1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is your system overclocked?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Sep 10, 2012.

?

Is your system overclocked?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2012.
  1. Yes, graphics only

924 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Yes, CPU only

2,554 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Yes, CPU and graphics card

5,174 vote(s)
    41.6%
  4. No

3,783 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    this is tpu of course i overclock.. Everything :)

I would overclock my ssd if i could.. lol

I do however, have presets for my 7970; Stock, 1ghz, 1100mhz, depending on the game i run i just hit the preset that is needed.

2. MasterInvader

MasterInvader

Thanks Received:
    Vote: Yes, CPU and graphics card

The point of watercooling is great OC, otherwise it´s a hopeless investment.

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Yes to everything - gives me more value for my money and better performance for free. The risks are typically overblown (in some rare cases they are not due to cheap VRM designs).

My rig is an i5 750 undervolted and OC'd to 3.33 - at this speed it more than fuels the GTX 570 (which is OC'd to the max, not much, since it is a crap clocker) I bought the chip in Winter '09 and have been running games at high settings ever since.

It gives the hardware a longer usable lifespan, and satiates my need to tweak things.

4. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    On current system... not 24 / 7 only when i get the itch to and because the wife has pretty much assimilated it anyway(resistance is futile...and unrewarding) building something new though :rockout:

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Everything even the laptop. Dropped $11 and had him support my pll. Everything must be clocked.

6. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    off course i have oc everything , my only complain is in the past and now fore some reason i dont get high oc like i see for other guys ,next time i build a new rig high quality motherboard in the first place xd

7. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    I overclock for the experience. To me at least half of the fun of building a new system is spending time in the BIOS finding its limits, even if i end up running stock(which is rare.)
    I have good memories of pushing 50, 75, even 100% and higher overclocks. That alone keeps me overclocking. The performance gains, no matter how small or large, are just icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  8. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes and yes. CPU is a bargain basement $40 Business Class Phenom II x4 B93 @ 2.8ghz stock. Add some voltage and crank up the FSB for a nice 3.82Ghz OC. GPU is a ASUS GTX460 Top DirectCU and is just ripe for the 860/1720/1840 OC that it currently folds with. Love the "free" performance boost!

:toast:

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yup on my Core2Quad(Yes I Still Have One) I have it sitting on a nice 4.12Ghz from the stock 2.6Ghz and on my Asus GTX 460 I am at 855 on the core.

still its sad that the lower end chips have ocing cannabalized on them now or I would have upgraded, I remember my old E2140 would oc as high as 150%
    1600mhz to 3800mhz.

10. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used to overclock everything I could when I had crappy hardware, like an athlon II dual core, and a 8800gts 512 along with ddr2 800mhz ram. overclocking the cpu from 2.9 to almost 4ghz gave a huge gain in gaming performance. But now when I have all this what you can see in my specs, I just don't see the point anymore. Overclocked or not it runs just fine either way. But. If my system starts choking, I know what I can do about it :p

11. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    I voted CPU only, but, my system specs show CPU and GPU overclocks -- the maximum settings on the rare occasions I play a game.
    The Phenom II 960T comes with locked cores, underclocked and overvolted, out of the box. So, unlocked, undervolted, moderately overclocked to 3.5, turbo off, all power saving settings enabled and functioning properly -- why not?
    (My 3.0Ghz cpu northbridge overclock is active though, perhaps the only thing I'm pushing close to its limits.)

12. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    If it ain't broken don't fix it but... your grandma could overclock a Sandy Bridge so why not?
    Default voltage, turbo to 4.2GHz I guess that's overclocking? My card is factory overclocked, the hassle to add some MHz and face artifacts and stability tests for 2 FPS more on top of 50 is not worth it. Is that overclocking?

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This. Hardware has far surpassed software so IMO OCing isn't worth it. Not that I'm against it. Just don't see a point in my case.

14. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Usually i try to OC everything i can, within reasonable limits( not using too much power/sounding like a hurricane).

I like to play my games as fluent as possible, and 120FPS/ (or 60FPS for the occasional 3D game) is only rarely reached in todays modern games with my set-up, so the overclocking certainly adds to the experience.

15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You're not a very happy perosn in life, are you? :p

I go back and forth between CPU clocking, and no CPU clock. VGAs...I don't overclock at all.

The only game i play that has a noticible effect form overclocking a bit is BF3, and yes, I tend to do a bit better in that game with that overclock, but it doesn't really matter...only if I want to be neurotic and insist i take the top score on the server...which i do often enough anyway.

My son plays games on an FX-4100, and an HD5850, with 8 GB of ram, and no overclock at all. Everything palys fine...but he doesn't play online games at all. in many online games, FPS = advantage.

16. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    +1 :toast:
    The CPU's on my crunching rigs are overclocked most of the time to keep my output up. I don't go too high as I want them to maintain stable output (no errors or blue screens) and still keep the heat at a manageable level.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I run a mild OC on both GPUs and my CPU :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    No OC here will once my comp gets to slow to play games, which will probably happen in about 11 days :)

I do under-volt my CPU.

19. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Performance for the dollar. Plus its fun to do.

CPU & GPU
    Custom Bios on the graphics card.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  20. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    If you have top of the line hardware sure - but for them most part there is still alot of software that can kick the crap out of an aging system (bf3, skyrim, GTA IV mods, etc etc).

Also, alot of the older chips (like my i5) get a noticeable boost from OC when paired with a modern gfx card.

21. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    I overclock my CPU when things get too slow. I had several overclocked GPUs out of the box, but I blew up a few so I don't bother with doing it myself.

22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I overclock the CPU GPU and system Ram. I do this because I can and it is more or less a free performance upgrade so's to speak.:toast:
    Plus overclocking and tuning it all is is a fun craft in and of it's self!;)

23. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    when ambient temperature will drop i think i will overclock again

24. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    i overclock only to my sandy bridge k edition, but with optimized settings, i never push cpu to work at maximum level everytime unless cpu get heavy workload, and i don't overclock gpus (both nvidia and amd) since they have been serving me well until now. (factory oc)

25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I have had very system I own overclocked since the day I got them. Yes I have smoked some chips, but I also have many that are still kicking. To this day my phenom ii 910 c2 95w chip is chugging along@3.4ghz. Along with some overlooked 3870x2's. 3 years, 3 different boards and 4 sets of gpu's and it still chugs along. Currently running a b97@4ghz. If it dies I'll find another chip and do the same. Current gpu's are c locked as well.

Random Murderer says thanks.