1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ive got a question thats needs a quick answer

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by BigD6997, Feb 6, 2006.

1. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if i get a new mb, and i have a hard drive with all my stuff on it, and i install the mobo, will i have to reinstall the OS and loose all of my stuff on my HD? and if i dont have a os disk because i had a emachine (the only thing im using from it is the processor mobo and hard drive).... so will i have to reinstall my OS if i get a new mobo?
  2. newmodder New Member

Thanks Received:
    reinstall maybe

most of the time you dont need to reinstall.just make a boot disk and back up all your files to another hd or cd, just in case you have to reinstall. or if you have a friends operating cd you can just do a windows xp repair..

i changed my mobo from a ecs rs480-m to abit kn8 nf4 sli board and i didnt have to do anthing. just install all chipset drivers and reinstall video and sound drivers.
    worst case you may have to reinstall..but not likely..what mobo are you changing to, and what do have now?your score looks good:)
  3. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The magic word is repair install.
    Just start setup and repair your installation, it'll basically do a full isntall but keep all your settings, programs, etc.
  4. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    You might have to reactivate Windows.I put a 3rd ram in my mainboard and after loading windows it has had to be reactivated in 3 days.I tried to use the free number to fill in the code but i had to use the expensive number with service included.
  5. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    im switching from my stock mb (emachine) with a ati x200 chipset, to a either asus crossfire mb or a dfi lp crossfire mb... any sugestion on wich one is better?
  6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure which is better. I'm sure you could find some reviews to read in the review database though. You might also want to check out the Abit crossfire board that wizzard just reviewed.
  7. BigD6997

BigD6997 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i bought the sapphire crossfire board... it seemed like the better buy... hopefully i dont get a bad board, or give me any trouble