1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just upgraded my video cards... Do you think it was a good Decision???

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by 20mmrain, Apr 13, 2011.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Just upgraded my video cards... Do you think it was a good Decision???

I upgraded from two HD6950 1gb to two EVGA GTX 580's. I got them for a price of $460 a piece brand new. "Of course I will be selling my XFX HD6950's" But I want to know.... after all is said and done do you think I made a good decision? I think so....bust still

Just want to hear what you guys think.... and yes performance wise there is a huge difference.

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    IMHO, you better be getting another couple of monitors or going with a 30" to use all that power! Honestly, I look at the bang for the buck gaming situation, hence the single old hd5870...so I feel that your cfx 6950 was probably more than enough if not fringing on overkill...at least for 1920x1080. I guess if you feel justified and your e-peen gained enough to make you and or digital lady smile, then who cares?

I'd love to have just one GTX580, but I can't justify the price yet and my HD5870 is still at stock speeds, so it's got room to go. The rest of your build is pretty badass, so I suppose a couple 580's fits it fine...do you bench? game? Honestly, i would've stuck with the 6950's and maybe have just purchased one in the first place. You should be set for quite a while imho! Again, nice build!

:toast:

20mmrain says thanks.
  3. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    you will certainly see ample FPS on 1920x1080 for many a yr but would recommend sell your current screen and get 1x 30" 2560x1600 to go with your precious

but 1st...

get those mofo's benched :D

i kinda regret getting a 28" 1920x1200 last yr, but hey ho.

20mmrain says thanks.
  4. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanx for the response but its not an issue if to get them or not.... it's I already have the GTX 580's. So no 30 inch monitor in my future right now.... but thanks for the response bud

Oh it's coming my friend in the process of re imaging my PC right now to get rid of all the ATI vs Nvidia Driver bugs... as soon as that is done tomorrow or the next day you will see some major benches from me bro.

5. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree with what others have said. I am saving right now to buy a 30" monitor to take advantage of the 580's, but its also nice to max out games with all the eye candy at 1920x1080 and have amazing frame rates. They also overclock fairly well but they do suck some juice when loaded:)
    You will like them:toast:

20mmrain says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    right now I am using a Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000 Watts.... From what I read that should be more then enough for two.... Do you agree? Ohh yeah 80 amp rail on it too...just for the info.

But yes again thanks.... I think your right that I will love these cards!!!

7. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    I also wonder why in hell you need SLI and high end cards with such a smaaaaal screen.
    I have a 32" LCD and a GTX470 and max out every game.

You know, since years image "quality" or "features" is practically the same on all cards, only speed / playable resolution changes... I remember the days when going from a TNT to a Geforce meant something big, not to mention voodoo cards...

8. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:
    not worth it, if you game at full hd.. you could have waited a few months, like get 28nm cards with BF3 release and all..

neywas, hope ur card doesn't go french fry (GTX580)

9. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    fps ftw /end

10. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I can almost feel your epeen from here :roll:

Honestly, unless you are planing to break your bank and buy those 2560x1600 IPS monitors, GTX580 CF is a bit overkill. $460 is quite a reasonable price for each though.

11. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I feel the exact same as Kursah. My 5870 @ stock speeds on my 1920*1200 24" monitor has no problems running games and I can't justify a upgrade in that department. I'm willing to bet your crossfired 6950's had more power than you used, let alone a pair of GTX580 cards.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think you done good there, 20mm. :D

I've recently got my GTX 580 and it's awesome. You have a very powerful CPU to pair them up with, so you'll see their full performance.

In my book, you can't have too much processing power, even if you game at "only" 1920x1080". This resolution is not especially low and frame drops can always happen on a modern game, console port or not, especially something DX11 like Metro 2033.

Maxing out your rendering power (CPU+GPU) helps to ensure you'll never see a judder. :toast: But then your virus scanner gets going in the middle of a game... :laugh:

13. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I got about half people saying good and the others saying bad idea. I appreciate the responses guys. It wasn't so much that I needed the extra power. Yes two HD6950's were more than enough for my resolution. But I do appreciate the honest responses. I agree with some and say that it is excessive. But I do think I will also be happy with them too.

Thanks again guys.

Same game I was thinking of.... I know it sounds stupid but I can not stand turning down the settings on any game. While I didn't only do it for Metro 2033... I thought in the future games like Metro 2033 will become of a normal than not normal.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  14. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    If nothing else, at least you are future-proofing a bit (for however much you can do so in the PC environment ;))

15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean it was a bad idea, but more like a unnecassary upgrade. Personally, I'd love to have a pair of GTX580 cards, not that I need them.

If I did have them, I'd have such a large E-boner, you'd see the Nvidia flag on it from Wisconsin. Wait a sec *looks towards the direction of Wisconsin*, is that a flag pole I see off to the northwest?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. random

random

Thanks Received:
    In all honesty its up to you whether you made the right decision, I personally felt that 2x 6950's were too much power for today's console ports so I've moved back to single card but then again I only game.

Although if I were in your shoes/budget... since I've bought watercooling, a kick ass monitor, an awesome CPU and motherboard, why the heck would I settle for one GTX580? I would definitely be pretty excited about getting 2 of the best single-GPU's out there to complement the rest of my build. Also, ever considered NVIDIA's 3D surround? :)

20mmrain says thanks.
  17. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    No worries bud I understood what you meant. I take none of these posts with any offense. I asked the question and I really wanted to hear what people had to say about my purchase. :toast:

18. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    I have one: Jealous! :roll:

20mmrain says thanks.
  19. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Start Folding and make us proud :)

20. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Actually thought about it but I don't have anyone to show me the way. Care to suggest anywhere I could look into it on???

21. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88193

Enjoy :toast: If your electricity bill makes your 2 cards look cheap its not my fault :p

22. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received: