1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January 9 Launch Date for AMD Radeon HD 7900

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Dec 12, 2011.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Not that many people OC GPUs compared to CPUs at least. I OC my GPU only slightly

2. John Doe Guest

No, I'm not. However you are if you trust that site.

Their most recent rumor was Bulldozer. They claimed to have tested the chip, and put it in pace with a 980x. When in reality, most people knew it was going to blow. Then it did.

There's no accurate software monitoring or voltage adjustment on cheapo cards. And either way, I'd prefer to have solid Volterra's powering my card. For example, you can power your system with both a $100 or a $150 PSU. Both would do it well as long as they're under ATX specs. Though, I'd take the $150 one. :)

3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And you wouldn't need it either, unless you have extreme cooling at your disposal. That was my point. Most cheap UPI/OnSemi/CHIL controllers still give you 'some' voltage tuning headroom.

4. John Doe Guest

Well, I personally want to have it all in one. You don't get accurate software voltage sensors with those. Then again I'd like to make sure my card is powered cleanly and well. Not with some cheap regulators that can't suppress ripple as good.

5. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Besides, Volterra+CPL boards were, historically, always produced in limited quantities, so those cost-effective board designs that allow greater price flexibility step in just a couple of months later. Those high-grade boards were more of PR vehicles. Only the early adopters got the pie.

Looks like a 'posh' reference board with Volterra+CPL PWM at first glance, doesn't it?
    [​IMG]

Look closely:
    [​IMG]
    ^That's a common cost-effective VRM.

The Volterra+CPL design should look like this from the back of the PCB:
    [​IMG]

Again, my point is, the whole discussion about missing digital PWM on those Tahiti boards is moot. Very few actually end up getting those cards, AMD itself gives out cheapo PCBs once the launched products "settle down", as is the case with the example above. You'll find the same cheap PCB in use with many other AIBs.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  6. John Doe Guest

Yeah. Ripple is a part killer. People that ran their machines off old units that're on the higher side of it need good VRM. Good VRM = better ripple surpression. You either upgrade your PSU or VRM to reduce it, or else it might be an another point of failure. Both PSU and cards die from ripple.

7. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like the card pictured has more phases than the GTX 570 which I believe used a 4 phase design. Really though, I don't care as long as the performance is there out of the box. Has anyone measured the hole spacing for the cooler to see if it matches up with any previous cards?

8. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am looking forward to seeing how these perform. They are part of my current upgrade plan, but they can be taken off if we get anything resembling the other half of AMD's recent product launches. If these launch dates are true, this will give them almost a full year before Nvidia has anything to answer to it. Hopefully they can still pull off a decent GPU.

9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    W1zzard is currently viewing this thread and lol'ing at our speculations

10. John Doe Guest

lol I doubt it. Has the card even went to full production yet?

11. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    Ti=texas instruments

12. John Doe Guest

Ok, you said 4 phase. The amount of phases don't equal to the amount of power they deliver. Put five 50W phases against ten 25W phases. See? The thing here is, this design isn't as quality as the high current inductors MSI uses, let alone a Volterra. See the pics I compared to on the bottom of the 2nd page.

13. Dj-ElectriC

Dj-ElectriC

Thanks Received:
    1 - yes, probably. It doesnt take 1 night to produce thousands of graphics cards from nada
    2 - Since when reviewers need a shelf prodect, they get an ES
    3 - Yes, W1zz probably look at this thread with a trollface smile

14. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Is Volterra+CPL PWM made in Taiwan? If it is it could have been flooded like the Wd factory or they come from the northern part of Japan were the Nuclear plant has been leaking water out....either way... Like Erocker and Bta have said... If the performance is there
    yep you bet I will be getting one,When was the last card from ATI/AMD with memory bust over 256bit....2900xt 512bit with the robust fire bit right.348 bit is new for them And i hope they take both crowns from the Green camp.

15. John Doe Guest

And can you tell me how you know about that? There's zero info out there stating such thing. The card may as well not even be designed properly yet. It's not that easy to build a GPU in months time.

16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    his point is that it IS that easy to slap a gpu on a board and ES gpu are most deff tapped out

More than 25k PPD
  17. John Doe Guest

No, it's not. You're making it sound like as easy as cooking beef. You don't just "slap a GPU on a board". ES samples are fully functional GPU's, just like how ATi/AMD has been doing it before. I have an ES HD 2900 dated at March of 07. It's the same as any other 2900 technically. You have to design an entire GPU architecture, which we still aren't sure if they've done yet.

18. erocker

Thanks Received:
    What are those pictured cards then? .. if that's what you are meaning.

cadaveca says thanks.
  19. John Doe Guest

It's a half-cut picture. The core of the GPU looks some sort of toy. I'm not even sure the card in that single photo is finished yet.

20. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No offense, dude, but just because you are skeptical doesn't mean everyone else has to be as well.

21. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Analog vs digital pwm is 100% meaningless. All that matters is what the regulatory circuits are capable of, not how they get there.

22. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Meh, nothing means a thing until the company that produces these cards actually provide some information. Arguing about speculation, rumors, etc. has to be one of the biggest wastes of time I can think of. I'm just going to say these cards exist and I've seen enough proof to think this way.

23. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Sooo... Unveil means they will just remove the NDA or at least some of it, but doesn't mean the cards will actually be available on the market, correct?

Well accoring to him the VRM design on the GTX570 is rubbish, can't handle any overvolting(pure BS), and the same 4 phase design on the GTX470 was better and the GTX470 overclocked better too...

There is no use arguing with him, he acts like he knows what he is talking about, but in the end has no clue.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  24. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    and to get giddy with anticipation no less

vregs dont overly matter to 99% of their users so long as they work

More than 25k PPD
  25. John Doe Guest

Digital solutions (Volterra) are most the time superior to Analog, but this specific Analog design (used on non-ref Cayman GPU's) is nowhere as quality as a Volterra Digital PWM.