1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Issues w/9600 Pro after SP 2 update on Fresh XP Install

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kursah, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I'm building a PC for my sister out of some old parts from my girlfriend's recently upgraded PC (parts from my recently upgraded PC none-the-less!). The setup I'm having issues with is some old equipment:

S423 1.4Ghz Pentium 4
    ECS P4ITA v1.0 Motherboard (has 4x AGP, this has never been an issue)
    768MB PC800 RDRAM
    Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb AGP 8X (compatable w/4X, has been used for years)
    430Watt Raidmax Power Supply
    --------
    (In my sister's case, none changed/added/replaced)
    A DVD burner, CD Burner, 1 60gb HDD, 1 80gb HDD

So my issue is, I had to format her system and re-install Xp Pro on it. I replaced the MB she had with the above listed as it's lightyears ahead of what she was using. I had pulled the equipment above from my G/F's pc about a month ago, and it was working perfect with XP SP2...no issues. I go to perform a fresh XP Install, everything goes normally. I am making the normal runs for an XP install, everything is going quite well, I install MB Drivers, install Service Pack 2.0, restart and upon entering XP the screen is mostly garbled, the reseloution goes to 640x480. I changed every reseloution, refresh rate, color options in every mix possible (up to 1024x768 compatable monitor which is same monitor I used when I had this system originally), no changes. I uninstall the windows provided drivers for video and restart. Everything looks fine, it detects new hardware, I cancel the driver install attempts, just using basic windows drivers.

I go to load 5.13 drivers (I found to be best performing for this system a long time ago), and upon restart the screen goes blank at windows loading..and stays that way till I push the restart button for next POST..and works fine until windows loads. I have to restart in Safe Mode and uninstall the catalyst drivers and CCC...

I was wondering if it was my vid card messing up, and it might be, but I find it hard to figure that since it works normally with basic windows drivers. The garbled screen is not the complete screen, mostly background, icons, letters, some of the start menu. The mouse arrow is normal, and some of open windows are OK...

I don't understand what's wrong as I've never seen this happen before, and when this system was taken out and put away in anti static bags for 1 month it was working fine with the same setup, drivers, system and upgrades...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this,
    Kursah

2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    try the newest drivers for the 9600. some of the newer updates might screw over the older drivers.

3. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried re-seating the video card? sometimes they don't sit correctly and the pins don't make good contact with the card edge. I've seen it before with a similar result.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a shot...I already re-seated it once...but it does not appear to be fully seated. Hell this m/b is so old maybe a pin is wearing out...god know's it's been used. I just can't believe the B/S it's giving me as it is such a simple setup compared to modern PC's. Thanks!!!

5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    No Dice...

I reseated the 9600, no dice...once I loaded drivers or windows installed it's drivers for this card and had to restart the screen went back to 640x480 @ 16bit and was garbled to hell.
    I could manually set up to 800x600 @ 32, screen still garbled...but if I tried to go to a higher resolution it'd auto set back to 640x480...

So I stuck in an old GForce 2 MX400 AGP 4x that I used to run in this MB...it loaded fine, until drivers were installed, and it actually acted worse than the ATI... it ran at 640x480 @ 4 bit color! I didn't know that 4 bit color could be done since Windows 3.1!!! LoL!

I am getting to the point of serious frustration on this machine as it is old and simple and this should not be defeating me...as it never did this before and this system has been taken care of. Maybe it's just tired and done...but only when video drivers are installed.

Also, once I install drivers..whether NV or ATI...I cannot do anything 3d...get a couple of errors and it closes whatever I was attempting to run. I do not understand this either...oh well...I'll keep trying things.

Any help welcome! Thanks for your support!