1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KBTalking Pro - Brief review :)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Binge, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    Today I had the pleasure of picking up my KBTalking Pro keyboard from the Post office. I've had about two hour and a half hours of typing while at my desk with this full sized 108 key Cherry MX-Blue keyboard.

[​IMG]

The specs & features of this keyboard DWARF the capabilities of most macro based keyboards.

This ridiculous spec sheet aside I do actually have a use for media keys and bluetooth at work. Why would I want to be fingering my phone when I could use the included phone pedestal and use my keyboard to navigate and type? My Galaxy S III works perfectly with the keyboard in Android mode. The 6-Key rollover has kept up with my quick but albeit sub 100 WPM typing speeds. I see no exceptions to the rollover with my PC or Phone.

The Cherry MX placement/board construction and stabilizers feel very solid. This is one of the nicest keyboards I've had the pleasure of using with quality rivaling Filco/Leopold. This would be recommended to anyone I know if they were looking for a hybrid bluetooth/USB full sized mechanical keyboard with multi-OS/device support.

kbfreak, cadaveca, Batou1986 and 2 others say thanks.
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Wow. Switching between USB and BT on the fly. Who'd of thought...

Looked at some reviews, the build is incredible.

Binge says thanks.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Let's say I just want a really good mechanical keyboard without the BT stuff. Would the $193 price tag still be worth it?

Binge says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Ok $200 is a lot for a keyboard but after reading what it can do its well worth the price.
    Looks like im going to be saving a bit longer for that new mechanical keyboard I wanted and really it only $60 bucks more then most decent Mech keyboards.
    Being able to press a key and switch from my pc to my phone and type a text at my desk with one keyboard = Mind Blown

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Binge says thanks.
  5. Binge

Thanks Received:
    When it comes to the keyboard stuff you are paying for a few things.

Without bluetooth the cost is in large derived from the following components,

A) Switch type
    B) Keyboard controller
    C) Keycaps (POM/PBT being the most expensive)

Switches in orders of 1000 are about $.78 USD/ea A 104 key keyboard costs 81.12 with the wholesale price in consideration. Say the direct price is 1/2 of that for a far larger order. That's still $40 just for the switches. The keyboard controller is about $2-$20 depending on the features. The keyboard controller in this case probably costs $20 in bulk. The keycaps are PTB in this case which on average cost $40USD in bulk for a 104 key set and basic pad-print legends.

This makes the cost to manufacture an estimated $100 USD for KBTalking if they are doing these in a large quantity. They are a small company so this can probably fluctuate by as much as +/-15%.

You can get an equal quality keyboard and save about $40-60 USD by getting a Leopold keyboard if you are interested in a full sized or 10-key less keyboard.

I would suggest a Leopold mechanical keyboard ($100-$120) for a similar typing experience without the bluetooth features. It would even support full NKRO by PS/2 and a similar USB rollover function.

6. Binge

Thanks Received:
    Also consider if you have a smart TV. I can tell you mine works with this keyboard.

7. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    The only thing i don't like is no back-lit keys id seriously pay like $240 if it had that too.

Binge says thanks.
  8. Binge

Thanks Received:
    KBTalking is one of those companies that releases a non-LED version first to make sure the basic keyboard sells, but they usually offer LED versions.

To be honest it would be very confusing with this keyboard without a multi-colored LED. You have SO MANY TOGGLES if every key were lit it would be hard to tell what functions you have enabled. I would expect if this takes off KBTalking will find a way to make it work.

In the meantime you could always mod your own keyboard ;) Cherry switches allow you to do that but I can't comment if the PCB is LED ready for all switches.

9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Find a Phillip's screw driver and let us know;)

On second thought, I wouldn't want to void a warranty if there is a sticker blocking a hole at $200!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Binge says thanks.
  10. Binge

Thanks Received:
    No stickers visible. I need to buy a smaller screw driver though lol An answer will be provided tonight most likely.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Nice review binge!! oh how such older style looking/working keyboards are coming back in the world.

Binge says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Binge

Thanks Received:
    To explain a few of the features I have used today during work.

The keyboard layout will change if you switch the mode of the keyboard or if you use the (FN) key in conjunction with a number of keys.

Example:

(FN)+Numpad 0-9 = Bluetooth select
    (FN)+vol down = Android mode
    (FN)+mute = PC Mode

Say I have my keyboard wired at the desk. My phone is on a stand paired as the 3rd device with my keyboard. Suddenly I get a text message and the phone vibrates. I would (without needing to unlock the phone) select FN+Num 3. This would enable keyboard connection to the phone. I would then FN+Vol down (android mode) and then release the FN and use the vol up once to turn it from vibrate with no volume to just no volume. F2 is Android Home pressing F2 again or any other key will unlock the screen. I can use the arrow keys to navigate my icons, alt tab for multi-task, or the menu key for android menu. I can go to texting, answer a text without touching the phone and then press F12 to lock the phone screen. Switching back to the PC is (FN)+Num Enter (USB connection) and (FN)+mute (PC mode).

cadaveca says thanks.
  13. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    And that's why it's worth the $200. Nice review, thanks. ;)

14. kbfreak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say absolutely, even at $193, but it's going for $169 (plus $9.95 shipping in US). I've had the pleasure of using quite a few mechanical keyboards, Duckys and CM Storms to name a few, but I am surprised how nice the KBT Pro feels. Very nice and solid!:toast: