1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

keep getting VPU recover

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by DEFEATEST, Oct 18, 2008.

1. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, got a weird problem here. I'll be playing for a while, sometimes 5 mins sometimes longer and then screen locks up and I get a flash of the old VPU recover from ATI CCC, screen goes black then I get to go back in the game this time for a shorter period of time and eventually it CTD. This happens with all games so I don't think its the game. Then, back at desktop , close the VPU recover window and things seem fine but now all of my windows and internet scrolling are like a slide show, like I have no vid drivers. If I reboot all is well. And I cant get back in any game until I reboot. Running the latest ATI driver, and this has happend with 8.7 , 8.8 and 8.9 and I just installed 8.10 with the FAR CRY2 hotfix. I have done full reinstall of drivers, the proper way and re-installed DX9c and it still does it. I remember I had a stange time installing dot.net because of CCC. I installed ccc first and my dot.net wasnt up to date. And then I did a complete re-install of drivers after that just to make sure. But I think I did install it correctly.

Any ideas??

Man I hope its not the vid card, it's brand new~!!!

specs
    AMD 6400
    Palit 4870 512mb
    2gig corsair ddr 800
    winxp sp2 32bit

thanks in advance.

2. Mandown

Mandown New Member

Thanks Received:
    try adjusting the settings in game, if you have HDR and AA on, turn one off, that usually is what does it for me.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your temps getting to high. Download GPU-Z so you can check and monitor the temps of the card.

Make sure you get the latest one so you can check the logged temps.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

What i;ve had with my 2900XT

Black screen when changing from 2D to 3D vista versa power button only option i found it was not due to GPU or ram temps but other parts of the card.

Black screen but VPU kicks in and the driver and GPU are reset can carry on playing but if it happens to much your comp might crap out. Noticed this due to GPU temps being to high.

4. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:

Got me thinking with that lol... Don't the new ATI drivers allow you to change the fan speed on the 4xxx series lol ?.

6. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    should - haven't checked as I only run ATT . . . but because of my modded BIOS, I can't access the Overdrive feature in CCC anyhow . . .

ATT probably allows for tighter control than CCC does, though

7. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know my temps are quite normal, 50's to low 60's after playing for a while. Now I have played around with the overclocker in the new CCC, but the tests pass and it still does it at default settings. I don't overclock it or anything, heck I dont even have the turbo enabled. I will try the AA settings and will get the GPU-Z, which I've used before. Note> This has only started happening since I re-did windows about 2 weeks ago after a nasty trojan. Another question , I am now running bitdefender antivirus all the time and it goes into a game mode when playing, do you think this might have something to do with it?

8. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    not sure on the A/V software causing a GPU crash . . . but, it's highly recommended to disable A/V software when gaming

unless you're running MP, but I've only ever used WIN firewall for that and have personally never had any problems . . . don't take my word as gospel, though.

9. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Ok , I've tried manually adjusting the fan, no go. I'm not getting anymore than 55 degrees anyway. I disabled my antivirus (not shut it off completely) and my COD4 online seemed to be good, a hick up once but no CTD or vpu recover. So then I tried stalker clear skies sp, and it happened again just like normal. So I'm at a loss here. Vid card doesnt seem to be getting hot. Are there any really good stable drivers I should try? I heard 8.7's are stable. I guess I'll try and re-do all my vid drivers from scratch using driver cleaner. I'll let ya know! But anymore suggestions would be welcome!

10. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Well I thinks I got it. Turned everything back to defaults in CCC and it seems to work. Just played Stalker for over and hour with no probs. Man I have never had luck with any tweaking in CCC, ever! going back as far as my 9800 pro. Thanks for all your help and suggestions boys!

11. Focus182 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get the same problem .. it will happen if you have a OC on the gpu on the ati 4850 video card .. so turn your OC off .. its weird .. i dont know why it suddenly started happening .. ive also tried 8.6 , 8.7 , 8.8 , 8.9 , 8.10 and even 8.11 no fix at all

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    VPU Recovery, bah, never worked right from the beginning, i say turn that function off totally.