1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is your system overclocked?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Sep 10, 2012.

?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2012.
  1. Yes, graphics only

924 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Yes, CPU only

2,554 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Yes, CPU and graphics card

5,174 vote(s)
    41.6%
  4. No

3,783 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    CPU only at this point, from 3.5 stock to 4.5, and able to do so on air thankfully. GPU is rated for 1170, but turbo's to 1228 on it's own and I've yet to find a need at 1080P to need to clock it up anymore than it already does...yet. I had an HD5870 for over 3 years that I recently sold, never clocked it once....ran great and was able to maintain good temps (was the XFX Rev 2 with the center fan). Probably the only GPU I never OC'd. This 770 will see some OC action soon I'm sure.

:rockout:

2. nimd4

nimd4

Thanks Received:
    • Yes, graphics only
    • Yes, CPU only
    • Yes, CPU and graphics card
    • No
    • Yes, RAM only

There's an option missing from the poll. ;-$ 2x2GB DDR3 cooked to 1600MHz, on MSI Z68A-G45, using their 'Instant OC' (BIOS) interface..:)

Not 100% sure which one, gsysinfo doesn't show it and it's way too early in the morning to be using a screwdriver =)

Code:
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G45--G3-.html
    or
    Code:
    http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z68A-G45--B3-.html
    Edit: As of lately, I've been running Windblow$ (2000, XP x64 and 7) in the Oracle VM VirtualBox && it's very nice!! Just need to get more memory and hopefully upgrade Sandy to Ivy!.. The IntelĀ® VT Virtualization allows it to run very smoothly, it's very nice. :-D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    New reason for me... obsolete hardware that needs to be oced to keep up with faster, newer stuff!

4. nimd4

nimd4

Thanks Received:
    There seems to be some discrepancy?..;-P Anyway, just j/k, but I thought I should mention it: the RAM was auto-detected by the MSI mobo - that it has 2/3 speed settings - and they're automatically set; I suspect that many/all new(er) RAM will come with such *features* until post-DDR3 drops. Fingers crossed that it won't be Rambus / server editions that come out first. :-f

P.S.
    OC doesn't have to, necessarily, mean loud noise; even though Zalman discontinued the most awesome product ever to be made: Zalman LQ1000 Z-Machine (which had built-in, another product of theirs that was also discontinued, a whole liquid-cooling component.. to go along with the fanless PSU); there are still some cool LC solutions out there - though they'll never be as awesome! :-(

.. This one, RESERATOR 1 V2 (which doesn't seem too bad :))

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I know loud noise doesn't have to be part of ocing... but I've gotten so used to it, if my computer shuts off at night for any reason, I will wake up right away. Yes, even 2 rooms away.... Everyone likes their own way of doing things. Currently, I'm doing it old-school... partly for the history lesson, and partly because I'm on a fixed income... ocing a first gen i7, and running 2 GTX480s, powered by 2 psus totalling 1650 watts! Had to add a 2nd psu to power the 2nd 480, as the first poor little 850 watt kept shutting down under load, and I wanted to oc the 480s, not just run them. As it is, I about match a modern system running a GTX680 stock... when you don't have much, you make do!