• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Judge: IP-Address Doesn’t Identify a Movie Pirate

Was the judge right to deny the subpoena?

• Total voters
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That would mean the entire internet infrastructure is only composed of switches and no routers.

No, that just means you don't hide behind one IPv6 IP. You get a network of your own to play with, usually a /64 type.

He's actually right. I tried to explain this earlier, NAT is deprecated in IPv6. There is no concept in 90% of router firmwares out there for NAT, and those that have it are likely CISCO grade crap which no one in their right mind would buy for a home setup.

They did set up a range for NAT in the development phase which is considered "private addresses," but it's largely unused and it's use is actually discouraged.

Last edited:
System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
There has always been a way to play and not pay for people due to digital-deniability.
True, it just gets more expensive in many cases. For example these days in the US if you're not using a VPN while doing certain things, you're just begging to get DMCA notices - which is fine until someone decides to send you more than just a notice.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
No, that just means you don't hide behind one IPv6 IP. You get a network of your own to play with, usually a /64 type.

He's actually right. I tried to explain this earlier, NAT is deprecated in IPv6. There is no concept in 90% of router firmwares out there for NAT, and those that have it are likely CISCO grade crap which no one in their right mind would buy for a home setup.

They did set up a range for NAT in the development phase which is considered "private addresses," but it's largely unused and it's use is actually discouraged.

At the current rate of IPv6 adoption we will have to worry about it in 5-10 years, too much legacy hardware exists and is in use to make a full implementation, plus NAT offers some security to consumers.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
At the current rate of IPv6 adoption we will have to worry about it in 5-10 years, too much legacy hardware exists and is in use to make a full implementation, plus NAT offers some security to consumers.

Comcast has pushed out IPv6 all over the west coast. It's coming very quickly. And the actual published standards deprecate and discourage NAT use, not just firmware implementations. It's being said that the solution would be some kind of software firewall deployment or maybe a network bridge of sorts with a firewall built in.

It's already an issue for a large number of americans on the west coast thinking they don't need a software firewall because they are behind NAT. If they are a comcast user, their IPv6 IP is likely completely open and public.

Still, I agree that IPv4 will be with us for a VERY long time yet...

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
What about it?
The fact they will find "you" and prove that "you" did download that movie.
Hard to play fool when they show logs to judge.
Of course, there are various legal aspects, but...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The fact they will find "you" and prove that "you" did download that movie.
Hard to play fool when they show logs to judge.
Of course, there are various legal aspects, but...
As has been explained several times on this thread now by various people, no IP address can show the actual person who did the infringing download, no matter how accurate the logs are. Therefore they can't prove squat.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Another thing to consider is how much proof does a plaintiff have to produce in a civil case before the burden shifts to the defendant. For example, it's possible that logs associating a particular individual with a particular illegal download is enough to make a prima facie case against that person. If so, then the burden can shift to the defendant to show why the plaintiff's evidence is incorrect or to put forward an affirmative defense.

http://courts.uslegal.com/burden-of-proof/shifting-burden-of-proof/

Another example of a shifting burden is that in employment discrimination cases. Once the plaintiff has met his or her burden of proof by establishing a prima facie case, the burden of proof shifts to the defendant to show some non-discriminatory reason for its action. If the defendant essentially meets that burden of proof by presenting legitimate reasons for the alleged action, the burden again shifts back to the plaintiff to show that the proffered “legitimate” reasons were pretextual.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Another example of a shifting burden is that in employment discrimination cases. Once the plaintiff has met his or her burden of proof by establishing a prima facie case, the burden of proof shifts to the defendant to show some non-discriminatory reason for its action. If the defendant essentially meets that burden of proof by presenting legitimate reasons for the alleged action, the burden again shifts back to the plaintiff to show that the proffered “legitimate” reasons were presexual.
Sorry, I'd seen some hot babe on the internet and my mind was somewhere else. :p

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
For example, it's possible that logs associating a particular individual with a particular illegal download

Logs do not associate a particular individual with a particular illegal download.

Logs associate to a IP address

Sorry, I'd seen some hot babe on the internet and my mind was somewhere else. :p

link please or we don't believe you :) no pic tho don't want to be too distracted

Last edited:
System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Logs do not associate a particular individual with a particular illegal download.

Logs associate to a IP address
True, but that doesn't prevent the presumption from being made. For example, if your car is caught on camera going through a red light, you're presumed to be the driver and get the ticket. The burden then shifts to you to prove that you were not in fact the driver.

Among the points made by Eros were a) the denial of the right to confront and cross-examine adversarial witnesses, b) the presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle is guilty, regardless of who was actually driving, thereby destroying the presumption of innocence, c) an unverified chain of control of the alleged (photographic) evidence, and d) the lack of scientific reliability of the cameras to warrant unquestioned acceptance into evidence.
http://blog.motorists.org/four-winning-defenses/

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
True, but that doesn't prevent the presumption from being made. For example, if your car is caught on camera going through a red light, you're presumed to be the driver and get the ticket. The burden then shifts to you to prove that you were not in fact the driver.

presumption from being made. is not the same as proof
is heresy classed as Proof

As one Ex UK Minister did in a similer case until he F**ked himself by shagging outside his marriage

He got away with it till the pissed off wife grassed him up during the divorce

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
As has been explained several times on this thread now by various people, no IP address can show the actual person who did the infringing download, no matter how accurate the logs are. Therefore they can't prove squat.

In America...

The posted is in Latvia. I betcha judges there disagree.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
presumption from being made. is not the same as proof
is heresy classed as Proof

As one Ex UK Minister did in a similer case until he F**ked himself by shagging outside his marriage

He got away with it till the pissed off wife grassed him up during the divorce
You may not like how some presumptions work, but they're legally binding nonetheless. In the red light example, your initial intuition might be that they can never prove who was actually driving the car. Courts realize that so they created the presumption. You could have a similar situation here.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
In America...

The posted is in Latvia. I betcha judges there disagree.
Yeah, they might in a place like that - unless they can be bought off that is.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
They will still be behind a router, which means it still doesn't work like that.
Possibly not. If I recall, IPv6 was designed to eliminate the need for NAT-type routers. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but I suspect it will stop becoming the norm.
That would mean the entire internet infrastructure is only composed of switches and no routers. That is not the case and will never be the case. NAT is here to stay because it is impractical to connect a thousand devices to thousand discreet internet connections. Addtionaly, it makes more sense to have one great corporate firewall than a lousy firewall on a thousand devices. The structure of the internet today is the way it would have naturally evolved even if IPv6 existed before IPv4.

IPv6 is being pushed out to ISPs so there's more room for wireless devices. It will eventually proliferate through consumers but that won't eliminate NATs. Even then, it's irrelevant because even if every device had a globally static IP, it is still difficult to prove who was using the device at the time the alleged crime was committed.
In the case that a non-NAT firewall/switch is being used, the ISP's router would know the MAC associated with the IP. That MAC could be used to immediately identify the manufacturer of the device and, if physically searched, the exact device used.

In any case, I'm surprised the account holder isn't simply responsible for anything across the connection. I'm not suggesting that's how it should work (since I think that's completely ridiculous), but it's how I'd expect it to work.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Yeah, they might in a place like that - unless they can be bought off that is.
Oh... I guess there is no point in discussion with you. After all, i am from "place like that".

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Oh... I guess there is no point in discussion with you. After all, i am from "place like that".
I'm not criticising you, but it is a reflection of the corruption in a country. Sure, every country has corruption, but it's a lot worse in some others. Hence, if they're going to nail people on non-evidence, then that's pretty corrupt.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I too meant no offense by calling your country out. I just meant that the justice department there could use some work. I am by no means trying to call Latvia a bad country.