1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just Formatted HD - Should I Run ChkDsk

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jed, Dec 7, 2012.

1. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, just a quick question.

I am rebuilding system and my secondary boot drive (D) is a 1 TB HD. I just fully formatted it last night. I have heard this checks for bad sectors. Should I still run a Check Disk on it or has the full format taken care of all of the checking?

Thanks!
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Run HDTune error scan
    Or use the WD Diagnostics Tool.
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A full format is sufficient. If you are really concerned you could run chkdsk after install to verify the file system stuff.
    I usually don't on a clean install.
    I do usually defrag once all the apps and stuff are loaded though. Just habit I guess. :)
    jed says thanks.
  4. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'll run ChkDsk after I install the OS. I was getting some unknown BSOD's a long time ago with it, when it was my primary boot drive, so I would just like to make sure there's no dead sectors. And if so make sure they are isolated. If a full format did check for it I'm not too concerned.
  5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Full format effectively performs chkdsk as well. There's no reason to run chkdsk after a full format. Quick format, yes. On NTFS, there's really no reason to run chkdsk unless there's problems with file integrity. NTFS keeps track of it automatically.
    jed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Excellent, thanks for the clarification. Just out of curiosity (my first time formatting a HD), should a warning window pop up after the format if it found anything bad? Or do I need to manually check it in the manager somewhere? It reads as "Healthy, Active, 100% free"
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    No, full format/chkdsk mark off sectors of the hard drive that are bad (won't read and/or write) so the drive simply doesn't use them.

The best way to determine the health of a drive is to look at the S.M.A.R.T. data (I believe "healthy" reflects that).

If you are seriously concerned that the drive is dead/failing, you should download the tool suite from the manufacturer (e.g. SeaTools for Seagate drives) and run the battery of tests it has. Those tools are the final-authority on the hardware integrity of a drive. If they determine the drive is bad, it will give you a code to relay to the manufacturer to open up an RMA.
    jed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Great info, thanks a lot! I'm not too concerned really, but I may run those just to double check since it'll be my only HDD - no backup.