1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought 3 GTX480's...

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Dabode, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...and am wondering what to do about cooling. Currently have everything at stock clock speeds, and stock air cooling, but I've seen the temps on these guys climb up over 80 degrees already. Having them in tri-sli doesn't really give them much breathing room. I plan on going with liquid cooling, but other than my Corsair H50, I'm not very experienced with it. From the info I have gotten, I'm thinking about doing 3 separate loops (1 for each GPU) with a 120.3 rad on each. Is that overkill maybe? Also, if I do go with the three loops, am I going to need a separate pump for each loop, or can I get away with a single good, reliable pump, say something like:

-->RES-->PUMP-->GPU1-->RAD1-->GPU2-->RAD2-->GPU3-->RAD3-->RES

Also, any idea how dangerous it is to be running them with air cooling like they are now? I've been leaving the case cover off, and positioning a fan to blow directly on them for now. Is that a little risky? Here's a picture of my rig atm. It's not finished yet as I'm currently shopping for a new case.
    [​IMG]

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I doubt it's 'dangerous' to run them like that, there's a reason why there is foam on the PCB!

Leaving the side panel off w/ airflow directed at the cards won't do any harm at all, only lower temperatures so that's fine as well. I'm not a WC expert but I highly doubt you need 3 triple rads to cool 3 Fermis. A single triple rad could probably cool all 3 of them down better then the stock cooling solution.

Dabode says thanks.
  3. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suppose I should also mention that I plan on dabbling in over-clocking on these as well, so I'll be seeing temperatures greater than stock too. I probably won't be going too extreme, but I am going to want to push it a little, and want to make sure I've got my bases covered because I've heard that the Fermi's can get quite hot.

4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Looks toasty. I wouldn't feel comfortable running them like that. I doubt you need 3 radiators though... try running a loop with one 120.3 first.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If you want to be on the safe side, grab another dual rad. I mean, if you were going to get 3 triple rads you might as well get a Mora 2 Pro.

[​IMG]

6. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

Yes if you were to use LCS then separate loops would be the most effective, however why do you NEED to go on water? Are you going to try to increase the card voltage?

Or is it just a placebo effect and you 'feel' more comfortable if they run a bit cooler?

Here's some advice though; don't wait until you get a few high-end GPUs to then start thinking about liquid cooling. You need to get some junk components together and build/test/practice/learn on that. True, it's not rocket science to setup a LCS system but the stock heatsink/fan on the GTX will hold up, so take your time, do it right - there's more to installing LCS than just ..well..installing it. Design and planning is key, especially in a future-proof aspect. I cannot tell you how many computers I've seen with horrendously laid out LCS systems, where just getting one component out is a nightmare, let alone trying to install new components.

Lastly, I'm going to have to shame you for the third GTX. Don't take this the wrong way, but anyone who's been watching these cards, is aware of how super they are in a dual configuration, yet tri-SLI doesn't scale to the same extent. Furthermore, with synthetic benchmarking aside, there isn't any real world program that will need three 480s. You'd have done yourself a favor and put that money towards LCS components.

Maybe I'm just assuming too quickly that you aren't going for any folding, or number crunching, yet if I'm wrong, and you are, then things don't stack up. You can't overvolt and tweak without heat consideration, and you cannot approach heating methods until you know what you're doing. So again, waiting to slap in high-end components before you actually understand things, is very irresponsible.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  7. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not related to cooling but what board is that? It looks like a Crosshair/Striker 2 Formula. GTX 480 Tri-SLI will most likely be bottlenecked on that platform, FYI.

8. random

random

Thanks Received:
    May I suggest Corsair Obsidian 800D? :D

Dabode says thanks.
  9. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Seeing this statement from a dude running Tri 480s is hilarious. :roll:

Give em all their own triple! :laugh:

digibucc says thanks.
  10. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    you'd only need a 140.3 to cool those video cards. A mora 2 can cool 2x GTX 295s, chipset, and an OCed i7 920. All could be overclocked too.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    What CPU are you running here?

[​IMG] From the looks of the H50 mounting bracket, its an AM2/3

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats a trip to vegas in a box

nice

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks good to me......However I can hear your PSU screaming from my back porch.

sneekypeet says thanks.
  14. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking, without a 965BE oced to like 4ghz, wouldn't it bottle neck?

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm goona say yes.

16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    3 separate loops isn't necessary. The GF100's do very well with watercooling. At most I would suggest a 120.3 for all three cards.

If you want everything watercooled then dual 120.3's or 140.3's would do the job very well.

17. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I agree no a 965 at 4.0ghz wouldn't bottle neck those cards. Any cpu clocked 3.8ghz or higher won't bottle neck those cards as long as it's a x2 or higher. For gaming once past 3.0ghz it's more about gpu. Sure some cpus may give them a slight frame increase at lower resolutions but and newer cpu will create well over playable frame rates.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly other than folding there is no game that will use three of these beasts.

19. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Sure there is, with the latest beta drivers you can run 64 and 96x AA or set Physx to the third card.

20. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    im thinking of 560 rad
    it will be enough to cool down those power hog room heater.
    and a BIG pump wont hurt too.

21. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the cost of components isn't that much of a concern to me, and I know that adding the third GPU isn't really going to add all that much to the performance of the system. I just did it because I could.

I may do some folding, but that's not my priority. Again, cost isn't all that big of a deal to me. If I fry something, well... lesson learned. That's why I'm here asking questions, to get info ahead of time, so I'm less likely to screw something up. I'm not going to buy a bunch of cheaper components to "practice" with first. Maybe that is a little irresponsible, but it's just my way.

The motherboard IS an Asus Crosshair II Formula, and the CPU is the AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition . Power supply is an Enermax Galaxy 1250w and has been totally fine so far. The CPU/Motherboard are going to be upgraded in the very near future as well, but I'm still on the fence about what to get. Can't decide between the new AMD 6-core and a crosshair IV mobo, or something like a P55 Intel board with an i7. I've always been an Nvidia/AMD fanboi, but I think Intel has the upper hand right now.

I would love to stick to a single/dual rad if possible, but my concern is that if I run all three GPU's in the same loop, won't I just be dragging the dissipated heat from the first card into the second, and then from the first+second into the third? Granted the first GPU is probably going to need the most cooling anyway, but how effectively will I be cooling the third card?

22. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The mailman brought it up and I saw no reply, what PSU are you planning to blow up overclocking those cards?

23. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    You sir, are my f'n hero!:toast: Exactly what I've been looking for!! I can't believe I've continually passed up this case on newegg.:rockout:

24. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    you can put two rads in the ATCS 840 360/240 NO MOD WHATSOEVER

25. Dabode New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^:)