1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Job related. Sorry I could not find any other forum.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by itsakjt, Dec 14, 2012.

1. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, I live in India and am currently studying Computer Science Engineering. As you all know, there are broadly 2 fields-Hardware and software. I am good at Hardware but not at software. I cannot understand C programming as good as I understand pipeline and hardware architecture. So I am kinda worried with my future as in India there are only a few Hardware companies. Do anyone of you give me some light about any information you might know on how to overcome this difficulty? There are a lot of students like me who are on the same tension as me so I will be grateful if anyone of you can tell me something related to this. Thank you.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Whatever you study right now does not automatically translate to the fact that you will be working in that field for your career. There are a lot of transferable skills which you pick up during the course of your study, applicable in many other related fields. I am studying mathematics in university, but as you know there aren't many mathematics related jobs out there short of teaching or research. My advice is, in short, just get on with your life, study whatever interests you and then when the time comes as long as you did well you will be able to find work.

itsakjt and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  3. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Ok. Thanks a lot. :)

4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    You'd be surprised at how many software jobs require math skills, as well as technical and engineering careers.

As for the OP's post, CAD/CAM and machinists careers might be a good fit. it's a mix of software and hardware.

5. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Fourstaff has the answer. What actually matters is what you are gearing the programming towards. It is impossible to learn all of the libraries that you might be using.

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Almost all decent job require some amount of mathematics or another. Most engineers from my university find work in banking and finance instead of engineering, physicists going on to study law etc.

7. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you+((knowledge+goals)÷hard_work)=career

Fourstaff said it best, acquiring as many skills as possible will surely equate to a better career. :toast: Companies are looking for people with multiple skills to do the job or jobs. :toast:
    I can tell you now that the first skill I set out to attain in college is not what I primarily do today, but it is apart of my skill set that I do from time to time at work.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. - Benjamin Franklin

Crunching for Team TPU