1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just got a MSI GT60 0ne w/ GTX680m - gaming notebook

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TheGoat Eater, Jan 29, 2013.

1. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I just got the GT60 0ne w/ GTX 680m and I am really in awe of it. I have had only mid entry level notebooks int the past and they haven't been anything great. This one has good build quality, feels nice and solid during use, and is suited nice for gaming. The Steelseries keyboard built into it feels great, much more of a solid feel when typing and gaming. Not to mention that the customization ability of the led back-lights give it a nice fun feel. The audio is actually good, as I am usually a headphone person I am finding myself gaming with Spotify cranked up through the onboard speakers. The screen is 1920x1080 and @ 15" it is very sharp and looks great, even when text is small it is crisp and clean. I Have enjoyed my time gaming with it over the weekend. I played WoW for a few hours and loved that I could tune the settings to look great with good framerates. I love the screen for gaming, though I found that I had to increase text size in WoW to actually read it easily as it was nice and readable but insanely small lol. I will be trying more games over the coming days and will be running a few benchmarks to see how it fares. Does anyone else have one - or used one? Interested in what you think and if there are recommendations for gaming on laptops? Like good packable headsets, good small gaming mice, and the like.

Its a good mobile work machine for work (insurance) lol

2. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Very nice. I have been thinking more and more about just getting a real nice gaming laptop and being done with the whole upgrade thing for a few years.

My reasoning is that I have a huge back catalogue of games that I have yet to play. A very modern, high powered gaming laptop would allow me to play all of these at max settings and keep me occupied for a very long time.

Add to that the portability factor (I work in night security so have hours to kill sometimes) and it starts to make major sense.

If I do get one, I'm gonna make sure I have very good warranty and a replacement plan in place due to any hardware failure.

Could you take some pics or maybe a video showing performance in some of the more demanding titles of today. Also, what processor is in that particular laptop?

3. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I will take some pics soon - I wasn't up to doing much as I am sick and was feeling miserable last night. I will take some video of the keyboard too :)

...PACMAN... says thanks.
  4. ...PACMAN...

...PACMAN...

Thanks Received:
    Excellent, glad you're feeling better and I'm looking forward to the pics/video.

5. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I am feeling fractionally better lol, but didn't want to miss work since the month is wrapping up and I can walk, talk, and do the work lol. But better non the less - I will take that little bit and be happy :)

6. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Nice can't wait to see pics of this thing. I have always wanted a gaming notebook but honestly I would probably never use it.

7. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    That's one good looking laptop! It has one of the best lighting system I've ever seen.

8. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    Any benchmarks you want me to run? I plan to take some video of the keyboard led lighting as some of the things you can do are just plain fun lol

9. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    here are some pics I just took :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]a
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Gorgeous laptop, would have loved to get one of these babies if I could have afforded it.

11. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, yeah it is definitely proving its worth to me now that I can be entertained while doing things like laundry or other stuff away from home. It will be nice to play games over my lunch at the office lol :) Even if you look at the lower spec GPU models this is a good choice. it is very sturdy and is holding up to my nit picky areas. The power connector port is solid and has no play, and the keyboard is one of my favorite things on it. I love the feel when typing and gaming and I am getting used to it more and more so my words per minute is increasing :).

12. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking about getting a new USB storage drive, any suggestions for something that will travel well with this. I am more concerned about quality over insane speed, fast is good I have a few extra seconds to spare.

13. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I like how most of the ports are on the back. Nice laptop.

14. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I love the power cord plugging into the back, I am much less likely to break when it doesn't stick out the side. :)

15. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Does the "Turbo" function work on yours? Mine never did.

16. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't seem to, but it may be due to some things I had changed around... Not too sure

What one did you have?

17. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    Found a $100 rebate form for those looking at GT60 0ne w/ GTX 680m and some of the GT70 models for the US
    covers from Feb 1 - Feb 28th
    UPCs in the PDF
    products:
    GT60 0NE-249US
    GT60 0NE-403US
    GT70 0NC-008US
    GT70 0NC-012US
    GT70 0ND-204US
    GT70 0ND-491US
    GT70 0NE-446US
    GT70 0NE-452US
    The PDF for the rebate < my google docs

18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's a good lookin laptop, My only laptop ive had was a Dell Inspiron 9200 with a ATI 9700 Pro still have it, and it's used almost everyday.
    how is it with a 15" screen ive only had 17" and don't mind the bigness.
    Also you should take a picture with the room lights off and just have the laptop keyboard lights on I would like to see that.

Did you buy local in WDM or from online?

19. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    The screen is great, its nice and very crisp. I have my text at 100% so its small but sharp and seemingly more pleasing to my eyes that way.

Here is a crappy video i did of the keyboard with my SGS3 - ClicK

I got it from Newegg - cLicK

Hows the snow lol - I took off work early at 3:30 and I was way too far off my estimate of what would fall by 7:30... Should have stayed and made some more money lol

20. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Very cool I like that keyboard a lot! it's sad my Dell sot me $2,000 back in like 2004...

It's snowing pretty good here i would say we are at around 4"+ I have already been out and shoveled a little. my drive is a quarter mile long :(

21. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    your out by cumming? for those who want a shirt - click

22. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Lol didn't realize that little town had a site, but yeah I'm about 10miles west from there.

23. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Mine was a GT70 ONC-494 with the 670M...very slick but never did perform as I expected. Also the graphic's overclocking application never worked for it either. I was bummed, but returned it and just added a ssd to my Qosmio. :ohwell:

[​IMG]

24. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    That is a bummer - though I hate how Kepler works for OC and setting something at value x doesn't mean that it is ever going to run at that.

25. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received: