1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i've got the coolermaster hyper 212 EVO and its fairly loud

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by tuunade98, Nov 18, 2012.

1. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    A lot of people say that this cpu cooler is really quiet, but mine sounds like theres an air conditioner inside my computer. How do i fix this?
  2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    sounds like your system is running the fan at full speed. Look in your bios and see if there is something about system fan control or something simular that gives you the ability to turn down the speeds your fan is spinning at.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Are there fan control options in your bios? Set them to "quiet", "low" or whatever your bios call it. If you don't have them the fan is going to run at 100%
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    did you remove the plastic from the bottom. did you apply the paste properly?

did you plug the fan into the 4pinheader?
  5. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    i did some research and i think you guys are right. I had a look in my bios and under pc health there was stuff about my cpu fan, cpu temperature, fan speed and what not. But i couldn't find anything that would lower the fan's speed, just options like SMART FAN MODE enabled or disabled and other options where give me a warning if the fan dies or the temperature goes to high. Here are my specs

GA-78LMT-S2P (GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD)
    Radeon 5770 1GB
    COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO CPU COOLER
    8gb ram
    AMD 1100t 6cores 3.3ghz

EDIT: de das dude. Im 100% sure i removed the plastic, put on the paste correctly, and if i didn't plug in the fan it shouldn't work at all? correct me if im wrong
    ATM while not many programs are opened up, its fairly quiet but before when i was in my BIOS it was REALLY LOUD, plus during when i play games it gets fairly loud as well.
    I searched up the manual for my motherboard and apparently i can use EASYtune to adjust my fan speed and what not. What speed should i set the fan too? i just did a good stress test on my cpu, i ran black ops 2 multiplayer and single player, borderlands 2 and skyrim and checked my cpu usage and it was at around 40 - 60%. Temperatures reached up to nearly 60, i used FANSPEED to check the fan's speed and temperatures
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those temperatures are way too high for such a low load on your cpu (assuming it's not overclocked). Try re-seating your cpu cooler.
  7. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    I agree with anoobarak- those temps are pretty high.

What case are you using?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    A mid tower generic basic case.
    EDIT: playing black ops 2 makes it pretty loud as well, pretty much when the cpu gets used at around 20 or more % it starts to get loud.
    My cpu cooler is facing down towards my graphics card.
  9. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Those temps are WAY too high. I recently switched the cooler on my 1090T to a lapped Thermaltake big typhoon and in a case with REALLY poor airflow, after running prime 95 for HOURS the Max temp I saw was 47C.

Re-seat the cooler. This time use very little TIM on the cooler on the metal parts between the heat pipes. DO NOT spread the TIM out on the CPU with a card or anything else. The pressure of the cooler will make it spread. If you spread the TIM out on the CPU there will be air bubbles and poor heat transfer.
  10. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Talking about really poor air flow, that's exactly what I also have so when I take the cooler back out should I clean the thermal paste of the CPU before applying new thermal paste and will tissues work fine? To clean my CPU
  11. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    If you dont have a grease remover use alcohol(vodka,perfume,ect)
  12. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    Which way should I have the CPU fan facing?
  13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    With airflow towards an exhaust.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i hope you have one exhaust. and yes you should always clean before you apply new paste!

use tissues. or newspaper. if you dont have alcohol, use a bit of spit.
  15. BlackOmega

BlackOmega

Thanks Received:
    Always clean. Use toilet paper, paper towels, or even cloth with rubbing alcohol. Clean both the cooler and the CPU.
  16. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    ok i refitted the cpu cooler, the fan now faces to the back of my case which has holes for air to flow out.
    EDIT: At the moment, the cpu is running at 30 - 40 degrees idle.
  17. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    ok i refitted the cpu cooler, the fan now faces to the back of my case which has holes for air to flow out.
    EDIT: At the moment, the cpu is running at 30 - 40 degrees idle.
    Its reaching near 60 while playing black ops 2. I have no idea what im doing wrong i may just have bad ventilation inside my case. The only fans i have inside my case are the CPU fan, graphics card fan and power supply fan.
    EDIT: lol i have no exhaust
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  18. Norton

Thanks Received:
    The only way to keep a system cool is to get the heat out of it.... air flow is the key to doing this. Some pics of the case (inside and outside) will be helpful to see where restrictions may be corrected.

Also, try running it with the side panel off to see if it helps.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    i don't like having the side panel of though, but i can take pics. Hold on.
    edit: DAM my pictures are to big in file size. I did some research and my CPU should not go any higher then 62 or its just too hot. I also found a program named prime 95 to help me test my temperatures while my cpu is at 100%.
    With the side panel OFF it only reached 50 - 55 degrees. WIth it back ON it reached up to 60 and i just stopped it there coz i didn't want it to go any higher. NOTE its not even a hot day, i can imagine my computer going alot more hotter if the weather was really hot.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  20. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    I had a computer years ago that would overheat and shut off so I took the side panel off and pointed a desk fan at it. Problem solved.

At the time I wasn't very smart about computer parts, but if I had to guess I think the video card fan was busted.

Something I just remembered. A relative of mine bought the 212 hyper and couldn't figure out why his cpu was overheating. He never screwed it all the way down.
  21. Norton

Thanks Received:
    You can resize the pics in Paint (percentage or pixel count) to get them to a more manageable size. Open the pic, right click and select edit, should get you to Paint if you have no other photo editor (approximately 1600x1200 pixels or less is usually OK)

Definitely sounds like you need air flow improvement.....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. tuunade98

Thanks Received:
    here are pictures of my case and inside. EDIT: YES i do need air flow improvement haha. i take the side panel out 10 DEGREES is GONE!!. ITs just really hot inside my computer with the side panel on.

Attached Files:

23. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Norton

Thanks Received:
    TRWOV called it- that fan needs to be on the other (front) side of the cooler and pushing air thru the cooler and out the rear of the case. Some more fans will definitely help also.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Quite simply, your case doesn't have good airflow. The fan on the CPU cooler should be attached to the other side, and the air should be flowing from the front of the case to the back. Secondly, no rear exhaust fan is installed, leaving only your power supply fan to remove any heat from the CPU. You should try to purchase fans to populate the back set of holes, the bottom set of side panel holes if there are spots for 4 screws, and a fan for the front if there is a place to mount one. As it is, the case has poor airflow compared to a typical case that has at least a 120mm front fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan, if not a 120mm side panel or even a 120mm roof panel fan in addition to the front and back fans.
    Crunching for Team TPU