1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Keep my corsair H100i or get a high end air cooler?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by gasolin, Jul 23, 2013.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I have an i7 870 that runs standard to se how fast/slow it is compared to what it was oc'ed (3.520ghz)but also to se if there where any difference to the temperature (i don't think theres much difference on the speed and temperature).

I have a corsair h100i i bought as an upgrade to my cooler master v8 (i am not one who oc's my cpu to the extreme, i only have a standard P7H55 mb and a non k cpu)

I think it's to noisy my corsair H100I (haven't tried fans like the corsair sp pwm), so i was wondering if i should sell it and get a Noctua NH-D14 (i have someone who wants to buy it), also the Phanteks PH-TC14PE that costs almost the same as the nuctua is a air cpu cooler that i could buy instad of the noctua and as an alternative to a corsair H100i

What would you recomend me, try new fans or get a Noctua NH-D14, mabye something like a Phanteks PH-TC14PE or something similar? Mabye the ZALMAN CNPS 12X that performs very good in this review/comparison and is cheaper then the Noctua and Phanteks http://www.custompcreview.com/revie...r-cooler-master-noctua-phanteks-zalman/17117/

What is the best quiet/silent cpu air cooler at the price of the Noctua and Phanteks?
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Try new Corsair SP fans. Sidegrading your cooler just isnt a smart decision...
  3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I put a H100i fan inside my CM v8 and it made it into a monster. I also have it on a fan controller at about 1800 rpm.
    RCoon says thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Yup, I have four H100 fans hooked up to my custom water loop because they're the best Static Pressure 25mm fans you can get! Stole two from my old cooler
  5. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    The SP120 corsair fans are beasts in terms of performance but even at low RPM they will be clearly audible. They were a moderate upgrade for my old H100 (4x push-pull SP120 at 1200rpm gave me more than 5c temp drop). However it was still too noisy for me. Now I got a custom WC loop with Noiseblocker fans (also at 1200 PRM) and I am really impressed by their silent operation. I have no real way of comparing them to SP120 but I can tell you the system is cool enough and they are MUCH more silent than the SP120 at 1200 rpm.

Additionally, both AF and SP corsair fan series are very noisy (extra noise from air sucking) when you place something very close to them like a radiator or an dust filter. Unlike those, the Noiseblockers that I bought are still silent.

All in all, you can choose to sacrifice no more than 2-3c to get totally silent operation.
  6. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i got a normal Corsair H100 and sure push and pull does give better temps, but also depends on the fans u use.

atm i only use 2x Noctua NF-F12 PWN give don't make much noise but still give good air through the rad.
  7. Grey_beard

Grey_beard Corsair Rep

Thanks Received:
    I'd try the SP120 PWM fans.. but make sure to get the Quiet Edition if you are leaning towards silent operation.
  8. gasolin

Thanks Received:

As i wrote somehere if been recomended not to use the sp quiet.

Have bought a new cpu cooler because of the noise

Thermalright True Spirit 140
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I hope that true spirit works for you, but for what its worth, its better to just buy the fan you want and mount it to your current cooler.
    Buy 4x Cougar 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Flui.... Don't buy another cooler just because of the noise, you need to just get better fans. The h100 SP120L fans are designed for pure performance and are very very loud. Even my Koolance 120x38mm fans are quieter.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    ^^Don't by those Cougar fans. the specs are exaggerated. The low DBa noise level number they are giving is miss leading. They are reporting that noise level, just when the fan is getting enough volts to start spinning up which is about 6-7v. Beyond that it gets far louder, and certain mounting configuration cause the fans to make a high pitched noise.
  11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Never tried them horizontal, is that the position? I've heard they die when horizontal. I might be deaf but I don't hear them unless I am 1 foot away.
  12. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    yes, horizontal.
  13. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    i have the same setup (well amd 8350 etc and ) and am using a push pull arrangement with arctic cooling f12pro fans on top(pull) and coolermaster excalibur on the bottom (push)...

btw, I placed a "spacer" an old fan frame, to reduce the turbulence of the excalibur fan... and to allow me use wood screws to hold the fans to the spacers. ( the spacers or held to the h100i using the short bolts supplied

BTW... beautiful, and clean it is not...and quiet at idle.

the graphics card is the gtx650 ... i am just testing it right now...
    my regular card is in the last photo...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  14. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Waaauw buy 4 fans for 56$/42€

Have asked on other site which fans to get and i would never get a real silent corsair H100i

I have tried going back to standard settings (ram is set to 1600mhz c,kingston hyper x 1600mhz ram or else it would have been 1333mhz) instead of 3.520 ghz and i dont miss anymore power an temperatures is a bit lower (not by much though) so i really don't need that much cooling power. (i7 870 cpu)

One last thing is i have set the fans already to 500 rpm and i can definitely hear my cpu cooler (quiet setting is 1150rpm), i can't imagine somebody that would say a corsair hH100i is a silent cpu cooler