1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

January Giveaway for TPU Crunchers and Folders (Never Settle Bundle)

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by Norton, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    January 2013 Giveaway for TPU Crunchers and Folders

Win the Never Settle Bundle

I was given a mission from one of the veteran members of the TPU crunching and folding teams.

KieX has asked me to......

GIVEAWAY THE AMD NEVER SETTLE BUNDLE :eek:

THIS ONE:
    [​IMG]
    *MOH Warfighter is a 20% off coupon
    An awesome gift from an awesome Team member :rockout:-:rockout:-:respect:-:respect:

Terms and Conditions:
    - must be a TPU cruncher or folder
    - must be active at the time of the drawing*
    * i.e. listed as a member on the FreeDC stats list and turned in at least one point on the date of the drawing
    - entrants with a cruncher or folder badge automatically receive 2 entries
    - winners will be selected through the random.org system

How to enter:
    - Post in this thread and include one or both of the following statement(s)
    "I am a TPU Cruncher"

AND/OR

"I am a TPU Folder"

- You may also include an explanation of why you crunch or fold in your post if you like.... that is entirely up to you.

This giveaway will close at 8pm (Eastern time) on Friday January 25th so you can enjoy your new games this weekend.

The list is set- drawing to commence in 15 minutes (keep an eye on this post or the 1st post)

Stats:
    number of entrants- 18
    number of entries*- 33
    *remember- crunchers/folders earning and displaying their badges get 2 entries :)

Thanks again to KieX for donating such a great item! :toast:-:respect:-:respect:

AND THE WINNER IS:

mx500torid :toast:

Stand by for a PM with your redemption info :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    KieX, FordGT90Concept, okidna and 13 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher

F*ck Cancer.

I like how this looks to be the start of a monthly series. Excellent.

Please do not enter me for the drawing.

Mindweaver, stinger608, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Argh! I am a TPU Cruncherrr!
    I fold because i like the idea of my PC doing work for a change
    Good luck all, Thanks KieX and Norton ;)

Mindweaver and Norton say thanks.
  4. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU cruncher, and a TPU folder. I do it because I have a hardware purchasing addiction and I need to do something beneficial with all the crap I buy besides looking at it. Plus, getting points for something on the internet usually means internet ego boost. :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I am a long-time TPU Cruncher and former folder (I think it might have been under Hardware Analysis).

I crunch because it's an efficient use of spare clocks. Every clock that is idle is a wasted clock.

Edit: I don't think I ever folded for TPU. I discontinued F@H when I discovered Stanford was driven by results and not accuracy (the transition to GPUs). That disgusted me so I quit and never did again. Berkley seems to have a whole lot more integrity than Stanford in that they keep GPU work separate from CPUs. Berkley has also been slow to adapt GPUs to scientific workloads--as it should be.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU Cruncher... I do it for cancer research, tired of my family members getting it.
    Edit: I've also done over 17mil in folding. I live at 2/3rds the poverty level in Canada..
    and I really want to game online with fellow TPUers... I just can't afford the darn games.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Mindweaver and Norton say thanks.
  7. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU folder.

I work with breast cancer every day, and i just can't bear the fact there's sometimes women below 30 on our daily surgery schedule.

I would gladly do something else with my hands if this piece of s**t was once and for all beaten down. Until that day, i'll work to help diagnose it and fold to help research. Way better in my opinion to fold than to give money to any organisation.

Here in canada, for every 1$ donated to those pink ribbon people, only 20 cents really gets to research. Keep that in mind before donating your hard earned money...

[Ion], Mindweaver, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
  8. SirKeldon

SirKeldon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU Cruncher and also a TPU Folder.

Why am I contributing? First, cause I consider it as my little part of volunteering to the people, serving to the causes that help us to get improved, in all senses, with such a little effort to us from my point of view, just making hardware to sweat.

I could not do it just by myself, and neither none of us, since the one that gets 1 result per day till the one that's contributing with 1000000, all the work is important and meanful, from people to people. The way we are and behave in a network like this of "getting things solved" makes the better of distributed computing and takes the best part of us, the one that wants to help, which is the first and also the second reason to do it. Having the knowledge that you're actually helping someone is truly amazing, and it's better if you're surrounded by mates which are enjoying when doing the same as you.

That's why.

There are also personal reasons, as many of you, but it's not necessary to be specific, best thing is we all are people.

Really I don't mind about the giveaway, I just found great the initiative to share why are we doing this.

Keep up the good crunch and fold! :toast:

9. mx500torid

mx500torid

Thanks Received:
    I AM a TPU Folder!!! The reason I Fold is below.

[Ion], Mindweaver and Norton say thanks.
  10. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU Cruncher.

I crunch for the peace of mind knowing that my computer (and the one im building) is doing something useful. Im not personally affected (or anyone i know) by cancer or other life threatening illnesses , but am glad my PC is doing something to benefit research in those fields.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU Cruncher.

I crunch for a cure. I think everyone knows why I crunch, but for those who don't I've lost to many family members and friends to cancer.

[Ion], Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. ZakkWylde

ZakkWylde

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher

I crunch because my mother is a breast cancer survivor and I joined up when the help conquer cancer challenge/contest ran, I also thought it was really cool that it was based out of Ontario Canada (My home province). I don't crunch as much as I would like to but when I do I let er rip!

13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I am a cruncher and I really I mean really agree with dubs statement "F*ck Cancer"

I lost my mother to Thyroid Cancer in 94'

Also I have someone close to me that was diagnosed with Pancreatic and Liver Cancer last year. They told him about 3 weeks ago they can't do anymore chemo as it isn't working. They guy was around 210 in weight, now he might be 110 if he is lucky. They also told him he has at the most 4 months left to live. I hope they are wrong.

I have thought about cutting back on the crunching and go down to 1 rig and all that. He is the one that makes me want to crunch harder.

[Ion], Mindweaver, Daimus and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher! :toast: (wihoo, I get to enter :eek:)
    Honestly, I got into crunching during the HCC Contest late October, and it was mainly because there was a push to do so, in a good way. There is good peer pressure, and that's what got me crunching. Funnily, I always said I would slow down crunching after that initial contest, but it seems like the opposite happened.

Kept up full force ever since (other than this past weekend), because it really started to mean something great. You can't keep crunching unless you believe in what you're doing.

Thanks Norton & KieX, you know I'm a huge fan of giveaways, especially awesome ones with AAA titles :respect:

[Ion], NHKS, Mindweaver and 3 others say thanks.
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher and a TPU Folder (well, at least until last night--working on getting that fixed ASAP). I crunch and fold because I want to make the world a better place and solve the problems that face us.

EDIT: Now a TPU Cruncher and a TPU Folder once more!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    Mindweaver, Daimus and Norton say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher

I stared because my friend (who hasn't on the forum for a while...) told me about it and we had a little competition to see who could get the most points between the two of us. Let's just say I beat him really quickly :p I still crunch now because I leave a lot of my computers on a by accident so it might as well be doing something useful instead of sucking up power. It's also nice to know that I could have help find the cure to cancer or any of the other projects im working on.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher.

I believe that we can make the world a better place by using the computing capabilities of each of PC owners. I fundamentally believe that the people, united together, be able to do something that is not under the force a particular company or one state.
    I can not be the entrant for reasons known Norton, but I wholeheartedly wish good luck to the other participants!

Thanks KieX for awesome prizes and Norton for organizing this giveaways and daily work for the good of the team!

[Ion], NHKS, Mindweaver and 2 others say thanks.
  18. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher, and mainly for the same reason as Theonedub!!

Please DO NOT enter me for the drawing though.

My hopes and prayers that all Cruncher's world wide can somehow help in the cure for the awful disease of cancer! It takes many many thousands of lives every year world wide and makes people suffer so badly.

Crunch on my fellow TPU team mates and Cruncher's world wide!!!!

[Ion], Daimus, Norton and 1 other person say thanks.
  19. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I am a TPU Cruncher. Even thought I have struggled here lately with family emotions, I still keep PPD coming in under my name and to the great team of TPU! I cannot wait to see how good this team does in the new year!

[Ion], stinger608, SirKeldon and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the interest in the giveaway and the inspirational messages! :toast:

Other than crunching to help leave a better world for my younger sisters AND my niece (who is due in April) I will go with theonedub and stinger....

F**k Cancer!!!
    Reminder- entry for this giveaway requires active membership as a TPU cruncher and/or folder ;)

HINT- TPU forum members not on the crunching/folding Teams have until this Friday to join and produce reported results (on FreeDC) in order to be elligible to post here and enter.... so there's still time*
    * Any questions about joining can be posted on WCG or Folding Team threads or you can PM a current Team member.

SirKeldon, theonedub, [Ion] and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Norton, you're a great inspiration and a fine leader to the WCG team! :respect:

[Ion], NHKS, Daimus and 3 others say thanks.
  22. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'm a TPU Cruncher

FUCK CANCER (Dad,suvivor) DIABETES(Mom,surivor), ALZPHIMERS(Grandfather, he lived a long life) AND LUKEMIA (Uncle, surivivor, Dean Jones, friend, dead at 18). I don't need any more reasons DAMN IT!!!!

stinger608, [Ion], Norton and 2 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a CRUNCHER for TPU!

I started to crunch in honor and dedication to a person whom I miss every moment - my dear Mother.. sometimes I wish what happened last year was just a bad dream and not reality..

Thanks KieX and Norton, for the generous giveaway..
    not entering the giveaway.. always appreciated all you crunchers..

n3rdf1ght3r, Daimus, [Ion] and 3 others say thanks.
  24. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Reminder- the drawing is tomorrow night so get those entries in if you want a chance at some great games. ;)

Daimus, okidna, t_ski and 1 other person say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    I am TPU cruncher.

I started after one of my family member passed away because of breast cancer. She was so young (32) and passed away just one and a half year after she gave birth to her beautiful daughter. And she also left his 5 years old son.

It just so sad realizing the fact that my niece and nephew will grow up without her mother's love.

Hopefully my little contribution would help others who still fighting this disease everyday and anywhere in this world.

Thanks for Kiex for this amazing giveaway and for Norton for organizing this giveaway.

Oh, and also if allowed (I hope this won't be considered as a "giveaway-hijacking" :D), I still have 3 DOTA2 invitation to be gifted, if you're interested feel free to PM me. Thanks.

manofthem, [Ion] and Norton say thanks.