1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ivy Bridge is hot, power hungry, and bad clocker. They know why

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MxPhenom 216, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    SOURCE

2. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    LoL OBR.......

Anyway it's not power hungry
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can't always make an ideal CPU, maybe the design still needs some tweaking, or the process isn't mature yet. Also people forget that IB has 20% more transistors (1.4B) and a smaller die, which could lead to more heat on smaller area.

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    i know. This was just posted on OCN, and then Dave just told me OBR fails. What im hearing is that it just has a lot more leakage. But that could be fixed with new stepping and such.

repman244 says thanks.
  4. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but still I think it's a subject to discuss about anyway :toast:

EDIT: I heard IB CPU has Tjmax of 105C,

5. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yes Tjmax is 105, chips look to clock fine, temps are a problem but people forget even if its high leakage the chips arent spread out anymore they are building UP as well as OUT IHS is also bowed out a bit instead of in, meaning alot of water blocks and cpu coolers dont make good contact.

6. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    No matter how "bad" people think Ivy Bridge is, the facts make it a nice successor for Sandy Bridge.

1) Still overclocks very well despite creating more heat as the voltages go up. 5GHz is great, but so is 4.5-4.7Ghz.
    Doesn't clock as well as SB but the 5-10% increase in IPC should make up for that.
    2) It's a die shrink, better power efficiency, and a much better IGP. All of these are improvements over Sandy Bridge.
    3) Ivy Bridge might not be a HUGE improvement over SB like SB was over Nehalem, but this is expected, IB is a tick, not a tock.
    4) Most P67 motherboard owners can run IB with just a simple BIOS update.
    5) IB beats the living life out of Bulldozer, Llano, and I'm sure it will destroy Trinity as well.

Also, I really doubt ORB-Hardware is a credible news source.

I see nothing wrong at all with IB. IB does exactly what Intel said it would do. So what if it doesn't do 5GHz on air? If thats the complaint people have, they are READING IT WRONG. As in, that's not the point of new CPU architectures, efficiency and performance increases on existing platforms is the point. Intel nailed it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  7. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Bravo Bravo +1

8. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Do you think the temperatures problem might get better with later revisions?

9. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
  10. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    Apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, but...

What kind of temps would an individual be looking at, with say... Apogee HD Waterblock, 360/420 rad, 1/2"ID tubing, and a decent pump? Assuming that was a CPU-only loop, and with ~130-190cfm 120/140mm fans in push-pull?

I only ask because I am so damn torn between Rampage IV Extreme + 3930K *OR* (when released) Rampage V Extreme-Z + 3770K; either way, though, I am looking at doing a dual-loop system as I want the best of both worlds (high OC + long life), at least as much as is possible...

I hear claims of 4.8-5.0ghz 2500K/2600K/2700K CPU's hitting a MAXIMUM of 60*C using Prime95/Intel Burn-In Test with a simple Corsair H100! I don't know if that is accurate or not, or if people are embellishing, but that's not the point...
    I just can't imagine that with a full custom loop and a large radiator (not to mention huge static-pressure fans), that the new IVB processors wouldn't be able to be maintained at ~65*C max @ 4.6-4.9ghz?

Keep in mind, though, I am only speaking theoretically, so don't flame me if I am way off base! ;) I am hoping that one (or more) of the far-more-experienced-than-I members can answer my question to some degree...
    Thanks!

11. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but who would buy a $300 CPU and use IGP, which btw are as weak as piss:nutkick:

12. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe, but it's a lot of power in a small area=heat, especially as the clocks ramp up.
    Nothing to worry about at stock though.

13. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Corporate IT departments.

No need for VC - save power, and the chip uses less power while being fast as hell with high mem bandwith... which means the machine will last a long time.

Has good general purpose gfx, so will work well for presentations and visualizations, as well as dual monitor support... Its definitely a nice chip.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  14. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe for you, but it's a very dull chip for me as a gamer and compared to SB...

15. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    well I know some people who went with i7 2600K and not buy a gpu, a friend of mine just went and bought everything for facebook and youtube, until now it doesn't have any gpu, don't know why he can stand that.

btw he is no gamer, just excel,ms word and stuff but yeah I'm like put a GPU inside :roll:

16. Yellow&Nerdy?

Yellow&Nerdy?

Thanks Received:
    There's also another reason why Ivy runs so hot. Apparently, they have used TIM instead of fluxless solder. http://www.overclockers.com/ivy-bridge-temperatures That combined with the new tri-gate architecture and tightly packed transistors explain the high heat output. Now it might be, that it is because it's an engineering sample, and retail CPU's aren't as bad heat output wise, I don't know. If anyone has already grabbed one, please let us know.

In my opinion, Intel should launch like a "i5 3550K" and a "i7 3750K", where they have disabled the integrated GPU. Let's be honest, people who buy K-series chips are not going to run their rig on Intel integrated graphics. That would greatly help the issue with the heat output, and also give more OC-headroom.

17. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know Intel was catering to individuals.... :banghead: These cpus and any cpu are for more than just gamers.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. mdbrotha03

Thanks Received:
    I think your chip is dull. I don't see why you would complain considering how old of a processor your using. You would get more of a performance increase with Ivy than you would with Sandy

19. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    but well if he can get i5 2500k at 160$ in newegg and i5 ivy for 220$ imo I would go with i5 2500k, ivy is just a smaller sb with hd4000 and a little performance increase which should not affect gaming oe work stuff that much, well 160$ for 2500k is already a steal imo. but well ib isn't that bad

20. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    Except that it is now last-gen tech... Pairing IVB with a Z77 Board gives you PCIE3.0 and native USB3.0.

True, it's not revolutionary, it's evolutionary, but it still has more to offer.

Personally, I believe IVB should have had at least 32 PCIE3.0 lanes for x16/x16 or x16/x8/x8 for video cards, and 16/8/4/4 for two video cards, and a sound card plus RAID Card, but wishing just doesn't make it so...

21. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD