1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ivy Bridge Preview

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by radrok, Mar 7, 2012.

1. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Millennium and cadaveca say thanks.
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Looks good!

3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    I'm thrilled to see what will happen when they bring these improvements on Ivy Bridge-E, this IPC paired with 6-8 or even 10 cores :twitch:

4. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    Daily 5ghz at 1.3v?

5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Eh. By the time 2011 finally gets to stretch its legs with an 8 core Ivy-E Haswell will be getting previewed on Tom's. It seems like 2011 is doomed to be perpetually irrelevant. I hope these blunders make Intel retire the dual platform model next time around. It only worked on 1366 because it came first and the price difference wasn't nearly as nutty. All they'd have to do is add equivalent PCI-E lanes to Haswell and it'd be a total replacement.

I mean look at this ^ Ivy thingy. It basically beats or ties the 3960x every other bench while using almost half the power, and costing way less money.

6. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    It seems that with the 4000 graphics, intel will eat up the low end 3D market in less than a year. Not good for AMD or NV

7. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    HD 4000 is still quite pathetic amds trinitys are right around the corner. Ivy Bridge is exactly what I expected

8. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    The gaming benchies are the only ones that matter to me and there the performance is only a tiny bit better in most cases. Therefore, it's not worth buying from that point of view.

However, I'm an enthusiast and want the latest in my rig, so I'll probably find a way to buy it. ;) It'll be nice to have it running cooler, if nothing else.

9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Not that i trust anandtech benchmarks much, but it seems to me if you already own a 2600K there is no real reason to move to a 3770k.

Good improvement on the graphics side of things, but just not good enough.

10. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, slightly disappointing 5-15% cpu gains. I'm not interested in the intel graphics and won't use them anyway.

Then again CPU gains are CPU gains and I will probably try an upgrade from 2500k to 3770k. If I already had a 2600k I would certainly not bother. The other point to take away is that the new cpu uses 27 less watts then a 2600k at full load (just over 20% I think). If this translates to 20% better overclocks that would be pretty epic.

Of course, it's Intel, I would expect them to limit this somehow :/

edit: why isn't this HUUUGE front page news? is it cause everyone hates on Anandtech? lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm interested how the idle power consumption hasn't changed a whole lot, full load power consumption is a nice benefit though, it should add a sizable amount of over-clock headroom. The only concern here is how much voltage can you give this 22nm chip? Smaller circuitry adding other complications such as circuit resistance so same voltage as SB very well could result in more heat, but 3D transistors *might* offset this. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens when it gets released, looks like a nice chip.

I'm still happy I got my 3820 though, binning turbo up to 4ghz from stock should close that tiny gap. ;)

It might not work this way, the transistors might be more efficient, but the circuity is still smaller which adds resistance. We shall see! I'm on the edge of my seat. :)

12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm Looks to be a slight bump in performance but not too amazing. I will wait until the overclocking begins :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt bother, Id much rather save money and OC your 2500k more. at 4.8-5Ghz that CPU will still chew through anything like a small pond teaming with hungry piranha after all the birds have migrated for the winter.

the 30watts power saving is nice though I'll admit. but you have to decide if its really worth the money. 5-15% more performance doesnt make an appealing upgrade but CPU gains are still CPU gains as you said.

I shall wait for more benchmarks then do a comparison with my 2500k.

frontpage has been reserved for CeBit posts.

Millennium says thanks.
  14. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
  15. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    IMO the voltages they are using to OC are not so different from SB. they still need around 1.37v to get to 5Ghz.

the first guy gets to 4.8Ghz on 0.944v (1.0958v quoted in core temp???) -- now that is pretty amazing shit providing its stable 24/7. after that initial post. every IB OC screenie seems to have fallen within SB territory either that or voltage scaling is really bad with these CPUs....

first guy gets 4.8 on 0.994-1.0958v then the second guy gets 5Ghz on 1.376v. thats quite a jump in voltage just for 200mhz.

16. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Temperatures were pretty bad in that XS thread. Someone claimed it was leaking due to 22mm process tech too which would be awful.

Starting to look a little disappointing now, whats the point of less volts if temp still higher? and where are the 5ghz+ overclocks? Still time but... not great.

17. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, HD4000 series still wont match the new trinity APU's from AMD. I'd say its one thing AMD is doing right on the CPU side of things.

There could be issues with overclock due to the Z77 Motherboard they are using? the more refined motherboards could help give better overclocks in the future?

Looking like a pretty good upgrade if you have the money to go from a 2600k, or if your sitting on P55 it would be amazing imo :rolleyes:

18. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Seems like Anandtech completely forgot about our Clarkdales/Lynnfields ;)

19. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    If these end up with 5.5ghz oc being fairly common, I will probably upgrade. I do plan to get a z77 board though, I'm not real fond of my msi z68.

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    A lot of these benchmark tests are single threaded. Throw it something that can use 12 threads and you'll see the difference. A good example is how much closer the 2600k and 3820 are to the 3770k in single-threaded performance because of the clocks that these chips run at.

Also where is everyone seeing this IVB hitting 5ghz @ 1.3v deal, I'm curious about this because higher voltages should be making that much more heat on 22nm circuitry vs 32nm circuitry.

One of the few multi-threaded tests Anandtech did. Notice how much more cores tramples over IVB.
    [​IMG]

Also keep in mind that turbo on the 3770k is 100mhz faster than the 2600k and 3820 and the clocks on the 3930k and 3960x are that much less with a little extra latency because of the extra cores and the larger ring bus for cache.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  21. jaredpace

jaredpace New Member

Thanks Received:
    She gets too hot! ARRGG I might want a 2700k unless I go water

22. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That would be far more relevant if those were common workloads. They aren't. It's half-half in the world of benchmarking, and far less in favor of multi-threaded in everyday use. Which is why the 3770k will always be the better buy for the vast majority. If you have a specific mission critical application that uses all those cores and if you've got a ton of money to blow all at once (and cumulatively in power consumption) then sure, that "kinda" workstation platform is for you. For everyone else it's a bad buy.

23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The 3820 costs a little less than the 2600k, I wouldn't call that a bad buy if you can find a good motherboard for the same price as a z77 or z68. (Key phrase is a good motherboard.)

Also, if you pay attention there are more multi-threaded apps than there were a couple years ago. The world isn't going to remain in the single-threaded world...

At stock speeds it doesn't break 50*c with a Zalman CPNS9900MAX and it still gives you room to populate 8 tall sticks of memory. All I'm saying is that SB-E is not the big bad wolf. :)