1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just built my computer but having problems ....

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Quack, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so i just built my computer here are the specs:
    XFX 780i motherboard
    EVGA GTX 260 video card
    4 GBs of OCZ reaper ram
    PowerXstream from OCZ 1000 watt power supply
    seagate barracuda 500gb hdd
    old dvd drive + burner from my old computer
    cooler master stacker (with 4 fans)

ok so the problem im getting is that when i run a game (ive tried call of duty 5 and left 4 dead for now) the computer will just completely shutdown after a few seconds. For call of duty right when it finishes the first cutscene computer shuts down and for left 4 dead i get to play a few seconds. Before the computer shuts down the red light on top of where the CPU is connected flashes and then just stays on red till it turns off. The motherboard display (manual says its for boot) only says FF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

. If it can be of any help i got the motherboard second hand the guy told me it was new but it seems to be missing a fan since in the picture there seems to be a fan over the heatsink
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

What cpu do you have and have you installed the HSF correctly could well be overheating, check your cpu/gpu temps with cpuz and gpuz respectively
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    sounds like you messed up the CPU heatsink somehow.

Please run windows, and fire up a program called realtemp - post a screenshot of the program, lets see what it says

a program called TPU capture may help, it has an automatic upload to here - hit alt-printscreen with realtemp selected, and tick the upload box in TPUcapture when it pops up. copy paste the link to your reply box, and thats it.
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it goes through the codes and ends up on FF then all is OK - Fully functional

If the mobo goes straight to FF then try the following;
    check 8 pin power connector to ensure itis seated fully.
    The bios chip can get "loose" in the socket try to push down on bios chip to make sure it is seated properly. Bios chips may "come loose" during shipping.
    Reset BIOS (Follow instructions in Mobo Manual - use the "remove battery methode")
    Check CPU to ensure it is properly inserted into CPU socket and heatsink is mounted properly.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
  6. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    it goes trough the codes and ends up on FF
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    may need to set voltage for his RAM in bios also, my EVGA 750i FTW board likes to default the ram voltage to 1.8
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Doh, schoolboy error :slap: I meant realtemp not Cpu-z :rolleyes:
  9. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, there is a chance mobo is bad. Could also be bad psu (or power issue).

check error logs

Could be;
    VGA drivers - clean out reinstall.
    GPU is overheating- clean cooler/replace with better cooler/lower oc.
    HDD old/going out? - run a read/write test.
    Ram issue - (allready mentioned in post #7)

Did you Flash BIOS with newest version?
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you missed a g on the end of that link.

58C at idle is too hot. You definately screwed up the heatsink install - turn the PC off, remove it, and try again. Make sure all four push pins are in properly.
  11. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok well now the computer shut off and isnt turning back on at all.
    the blue light on the mother board is on but could the power supply still be problematic ? i checked the wires from the case and they are all well connected ... could the case be broken ? Or is the processor maybe fried :cry: ?
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    when they overheat they shut off, and may take a few minutes before they'll turn on again.

Take the time, pull it apart and only put the bare basics back in. You can check the temps in the BIOS, so dont even bother plugging a hard drive back in.

Generally, PC hardware is durable. Its rather unlikely you've fried anything.
    Quack says thanks.
  13. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so i unplugged everything exept CPU , ram and video card . i turn it on the mother board orange light comes on , the CPU fan does like one spin and then nothing . Any more ideas ? Thanks
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    situations like that are a failure to POST - power on self test.

Things neccesary for POST:

Motherboard with ALL power connectors present (main 24 pin, 4/8 pin CPU power)
    CPU (with heatsink, its possible for them to overheat real fast if somethings wrong there)
    ram: one stick, slot closest to CPU. swap with another stick, same slot of still trouble.
    Video card: make sure its 100% in the slot, has any power cables in the back of it, and that your monitor is properly secured to the right output. (its common for people to connect to onboard video by mistake, even i do it)
  15. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    that screenshot looks like thats the temp on idle, if thats the case, definaltely a hsf problem
  16. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Dont forget to plug in your keyboard also.
    I think it is definatly a overheating problem.
    Thats why that light over your CPU is red.
    Unplug the PSU and take the heatsink off and check to see if your thermal paste made good contact with the CPU.
    Also check to see if the CPU is seated properly.
  17. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah tried only the basics not working , when i power on the computer , the CPU fan turns once and the red light blinks (over where cpu fan is pluged) and then nothing . My friend helped me install the CPU first time and he is positive he put it on right the first time so its probably just a faulty product ? Hope it doesnt take long for them to send me a new chip
  18. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep done all that
  19. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    cpu's can only go in one way. heatsinks on the other hand, particularly intels push pin design are pretty easy to screw up.

I'd get your friend to come over, take the chip out and inspect it. its possible some dust or thermale paste is either in the socket, or covering the pads on the bottom of the CPU. He can also double check for something you may have missed.

Since it powered on and worked for a while, odds are the system is fine - it definitely wasn't dead on arrival.
  20. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Try resetting your CMOS.
    Unplug PSU....Take out the battery....Press power button a few times to disapate all curent..
    Wait 5 minutes....Then set back up.
    Make sure everthing is in correctly before you power up.
  21. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

its overheating plain and simple, you need to install the hsf AGAIN no cpu should idle at 58c, thats why it shut off when it got a little bit loaded because im guessing from your idle that its going to reach 80-90c load easy.

You have many people telling you its overheating so you need to reinstall the hsf again doesn't matter if your friend says its ok, 58c idle isnt ok.
  22. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have reinstalled it , but the computer doesnt power on anymore so dindt get a chance to try playing games with that (it turned off by itself when i was on windows)
    and i tried "I'd get your friend to come over, take the chip out and inspect it. its possible some dust or thermale paste is either in the socket, or covering the pads on the bottom of the CPU. He can also double check for something you may have missed." to do all that to the best of my ability .
  23. Quack New Member

Thanks Received:
    done , still doesnt power up , the mother board displays FF for a second , red light on top of CPU fan connection blinsk , CPU fan turns once and thats it orange light turns on and stays on.
  24. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well that light either means its overheating really fast, or you forgot to plug in the aux power connector for it.
  25. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Good point Mussels.
    Did you plug the 8 pin power connector in. Its at the top left of your mother board.
    Also do you have the heatsinkfan pluged into the right connector.
    Should say cpu fan by the connector.