1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just a newb memory question.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Godsmak, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Godsmak New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I have 1gig of memory (2x512mb) Corsair, and I get another 1gig of memory (2x512mb) Crucial, as long as they have the same timings, same everything pretty much, is that a problem? Will there be any conflicts or performance loss mixing brands? Thanks for the help in advance guys :respect:

2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    generally its not a good idea to mix brands,but i dont think it would cause any major performace issues

3. p-jack New Member

Thanks Received:
    if they´re mixed brands it´s a bit more likely that they won´t run, but IF they run everything´s fine...

4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    does your motherboard support dual channel ?

5. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    It will depend on your memory, motherboard, and a few other things....but as far as i know trying it should not hurt anything...your system simply should not start if there is a problem..
    usually followed by beeping from your motherboard.....

you should run a benchmark first.....DO THIS BEFORE YOU ADD NEW RAM...then run a benchmark after you install the new RAM and make sure you didnt lose any performance...here is a link to sciencemark, this is a good bench to use or maybe someone else has something ez to run that checks memory better...

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/170

also in some cases i think i have read that timings may have to be close on both brands of RAM...but lets see if it boots the system first...

good luck:rockout:

6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    find your memory in the data base... http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/ ..check the timings & voltages for the SPD if they are the same it should work....if not set the timings and volts in the bios first then run some bench marks to check sys.. if performance suffers try moving the ram from slots 1&3 [corsair] to 2&4 [corsair] with the curcial in the other slots...good luck F:toast: