1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

just got fios, and got problems

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by mab1376, Mar 28, 2008.

1. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    whenever i try and play any counter strike:source server is says the latency is all of a sudden over 1000ms and will not connect even though in the main results pages it said 50ms or less. also when refreshing servers its goes very slow and brings few results.

what can i do??
  2. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    not sure, i had fios for a while and at times had some crazy latency issues
  3. Ehstii New Member

Thanks Received:
    stick with comcast, time warner, optimum, or whatever cable provided ISP is in your area.

you'll never have a problem, and on top of that, you'll have the fastest speeds available.:toast:
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Not in my area. Fios pwns Comcast.

But as to the latency issues, my sister has Fios, and doesn't have any probs, so I don't know what the prob could be.

Maybe there's something about it over at Broadband Reports? Go there and see what you can dig up. http://www.dslreports.com/
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    asking the obvious, you arent downloading or uploading anything in the background, nor is anyone on your network? are you on wireless or wired?
  6. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Verizon FIOS customer service/support is top notch (My experience and Consumer Reports reader survey confirms). I would suggest giving them a call. My brother has FIOS in Florida and it works great, well except the garbage ActionTec router that they provide (There is firmware bug that allows internet connectivity OR WPA but NOT both!).
  7. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    yeah the router does seem like a POS although it does give you ALOT of configuration options.

and the download speeds are phenomenal. i downloaded an Ubuntu ISO in 3 minutes :cool:

also i noticed some random DNS problems but it was probably because i was playing with the router settings and since it does a full reboot on every change it might have been waiting for DHCP on the WAN.

i think the main problem might be with the QoS engine built into the router i don't think there is a way to full disable it but i might be able to delete the entries to make it basically off.

-update-

i just removed all the DSCP settings for the QoS engine and I'm going to test not I'll post back in a bit.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. mab1376

mab1376

Thanks Received:
    yep that was it, games connect on first or second try now. d/l speed its 2.3x faster than optimum and no sharing of bandwidth with neighbors!! :nutkick: