1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just wondering

Discussion in 'Storage' started by MadClown, Sep 2, 2009.

1. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I'll explain what I want to do with a story of what i actually want to do.

When ever I get Windows 7 I want to buy 2 500GB or so hard drives and set them to mirror and use that as my OS and important stuff drive. At the same time I want to buy another 1TB drive and set it up to strip with my other 1TB and use that for my games and recording. Is it possible to do this or am I sol.:D
  2. twilyth Guest

I'm not sure I understand and I don't use RAID myself so here's my best guess.

You would need 2 RAID controllers. The 2 500G drives would be set up as RAID0 for 100% mirroring. The 2 1T drives would be set up as either RAID0 or RAID10 (RAID 1+0) for data striping.

The only question is how you would migrate the data on the current 1T drive to the 2 1T RAID0 drives. My guess is that you would have to back that data up someplace first, but there might be a way to switch it over in place. Even if that's true though, I'd still want to have a backup to be sure.
  3. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    so i can have 2 raid controllers, would that equal another pci card, cause i got no space left, do they pcie 16x raid cards?
  4. k0rn_h0li0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    madclown i dont think so. only pci slots could use raid.

your other question about your hdd has been answered.

i wouldn't suggest you use those 500x2 as OS and whatnot rather have a single drive run as your OS. SSD or raptor. everything else is for storage.
    MadClown says thanks.
  5. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    if im not wrong your mobo has 2 sata ports that are from other controller and 4 from the sb600.

use the sb 600 for RAID 1 Mirroring and use the other 2 for RAID 0 Striping
    MadClown says thanks.
  6. JessicaD Microsoft Representative

Thanks Received:
    MadClown,

If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: http://tinyurl.com/nldc8p

Jessica
    Microsoft Windows Client Team
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Hiya MadClown,

Just dropping by to give some helpful advice. You may want to setup RAID1 for your 2x 500GB instead of RAID0.
    MadClown says thanks.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    RAID is worthless for home use.

setup a 500GB for your OS and games.

Partition in, i use 40GB for C: and the rest on D:
    Windows and programs go on C:, games go on D: (and large programs, like photoshop)

If and when something goes bad and you need to format, you only have to format the C: partition leaving you a mere 40GB to back up - your games and programs are on the D: drive and intact (even if they need a reinstall after the format, you have your saved games, downloads, etc all safe)

Then what you do, is anything important on your C: drive, you merely back up to the second 500. easy.
    MadClown says thanks.
  9. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^I dont have 500GBs, atm i have a 320GB for OS and my documents stuff like pictures, and a 1TB for everything else(I do have a 2TB that is setup externally, but i think it died,......again.....), I just wanted to overkill my drives, but what all of you are saying makes more sense than what I wanna do, maybe I could keep my 320(or ditch it and get a faster one, maybe an SSD in the future), and just buy another 1TB and strip it with the one I have already to get faster load times in games.