1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

issues overclocking and waking up from standby

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gabb7, Jun 29, 2006.

1. gabb7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I've got the intel 805 cpu overclocked to 3.8 ghz. I'll add the hw config at the end of the post.

The issue I have is that 90% of the times I go in standby, when waking up the computer reboots after 2 seconds of displaying the login screen.

Otherwise the system is rock solid, It *never crashed* or hanged running at 3.8 ghz (no matter what I was doing and what was the system usage)

I would have thought is a software issue but if I go back to 2.6 ghz the normal freq the standby/wake up works perfect every single time.

my first guess was that it's because of insufficient power but I've tried 2 different power supplies and even swapped 7800gtx for a regular PCI VGA card. same result.

At this point I have no clue what else I can do or what the problem is, I'll appreciate any suggestions

hw config is:

intel pentium D 805
    asus p5ld2 deluxe mobo
    2 x 1gb ddr2 667 (running @633)
    ninja heatsync + 12 cm fan
    enermax 630w power (also tried the 480w antech truepower 2.0)
    thermaltake alluminium case
    7800gtx reference
    maxtor pata 120 gb (also tried a 40gb seagate)

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Turn off stand-by, if that's the only thing bothering you.

3. gabb7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    don't quite get what you're saying but I don't want to turn it off as it takes like 5 minutes for the thing to come all the way up ...

4. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    use hibernate..

most motherboards are glitchy with overclocking and standby. matter of fact mine is glitchy at stock so i just leave mine run all the time...(according to my network my comp has been on for about 2 weeks now)

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's an option in Control Panel that lets you decide if you want stand-by, just turn it off so your computer is always running. My comp messed up when I overclocked and had stand-by, I had to reset the CMOS because something wierd happened, so I just turned it off and everything was fine.

6. gabb7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll probably use the "hibernate" mode in the mean time. It takes a very long time to go in hybernate with 2gb of ram to be saved but on the other hand the wake up is fairly quick - much quicker than a regular shutdown/power on sequence.
    I just don't understand why just by overcloking the CPU the standby mode would messed up like that and cause reboots on almost every wake-up...

7. ¬ęBladE|==| New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suggest using hibernate or BOOTVIS! Look it up people! Great program!