1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just a reassurance (Memory)

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kuroneko, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Kuroneko

Kuroneko

Thanks Received:
    Since I am pretty much finished with my build, I am still needing to upgrade my RAM and my HDD storage.

I currently have 3x2GB sticks in the computer (temporary) and I will be getting 2x8GB once I get my money next Friday. When I do get the 2x8s, would I be able to use the 2x8 GBs sticks with the 2x2 GB sticks to achieve 20 GBs of memory?

Is there any compatibility issues as the new RAM will be clocked slightly higher (1600 Mhz) compared to the older RAM (1333Mhz)

This will be helpful! Thanks!

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    with a decent motherboard you can normally find a middle ground that works for different spec ram
    but it's not advised. honestly aside from epeen 20gb is not going to do anything for you (unless your building a vm server or something) much more important is the speed and timings of the ram.

Still, try it and test results and see what's faster, and how much you actually use.

3. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    The faster RAM will default to the lower speed. May as well just save them for backup or another project. Or, sell them, for a few bucks, on E-Bay. Then save up for another set of 8GB's!! Although 16 is plenty, 32...Awesome!!

:D

Crunching for Team TPU