine lapping with just 400 grit?

9. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    do you guys think it's worth getting water cooling for a e4400 (plan to OC it to ~3.25) C2D and a X1950XT? otherwise i'll get a thermalright ultra 120 and a tr h3-03.

10. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recommend buying a whole kit if you heavent done a Watercooling system before

:rockout: http://www.ultimateoc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=32 :rockout:

11. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    The more i think about it.I think you should get a kit.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    And why is that? So no more deal pending? Hell, I'll still buy it off you, lol.

14. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I just think it would be easier for you to do that. Also if you buy a kit everything new you can get a replacement if something happens.It is up to you.the deal is still pending if that is what you want to do.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    hell no man ...400 grit is worse than what is done from most companies. I recommend at least 1500 if not 2000...when you are done it should be close to mirror like.

As for WC in general...I used to run 2.8GHz on my opty170 @48-50*c load....no mattr the voltage now I max @38*c all the time....great way to go ,if you are really pushing an OC. Take Damulta to heart with the VGA cooling as well, My 7600gt's run 75*c full load now ,and an email to DangerDen got me the info that says my VGA's will run @ around the same temp as my CPU!:toast:

no offense to the previous posters, but a prefab kit could produce same results as air cooling, be careful about which kit to go with!

16. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright man, i guess I'll keep my stuff. Sorry. I think I'm going to wait on all this stuff a lot of crap is going on right now. Sorry.

17. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Np i know how stuff doesn't work out like you want.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    dude dont let a little setback get you down....keep your eyes open, I'm sure a smokin hot deal will offer itself soon!

19. m3lisk

m3lisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im having life troubles, not PC trouble, lol. I hate girls. They reach within your heart, find your soul, and drain you, leaving you nothing but an empty shell of a human, forced to exist in a constant state of pain and regret.

20. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    sorry to hear that. I know how girl troubles are and i am not just saying that.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:

I agree! Also, water cooling is only worth it if your are planning on doing some over the average overclocking. So in that case, yes.

22. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear about the girl troubles.

But, on the topic of water cooling, I have the Swiftech H20 Premium kit, with a single 120mm rad. With my cpu @ 1.6v, the kit keeps it cooler under load than stock temps with the stock cooler. I've hit 50c under full load @ 1.6v, vs most people reporting 52-54c stock.

23. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    so Wile E if i ever get the money to watercool my CPU i am not going to need a dual 120mm? I think if i ever watercool i want to sometime watercool the chip-set also so i think it would be better for a dual 120mm so i wouldn't have to get another.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    A dual would be better still. In fact, another rad is on my "things to buy" list. But, a good single will definitely get you by.