1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is your system overclocked?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Sep 10, 2012.

?

Is your system overclocked?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2012.
  1. Yes, graphics only

924 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Yes, CPU only

2,554 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Yes, CPU and graphics card

5,174 vote(s)
    41.6%
  4. No

3,783 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    Very handy information

I used to overclock all my stuff. Just to see what they could do.
    Once I got my 2500K's and 670's I found they were more than fast enough for my needs.
    I do some MILD oc'ing with them.

:twitch:;):)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  2. jjnissanpatfan

jjnissanpatfan

Thanks Received:
    I have a I7 920 still and overclock since i built my first computer. With the rig i use now, i have side step on so it stays low power until i game. Same thing with the video card stays clocked low until i game. When i game i want the most eye candy and smooth gaming. Usually eveything works the way i set it and i get better performance. I spent 1000 almost four years ago and still play most games with good frames. When i upgrade that is a thing i look for can i overclock? That is what this website has BURNED INTO MY BRAIN !!!!! And i love it.

3. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    GPU overclock maybe not big improve, but CPU overclock really feel big different.

4. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    I need to play BF3 at max settings and the most fps I could possibly squeeze out of my hardware!

5. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    I want to make the most out of my money in terms of performance. I overclock everything that can be overclocked ;0)

6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Nope nothing, haven't needed to OC, can still play all the games flat out without issues.

7. renz496

Thanks Received:
    vote for 'no'

for me i will only overclock my cpu/gpu if there is need to

8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
  9. Tartaros

Tartaros

Thanks Received:
    When I played fps I did overclock but not anymore, I only play lol and wow and watch movies so no need for extra power. Now I value more the silence, low heat and less space for the pc case. It's more effective to have an ssd, that's what really makes the difference in overall performance.

10. jihadjoe

jihadjoe

Thanks Received:
    Another Q6600 user here! Oc'd to 3.0GHz (just enough oc to not feel too slow in games, but not needlessly wasteful since I leave the machine on 24/7.
    GTX670 running completely stock. There's really no point overclocking this GPU with the CPU above.

11. STCNE

STCNE New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm actually surprised there are so many here who haven't been overclocking. I figured I'd be the odd one out. With my last PC I did a lot of OCing, but ever since I got my 2500K about a year ago I haven't bothered. I really don't do much of anything that stresses out my PC so I've just left everything stock. I'm just not the gamer I once was and the games I do play are games that I can play with my friends, who have older laptops.

When you think about it, overclocking isn't really free performance. The money spent on fans and heatsinks does add up. I think of it more as a cheap upgrade when you hit the point you can't max something out. A heatsink is a lot cheaper than a new CPU.

12. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but with water you can have a huge radiator and use low speed fans whose volume is below the noise floor of the room. With air, you have limited heatsink area so you need higher speed fans that are louder.

13. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    24/7 CPU only. I keep my cards at stock clocks and undervolted.

14. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Permanent CPU overclock, my i7 930 (2.8ghz) is always at 4GHz which makes a huge difference in games, together with an H100 watercooling kit it never goes above 70c in gaming. Paired with an XFX 7970BE at 1100/1425.

15. Kaleid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently no overclocking. But I have saved settings (3.3Ghz with lower than original vcore @ 2.93Ghz), 3.6Ghz, 3.8Ghz and 4.04Ghz) in bios if I wish to have more CPU horsepower.

Graphic card is overclocked but it spends most of its time in 2d settings anyway.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  16. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    Everything that has a change-able frequency is overclocked at my system.

#YOOCO

17. newlife

newlife New Member

Thanks Received:
    i overclock my i5 to 4.2ghz while undervolted, at stock speeds i can get it stable with 0.9v-1.0v.
    my gpu depends on if it supports sli or not
    and i forgot my ram which i overclock to max because i can(600mhz overclock)

18. [XC] Oj101

[XC] Oj101

Thanks Received:
    Everything overclocked, cause 3ds Max, GPUGrid and WCG don't know the meaning of "enough".

19. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I only have a igpu with the core i5 atm so i can only slightly oc the igpu and cpu , using stock intel cooler too, not much room, but, will have a closed loop single rad system within next 2 weeks and a dedicated gpu too, then i will go troppo lol!!!

20. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Everything overclocked.
    CPU from 3.2 to 3.7(at lower voltage)-Using stock cooler.
    IMC from 2.0 GHz to 2.8 GHz (1.1V default-using 1.275V)
    RAM from 1333 MHz to 1600 MHz(All default voltages and timing 9-9-9-24).

21. YautjaLord

YautjaLord

Thanks Received:
    Just CPU, had no luck with the GPUs running OC'd as well. Currently @ 4.0GHz. Why to OC? Why not? :laugh:

But seriously? To learn; just like everything else in life. And cause you don't buy Phenom II 965BE to run it @ stock clocks. :toast:

22. Doc41

Doc41

Thanks Received:
    CPU only for now, although my mobo is good with overclocking i'm just afraid to mess with voltage so i just used ASUS's CPU level up to crank my i5 750 to 3.2GHz.

And i had no luck with overclocking my card as games seem to not like the overclock and crash or maybe i'm just doing it wrong, tho i'd prefer to have an aftermarket cooler for the GPU as with all stuff stock coolers aren't OC friendly

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure I see the point of building a custom right without doing some overclocking. What's the fun of that?

I suppose if it's good enough for your needs and not worth your time, then why bother.

But I don't feel I'm getting the most for my money unless I clock it. Get more bang for my buck that way.

24. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd have thought that there would be much more people OCing the GPU only vs OCing the CPU only. Also I would have never guessed 1 out 3 people on TPU don't OC at all.

Personally, only 24/7 OC I do is on the GPU and not to the max. I have a few profiles and only OC to the max for demanding games, which are like 2 or 3 lol.

On the CPU side I find that stock 2500k is enough and have only found minimal gains in the games that I've tested. So I rather have my sytem completely silent. I do OC it when I need to do a lot of 3D rendering (hours) but that's not too often, so I chose the "graphics only" option. I do plan OCing the CPU when it becomes a bottleneck tho.

25. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    Overclock both CPU & GPU. It's dead simple, and a free performance boost.

In fact, my 5850 is nearly 3 years old now, been overclocked the entire time. Haven't noticed any negative effects other than the stock fan sounding like a hair dryer before the original fan died.

I change hardware every few years, system longevity isn't the biggest concern for me.
    All my recent gear from the past ~4 years is still kicking despite being overclocked 24/7.