1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought new case, got new problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Actinic, May 10, 2011.

1. Actinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just purchased an Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 case today and have had a hell of a time getting everything in order to run my computer again.

I've never really built a computer before, the most experience I have is upgrading my GPU.

I booted my computer after getting everything hooked up and it loaded into Windows just fine until I went ahead and plugged my Mic and Headphones into the front I/O jacks. As soon as I did that the computer rebooted into a loop. I immediately shut the computer off, unplugged the headset and tried to start the computer again without success. The computer boots up and power is sustained, but I don't get any further than that. There is no signal, it seems, to my monitor from my video card (Nvidia GTX285) as nothing comes up on the monitor so I can't even tell if windows is loading.

Does anyone have some insight into how I can fix this or what happened? Is my computer now fried and unusable? It booted properly before I connected my headset.

Here's my hardware:
    intel DQ965GF
    Corsair hx650w PSU
    Nvidia GTX285
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Just start over. Pull everything and hook it up outside the case. Keep any USB devices out during the troubleshooting time and then slowly return them.

Looping boots could be hdd trouble, could be a bad BIOS setting, could be power related(but not likely).

Can you boot into the BIOS with everything hookedup?
  3. warup89

Thanks Received:
    Welcome friend, This is the start into getting to know your PC better.

The very first step you you should take at this point, is to take everything outside of the case and booted it up. this should clear any grounding problem.

Second, use start ruling out hardware by using only installing the bare BARE essentials required to start you PC:

-Use x1 stick of RAM
    -x1 HDD
    -x1 fan [for the CPU heatsink]
    -Video card
    -Power supply [of course..]
    -Motherboard [of course..]

-if this works, then start adding the extra hardware, one by one and check if your PC boots every time you add a piece of hardware.

Assuming that all of this is connected and out of the case, start it and see if the problem keeps happening. If it does RESET the BIOS by taking out the little watch looking battery on the motherboard for 1min and then put it back [this is a guaranteed way to reset it]

-If the problem stops put everything back into the case SLOWLY and its wise to have a very good light source while doing this. If the problem persists, come back to us and well give you more directions.

PS
    good luck bud :)
  4. Actinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    So far I have the optical drive hooked up, it works. The tray pops out and in when I push the button. All the fans are working. My HDD is spinning and reading.

The reset button doesn't seem to do anything, so I've left it unplugged.

The on-board GPU isn't sending a signal to my monitor, I have not yet tried my nvidia card.

I also haven't tried hooking up the HD Audio pins as I'm assuming that is what the original problem arose from, when I plugged my headset into the front jacks and my computer shut down.

The computer isn't looping, power is being sustained.

The last video card I had blew, and my on-board GPU worked just fine.

Any suggestions as to why I can't get it to work now? No, the nvidia card is not in the slot at all so it's not being overridden.
  5. Actinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    OKay so I tried plugging in my nvidia card and it doesn't seem to be working at all either. My best guess is that something on my motherboard that handles video is fried as neither my card nor on-board are functioning.
  6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Is there more than 1 PCIe x16 slot you can try the video card in perhaps? If so and it works, you have a bad PCIe slot.

Do you have a spare video card you can try by chance?
  7. bokou

bokou New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you hear any beeps or is it just coming on and not making a peep?
  8. Actinic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do have a spare video card that I'm going to try. Right now I have a friend looking at how I set it up to see where something may have gone wrong. I'll try the other video card when I get my computer back.

@bokou: My computer has never made any beeps when I turn it on, I don't think I have a speaker on my motherboard for that. Just some LEDs. Not helpful at all, I know.
  9. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    not every motherboard comes with the speaker onboard. you have to plug in the speaker included in the case. it seems antec doesn't include one, neither has my antec 300. i just ordered one from ebay.

about the power problem. i think something (probably the motherboard) is short circuiting with the case.

take a look at this troubleshooting guide. maybe it will help u.
    http://goo.gl/DNLMk
  10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    did you take everything out of the case and try yet? it sounds like it might be a grounding issue or a short.
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Fill out your specs in your profile.

Your short happened when your plugged in your headphones in the front pannel? Sounds like you pluged the front sound plug into your USB header. Short on the MB...May be toast