1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Issue with some games in Fullscreen - HD5870

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by LifeOnMars, Apr 5, 2011.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently made a thread regarding a problem I was having with Mafia II. When played in fullscreen, the game was stuttering and had a weird jitter to it. When put into windowed mode it played flawlessly(butter smooth) and I have in fact just completed the whole game playing it windowed. Since then I have tried some more games and have come across the same issue with a few more. I'll break it down into the games that have the issue and the ones that don't, to possibly help you get to the root of the problem and work it out for me.

Games that work normally in fullscreen

Bad Company @ 2048x1536 (STEAM version)
    Dirt 2 @ 1920x1440 (STEAM version )
    Batman Arkham Asylum @ 2048x1536 (STEAM version)
    Portal @ 2048 x 1536 (STEAM version)
    Just Cause 2 @ 2048 x 1536 (STEAM version)
    Alien Vs Predator @ 1920 x 1440 (STEAM version)
    Nail'd @ 2048 x 1536 (Retail version patched)
    Avatar @ 2048 x 1536 (Retail version patched)
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit @ 1920 x 1440 (Retail version patched)

Games that have a weird stutter/jitter issue in fullscreen

Need For Speed Shift (RETAIL) - Intense frameskipping but fine when windowed @ 2048x1536

Mafia II (STEAM) - Intense frameskipping and stuttering but fine when windowed @ 2048x1536

Fifa 11 (RETAIL) - Seems to stutter in both fullscreen and windowed (Maybe just an ATI issue as it was fine with my old Nvidia card)

GTA IV (STEAM) - I have to lock the framerate else it is frameskipping galore (played perfectly smooth previously on a GTS 450)

Things that I have tried so far

D3D Overrider
    In Game Vsync On/Off if the option is there
    Lowest game settings
    Different drivers ranging from the first released for the HD 5870 right up to the Cat 11.4 Preview drivers.
    Stock Settings and fully overclocked settings
    Different timings on my memory
    Different monitors and different resolutions
    Fresh installs of Windows 7 x64

I have a very slimline installation which means all I have running software wise in the background is Catalyst, MSE and Steam/Steam Overlay.

Really want to find the cause for this issue so help me out guys. Incidentally, regarding Mafia 2, I did email 2k Games technical support but as yet, have not recieved a reply.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  2. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any help on this, especially understanding the strange fullscreen (crap performance) to windowed (smooth performance) glitch would be really appreciated guys. Very annoying.

Also, is GTA IV basically unplayable on ATI cards unless you use frame locks? Like I mentioned previously, GTA played flawlessly on a GTS 450. With the HD 5870.....it just plain sucks. Fraps is showing framerates over 100 @ 2048x1536 and yet it's a jerky stuttery mess.
  3. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Any ideas yet? I've got the same problem. Please help.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm not getting why you only tried up through Cat 11.4 drivers? When I punch in your spec, it shows Cat 13.1 WHQL, and you could also try the new 13.2 beta.

Also MAKE SURE you do clean driver installs with some sort of driver cleaner. Some use Driver Sweeper, but AMD also has a new Cleanup Utility.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/AMD-Catalyst-Un-install-Utility-1210-Download-210633.html

http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=giveme&dwn_id=1726

And please fill out the system spec details under your screen name at the left when asking such questions.
  5. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    My prognosis:

You have a Crap System.

My suggestion:

Buy a better system.
  6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Waste of time with no crap system specs.
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well he mentions a 5870 and some pretty high resolutions played at, so one would assume he has a fairly capable CPU and RAM, but ya never know. That native res is really too high for one 5870 though.
  8. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well when I said I have the exactly same problem, I literally meant it. I have a capable laptop with AMD 7650 graphic card and the proboem only occures in full screen mode. The funny thing is that i dont know how hp has made the two graphics on my laptop switch that i can not access catalyst settings to change some options there. Now is there any solution?
  9. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    Guys this thread is from 2011....
    ...PACMAN... says thanks.
  10. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, does it matter? I still have the same problem.
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you have a 5xxx series card, the best drivers out are the 11.11 performance drivers hands down!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Just stay away from OpenGL programs. If you have to use one go with 11.9
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Do you have any other windows open or tray icons that are flashing (like AV)? That was a big studder problem cause way back when.
  14. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll test the driver cleaner. If I can open catalyst I maybe able to change some settings to fix the problem. However, my laptop is a dual graphic card one. I assume other versions except the one provided by hp itself can't work or make the switch when necessary.

Sorry mate, what are they?

No, I don't.

I'm curious to know why it works flawlessly in window mode, but not in full screen.
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Popular OpenGL programs are 3D Studio Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Quake games, Rage ect. Pretty much anything made by Adobe or iD Software.
    Greight says thanks.
  16. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Which begs the question what specific software is having the problem in fullscreen.

Running Furmark a few days ago, I noticed a lot of studders in windowed mode, but not in fullscreen, go figure...
    Greight says thanks.
  17. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just have Photoshop from Adobe which is not running of course when I play Mafia.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the newer drivers tend to have issues with the 5xxx series and OpenGL. Mafia may run ok but Photoshop might give you an issue. This is why I suggested 11.9's over 11.11.

11.11 are better for games. No doubt. But if you NEED photoshop to run correctly or a game that uses OpenGL I suggest you stay with 11.9.

Remember the 5xxx series card are almost 3 generations old now. There is no need for super new drivers for them.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  19. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have "7650M DDR3 2048 MB UpTo 4096 MB" graphic card. I mentioned the problem here because I have "exactly" the same problem. In windowed mode no problem, in full screen what can I say? yes problem?! ;)
  20. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah I didnt catch that. Your issue is the IGP taking over for the dedicated. Reayth here on the forums just had that same issue this past weekend.
    Greight says thanks.
  21. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't find that. Can you help me? BTW I think Catalyst has a problem with UAC. I disabled it and the settings opens with no problem. I think something must be disabled for Mafia 2 there.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Uninstall the Intel Graphics the AMD Cat/drivers. Clean em out. Then turn off the intel drivers in the Windows updater and only install the AMD drivers.

Its a half ass way of doing things but it works. If you can turn off the IGP in the Bios. Most of the time you can't on a laptop however. Also get laptop manufacturer drivers. Not the ones directly from AMD.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  23. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    It could also be that the 7650 really isn't a capable card. Try full screen with lowered settings.
  24. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever I uninstall hd graphics of Intel, somehow it comes back. Also the Intel HD Graphics manager is not listed neither in add/remove programs nor in updated there. I have Intel HD Graphics from hp and when I try to install it it says something like unsupported machine. :confused:

And after playing in full screen I get a pink environment which I have to restart the game and go to windowed mode or log off and log in.
  25. Greight New Member

Thanks Received:
    If so how come it works flawlessly with highest settings in windowed mode? There should be something little to fix the problem.