1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

It has finally happened, R.I.P. 9800 Pro @ XT

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 15th Warlock, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Well, it happened at last, my 9800 Pro @ XT finally died yesterday, after almost 18 months of faithful service.
    After two hours of playing the F.E.A.R. demo, my speakers started making a very loud metallic noise, I restarted my computer, and there it was, instead of the intel inside logo I was used to on every reboot, I was greeted by flashing blue lines across the screen. Somehow I knew then, that everything was over...
    Now cracks a noble core, Goodnight my sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest :(

P.S.: On a side note, after many, many years of OCing video cards, this is the very first time one has died on me, I even still have a very old TNT2 running OCd at my dads office without any problem... The fact that I purchased a very expensive cooler for my card makes this loss a lot more shocking... Guess my next purchase will be an nVidia card... :eek:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to hear 15th :(

3. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    :( ... But now you can get a new card that will power new life into your computer. :)

-Dan

4. AceFactor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey 15th. .my deepest sympathies for ya! :(

However. .i think you shudnt be mentally scarred my these turn of events. . .you should come to terms with this loss. .and not try and replace you card with something inferior! :D

Stay with your faithful friend ATI. . .he has neva treated you wrong. .but now one of his best friends has had to leave us. . . .

By a ne X series ATI card. .i got a X850XT 256Mb. . .i reflashed it to XTPE. .and i'm happy! I know you will be too. .with an ATI card :)

Sweet dreams. .and no tears. . .all the best

Adam

5. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to here that dude, never had a card die on me before, had a CPU die on me, but not a GPU. Hope you've got a decent backup.

If you have the money, or will have the money, I would wait for the R520s. That way you could get one of those, or if you don't want to spend that much you should be able to get an x800 or x850 for a lot cheaper than what they are right now once the R520s debut.

6. spectre440 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, if i were you, i'd wait as well.

heck, i *am* waiting, hehe...

but i have my eye on a nice 6800gt. :)

7. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the support guys :)
    My backup is a 9200SE :rolleyes: Some games like Battlefield 2 won't even start...
    About a new card, I agree, right now isn't the best time to upgrade, I could wait for the R5X0, but it would mean having to upgrade mobo, proc and mem too, as my mobo doesn't support PCIe...
    Just got back from the U.S. this week, and was about to resume playing Battlefield 2 after two months of waiting, and now my card dies all of the sudden...
    I'm going back to the U.S. in about 3 weeks, so maybe I'll get a 6800GT; the 850XT is way too expensive for me right now, I know prices will fall in a couple of months, but I don't think I can wait that long to play BF2 again, so I guess a 6800GT will do, prices are on the $280-300 range now, which is exactly what I can afford at this moment :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning on selling my x800 Pro VIVO with 16pp at 540/540 for $200 when the r520s come out if you're interested.

9. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was the best way to go, doing what it did best, rendering graphics. Especially when it didn't even hint that it was going to die. That's what I love, things that just keep going and going and never give you a sign that they're in pain. Toyota's good at that (random, but it's true), and so was your 9800.

10. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an overclocked 9600XT die on me while playing freelancer. 9600's seem to die easy. Ah yes... I remember after it died I pried off the gpu with a screwdriver and cut it in half with a pair of metal shears as burial. Give it a proper burial and post pics!!

11. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a month old thread...

12. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    *two* I think..., but so what?

13. turbopsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not generally cool going to forums and ressurecting old useless threads.

14. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I RMAd it, the card had problems with the power connector since I bought it, and it was covered with a lifetime warranty, so I'm waiting to see if I'll have it repaired or replaced :)

Crunching for Team TPU