1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Jetway Working on DDR2 and DDR3 Supportive ''Combo'' AM3 Motherboard

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 27, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    After AMD embraced the DDR3 memory standard, the eventuality always existed where motherboard vendors could release motherboards that supported both DDR2 and DDR3 memory standards, to support the complete spectrum of processors built for the AM2, AM2+ and AM3 sockets with appropriate memory modules installed. The Jetway MA3-79GDG COMBO will be one of the first in its kind.

Based on the AMD 790GX + SB750 chipset, the MA3-79GDG COMBO holds two DDR2 DIMM slots for DDR2-1066 MHz memory, and two slots to support DDR3-1066 MHz memory. Memory support is subject to the processor being used. The motherboard comes in the micro-ATX form-factor and goes ahead with providing support for the ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU standard apart from its Radeon HD 3300-class IGP. The rest of this motherboard consists of a standard feature-set, with single PCI and PCI-Express x1 slots, 8-channel audio with optical and co-axial SPDIF audio connectivity, IGP video output through DVI, HDMI and D-Sub connectors, gigabit Ethernet and eSATA. This motherboard will reach stores next month and hopes to cash-in on its biggest USP: upgrade-friendliness. Its price isn't known at this point.

[​IMG]

Source: TechConnect Magazine

Kei and kid41212003 say thanks.
  2. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know this is possible...

3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    While I don't hate any of those colors individually (yeah, I'd take a pink and black board ;)), the mix is just... yuck.

I'm glad I got all the problems worked out with my DFI LP JR 790GX board as this Jetway is only the second mATX 790GX board that I know of.

4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The memory controller is on the CPU's so I don't see why not.

5. Icewind31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I'm pretty satisfied w/ my LP JR 790GX as well, the layout and color scheme is nice (on the DFI), this might be a nice alternative however the SATA port layout keeps me away as any full length cards will block them (unlike the JR where it is angled)

6. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    as long as the boards not that yucky brown or sick colour ill pink purple orange

hmmn a white board i saw once looked uber

yeah the controllers are on the cpu, BOTH ddr2 and 3 so its possible

7. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    While the coloring server little functional purpose to us and is therefore only cosmetic, to the AVERAGE and below PC consumer, the coloring is perfect.

Instructions:

Stick the RAM in the pink slots, etc.

Put your graphics card in the yellow slot, etc.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but out there... in the "real world"... full of consumer hims and hers... that color coding saves a lot of tech support time.

8. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ha ya know, I was actually thinking about this yesterday when I was reading an article on the AM3 processors. When I read that the cpu had memory controllers for both DDR2 and DDR3 I kinda thought this would be possible. I think it would be a great way to go if you had an AM3 CPU and wanted to wait to get DDR3. Very good idea. I'm sure we will see allot more of this!

9. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice looking, colorful and highly functional board. I like it, doesn't even need UV paint mod :p

Oh and He'll be happy :)

10. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is cute and all, but you'll only get 2 memory slots no matter which way you cut it. IMO, they should have had 2 DDR2 slots, and 4 DDR3 slots. Hopefully they continue in this direction and make a full ATX board with 4 PCIe slots. Might be waiting for a new SB/NB set to come out from AMD. They're about due for one around March I think..

11. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    WOW that is good to hear finally some real innovation leave it to jet way to pave the way !!
    Now if they could just provide a CPU socket for Intel and one for AMD that would be well just out of this world !

12. DaJMasta

Thanks Received:
    They managed to cram the entire rainbow in there....

Interesting that the same socket supports both procs, and it will route the DDR type accordingly. Too bad they don't use the same module pinouts or you could have the same connections and slots and have only 4 that could run either type depending on the proc.

13. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    about time they did this. i was talking about this for a while now. great going Jetway.

Incidentally, there have been combo DDR2/DDR3 mobos on the Intel side for quite some time now, the ones based on P35, X38 and P45, i believe so it only makes sense that AMD gets some too since the CPU has an IMC supporting both types of RAM.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  14. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is true ASrock has been doing that for ages over on the intel side.
    This is alright seeing that its the only 790GX board that does this.

and that there are only 3 of them on the market, techinically 4 but the 3rd biostar mobo you can't get in the states.

15. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    It's already been done in the past. ECS did it, with some of their LGA-775 motherboards that could be converted to socket-939 using platform cards costing as less as $25.

16. adrianx New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice bord... but only for the ... middle performance :)

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt doubt if they have DDR3 boards ready for launch aswell, considering they have DDR2 down with the 790X-790GX.

18. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ugly colors! My wife could make something nicer than this.

19. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    no one is going to do crossfire because u will run out of sata ports. lol, why they didnt point them outwards :confused:

20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    why nothing really needs over 8GB which this mobo supports using 2x4GB sticks. most people are more than ok with 2x2GB i do high end 3D CAD with the PC in my specs and it doesn't even stutter

21. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think I will ever use more than 2 sticks. 4gb of RAM is more than enough..

22. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    YEah Intel has boards that does this MSI, ECS, etc. Not the best thing but hell its better than nothing. Personally I wouldnt use a Jetway though.

23. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's this crazy saying in the IT industry... something about 640k of memory... Cannot remember who was quoted, probably some guy who had no idea what he was talking about.:rolleyes:

Technology moves forward. It does not stand still. I see no reason why a normal motherboard would have 4 slots of memory, yet this one gives you two of each flavor. Consider it is supposed to be an upgrade path, the incentive should be on the future. After going from 2x1gb to 2x2gb+2x1gb to 4x2gb, I wouldn't want to go back. Keep in mind that DDR3 does not currently have 4GB single sticks on the market. When they do come, they'll have a premium tied onto em. It'll be more cost effective to have 4x2gb than 2x4gb,

24. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    seems old FX better quality

25. btarunr

Thanks Received:
    I feel the heatsink over the SB750 is too small. I run a 2-drive RAID 0 on my SB600 and it heats up pretty bad.