1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Japanese create a 25TB DVD Disc

Discussion in 'Storage' started by _JP_, Jun 1, 2010.

1. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Source here, here, here and here.

Pretty good, huh?

It seems blu-ray discs are going bye-bye anytime soon...

According to the scientists involved, no new additional hardware is needed as these DVDs will be fully compatible with all existing DVD readers (can't say anything about writers, though), file formats and media.

Just imagine cheap 25TB DVDs flying off the shelves...every possible data you can think off in one disk...

I can't wait!

Sony and Philips have to draw a plan B, or else they'll be off the market.

P.S.: I apologize to every Moderator if I didn't post this in the right section, but I didn't know where else to put it.
    :eek:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great…I can’t even seem to pull old files off semi scratched dvd-r’s. I can’t imagine the nightmare of even trying to back anything up/recover anything off a 25 TB semi scratched disc...
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can get a 12X burner to run at full speed, it can burn 25GB in about 11 minutes.
    That means this will take about 7.5 days to burn 25TB. DOH !

It's nice to see them continuing developing this media.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    They come with such news every few months. Some new amazing technoligy, though none ever hit the market.
  5. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    i have read this somewhere like 2 years ago. still no signs of going to the market. maybe they're still milking the BLu-ray, hell, blu-rays aren't even mature yet. Plus if 25 TB discs will be released, then HDDs would have to have something new too or it would kicked in its ass.
  6. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    True. It's sad to see that. Actually, big corporations buy the patents, promising the creator they'll develop it and bring it to market, but if it is too revolutionary (revolutionary being, that this technology could damage their current markets) they hold it off and it never sees the light of day again.

Yeah, some time ago I also heard some individual electronics companies making high capacity pen derives that reached 320GB...or something like that...and I swear that I've never heard nothing from it again...
  7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i recall hearing about 15GB CD-R's many years ago as well. just because its possible, doesnt mean its cheap or reliable enough for use.
  8. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Considering 256GB flash drives are readily available I'd say we've heard enough about that?
  9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Its pretty cool having 25TB's on a single disk, but seriously we don't need em now:toast:
  10. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    One problem: titianium is extremely expensive and that isn't about to change. This technology could be the way forward for high density backups (replacing tapes). For consumer products, not too likely.

Hell, it could already be in use in military applications (for governments that can afford the premium of titanium).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    Titanium is fairly expensive..however titanium oxide is cheap. The first source link points out titanium oxide is cheaper to manufacture than the germanium-antimony-tellurium used in current BlueRay discs.

However I think Optical media as whole is on it's way out. Plus this would never replace hard drives as the access time on optical readers is very slow and latency very high. Also no mention if this will be a R/W meaning you can write to it several times. So I assume it's a 1x use.
  12. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, Flash Drives, I was talking about Pen Drives...
    Hell, I don't know how long ago was it...but I guess a year...
    I remember that 32GB pen drives didn't exist then...that's why it astonished me.
  13. Pembo210

Pembo210 New Member

Thanks Received:

wow! good point.:roll:
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    pen drive and flash drive is the same thing.

[​IMG]

64GB is available retail just about everywhere, with limited edition 256GB around as well... no one wants em tho, on USB 2.0. its too slow at that size.
  15. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    he said back then, as in several years ago, try 6
  16. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    I really cant see this taking off
  17. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they're all a bunch of memory chips...I just tough because ones was made portable (the pens) and thus small sized and the others were for regular PC storage...as in hard drives, there was a difference.
    Yes, now 64GB is retailed everywhere, but not as much here...I see at best more 8GB pens than 16GB or bigger. I guess it's a marketing issue. Or the plain fact it isn't worth it.

Well, if it was that long ago a 256MB pen would still be expensive. No I don't think it was that long ago...
  18. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    I find all these optical mediums completely obsolete these days. They might be useful for maybe Playstation 4, but i haven't burned a DVD for ages. Let alone even less BluRay discs (none actually).
    They are just too slow to burn, to slow to read, they scratch faster before you can blink. And units to read/write them are still mad expensive. We really need USB like medium that can carry such capacities of data, has a very fast bus and that would be it. Durable, small, with lots of space, fast and practical.