1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

KDE 4 getting closer to public release

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Feb 25, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    KDE, or "K" for short, is a windows manager for the X window system in *nix. Without window managers like KDE or Gnome, the *nix GUI would be rather bleak. KDE is currently developing the next version of it's software, KDE 4. In this version, there will be a multi-lingual spell checker built into the window manager. There will also be much better support for hardware, and a gigantic tweak of the software that allows for interoperability between a Windows/Mac system and a *nix system. There is also "Dolphin", the new file manager. You can get more details of KDE4 off of dot.kde.org.

Source: Nordic Hardware
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, I can't wait. KDE is my preferred *nix desktop, and was in need of a refresh. Hopefully this also means ATI support will be improved, both in the chipset and gfx dept.
  3. NympH New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope the windows port will be good. Would be cool to run KDE on Window$! ;)
  4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    never ran unix/Linux nor KDE before, but it looks like they made several improvements.
  5. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    GNOME is more refined, but hopefully this will make me want to use KDE...
  6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    hrm. these GUIs are becoming bloated. i use fluxbox which is a very very light GUI that is extremely configurable. serves all the same purposes as GNOME/KDE without the fat. these days KDE is slowing my system down which means its of no use to me.